2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4L 3V with miss, rough idle and codes P0340, P0344, P0345, and P0349

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:22 PM
ikaro
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi

hi

yesterday another mechanic came to my house, he start the car and he told me that he was so sure about the problem of the trucck. He told me the problem is the fuel pump because the fuel pump are not working fine. Do you believe on this diagnostic? he told something about that if the fuel dont get to the engine with a good pressure he might show this codes.

im not sure about this and also I dont want to spend more money with out fix the car.

help

Old 05-15-2014, 12:40 PM
lEford
New User
My ford F-150 rough idle problem

Trying to find anyone who has found the problem dealing with rough idle, and the codes of PO340 and 345, I changed both and its still running rough.
Do you think I should take it to the dealer? Thank you in advance on any help you can give me.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:16 PM
VTX1800N1
Junior User
Originally Posted by ikaro
hi

yesterday another mechanic came to my house, he start the car and he told me that he was so sure about the problem of the trucck. He told me the problem is the fuel pump because the fuel pump are not working fine. Do you believe on this diagnostic? he told something about that if the fuel dont get to the engine with a good pressure he might show this codes.

im not sure about this and also I dont want to spend more money with out fix the car.

help
The only way to be sure is to place a fuel pressure gauge on it. What was the reported fuel pressure at idle and under load at WOT?

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup

Old 05-17-2014, 12:21 PM
VTX1800N1
Junior User
Originally Posted by lEford
Trying to find anyone who has found the problem dealing with rough idle, and the codes of PO340 and 345, I changed both and its still running rough.
Do you think I should take it to the dealer? Thank you in advance on any help you can give me.
Check the computer wiring harness nearest the passenger fender for chafed wiring. Check your VCT solenoids for broken oil screens (will require buying 2 new seals at ~$13 each). Unplug both VCTs (will generate trouble codes and a CEL, but won't hurt anything but high RPM power and fuel economy) and report whether the problem persists. Remember to clear codes between each test.

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Voyager5974
New User
Originally Posted by lEford
I was having lots of problems with driver side codes PO0345, PO0349' PO022 and a couple of others. tried switching sensors and solenoids driver side with passenger side with no change. my 5.4 would run good while driving but when trying to park and make low rpm maneuvers it would run rough and sometimes stall. I found a blog that talked about changing the oil to 15W40 the oil used in diesels, and it worked, no more problems. that was a month ago. The actual cause of all the problems is the oil pressure drops to low at idle and will not advance the cam shaft for low rpm speed, causing a miss diagnosed problem of the cam timing being out by one tooth. The test for this problem is a short rev of the engine about 1500 rpms rill push the cam back in time until you try to maneuver again and it gets retarded. hope this helps all others with this problem in the future, I will be reducing to a slightly thinner oil before winter and keep reducing at each oil change until I find a happy medium.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Voyager5974
New User
I was having lots of problems with driver side codes PO0345, PO0349' PO022 and a couple of others. tried switching sensors and solenoids driver side with passenger side with no change. my 5.4 would run good while driving but when trying to park and make low rpm maneuvers it would run rough and sometimes stall. I found a blog that talked about changing the oil to 15W40 the oil used in diesels, and it worked, no more problems. that was a month ago. The actual cause of all the problems is the oil pressure drops to low at idle and will not advance the cam shaft for low rpm speed, causing a miss diagnosed problem of the cam timing being out by one tooth. The test for this problem is a short rev of the engine about 1500 rpms rill push the cam back in time until you try to maneuver again and it gets retarded. hope this helps all others with this problem in the future, I will be reducing to a slightly thinner oil before winter and keep reducing at each oil change until I find a happy medium. PS I tried the seafoam with minor results

Old 07-30-2014, 09:14 AM
tzr250rg
New User
Originally Posted by Voyager5974
I was having lots of problems with driver side codes PO0345, PO0349' PO022 and a couple of others. tried switching sensors and solenoids driver side with passenger side with no change. my 5.4 would run good while driving but when trying to park and make low rpm maneuvers it would run rough and sometimes stall. I found a blog that talked about changing the oil to 15W40 the oil used in diesels, and it worked, no more problems. that was a month ago. The actual cause of all the problems is the oil pressure drops to low at idle and will not advance the cam shaft for low rpm speed, causing a miss diagnosed problem of the cam timing being out by one tooth. The test for this problem is a short rev of the engine about 1500 rpms rill push the cam back in time until you try to maneuver again and it gets retarded. hope this helps all others with this problem in the future, I will be reducing to a slightly thinner oil before winter and keep reducing at each oil change until I find a happy medium. PS I tried the seafoam with minor results

I have the same symptoms except i only get p0345 and p0349 ...i noticed when i unplug the oil temp sensor the truck run better without stalling. as soon as i plug it in the rough idle comes back and wants to stall.

Does this have something to do with the temp of the oil? My truck runs good when its cold and only runs bad at idle when truck has been running for 10min.

any thoughts?

thank you

Old 08-02-2014, 03:20 PM
tzr250rg
New User
Ok.... Here is a little update ....So I changed my vct solenoids last night, ....I drove my truck for about 5 miles around town to get it up to temperature and I did not get any codes.
What I found, when I removed bank2 vct solenoid(driver side which is the side that I got codes from 0345 and 0349), was very small metal flake (smaller and finer than glitter... When rubbed between my fingers looked like a paste). My thought is that this could have clogged the vct solenoid and be the cause of the problem.
Well Saturday morning I will be driving a little more so I will update you guys how my truck is running.

Oh and I bought the vct solenoids with seals on eBay from a ford dealer in Ohio $114.95

So i drove my truck this morning aprox. 100 miles today and I did not get the engine codes back. I passed NJ inspection with no problems truck seem to be running a little smoother and idle is steady at 600rpm. AS far as the metal found on the solenoid i don't know what to make of it. However, I change my oil twice, plus an oil filter with in a week before replacing the solenoids and it came out clean. .. any thoughts on the metal found on the solenoid?

Just wanted to update this forum with my info in case this helps.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Voyager5974
New User
some oil filters that are not ford OEM filters can break down and clog the flow of oil. the solenoids only start working when engine warms up and the computer changer the timing, when you unplug the temp sensor the computer thinks the engine is cold and will not change timing. I removed my solenoids and they were both clean. the thicker oil is working good for me.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Jiffy_1
New User
Truck won't start. Help!!!

I just bout a 06 F150 5.4 3V for $2,700 and with 134,000 miles. The previous owner took it to a shop and this is what they diagnosed. "Scan test computer system-engine poor run condition, codes present- P0340- cam position sensor circuit fault & P0345 can position sensor 'A' circuit problem bank two. No additional codes present. Replac defective right side can sensor & wire assembly, remove & install left valve cover for inspection-noise"
I tried to start the truck but I cant get it to turn over more than a few times at a time. Any ideas or help is much appreciated. Thanks Jeff

Old 09-29-2014, 08:37 AM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
Try 5w40. It will work year round for most.

Originally Posted by Voyager5974
I was having lots of problems with driver side codes PO0345, PO0349' PO022 and a couple of others. tried switching sensors and solenoids driver side with passenger side with no change. my 5.4 would run good while driving but when trying to park and make low rpm maneuvers it would run rough and sometimes stall. I found a blog that talked about changing the oil to 15W40 the oil used in diesels, and it worked, no more problems. that was a month ago. The actual cause of all the problems is the oil pressure drops to low at idle and will not advance the cam shaft for low rpm speed, causing a miss diagnosed problem of the cam timing being out by one tooth. The test for this problem is a short rev of the engine about 1500 rpms rill push the cam back in time until you try to maneuver again and it gets retarded. hope this helps all others with this problem in the future, I will be reducing to a slightly thinner oil before winter and keep reducing at each oil change until I find a happy medium.
. Use 5W40

Old 05-14-2015, 01:50 PM
06mikes
Freshman User
aftermarket vct solenoid

Just a help for others. I changed the phasers (oem) and chains tensioner and guides. Put in aftermarket oil pump, and vct solenoids. Check engine light went out. Later once up to operating temp it would idle rough, no codes, give it gas and would smooth out. Read everything I could, cleaned MAF throttle body, new air filter, checked vacuum leaks. Still acting up. Sounds like crap and stalls. Finally a code cam up po340 and another time p0345. I thought can't be everything is new even cam sensors. I finally read on a forum that aftermarket vct solenoid cause issues at low rpm. So I bought 2 oem solenoids and notice they were a 1/4 inch longer. Aftermarket screens don't line up with oil ports in the vct solenoid body. Day 4 and no issues, truck runs like a champ. Lesson learned oem parts.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:59 PM
Voyager5974
New User
my problem with driver side codes PO0345, PO0349' PO022 returned and has been on going for some time. ran flush after flush, sludge reducers, slick 50... then this past weekend I went under the hood checking for bad wires and connectors, what I found was a single wire connector for what I believe is a noise filter. The plug was dirty and green, I cleaned it, reset the codes and it has been ok for 3 days so far.
there are two of these, one for each bank. the one I had trouble with was bank 2 the drivers side. It is bolted to the front of the engine behind the power steering pump fluid holder bracket and plugs in next to the holder. If this is the cause, I believe it may have been allowing noise it travel back to the computer causing miss information! only time will tell

Old 11-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Chris Antash
New User
my truck is 2007 f150 with 5.4 I have this problem now....changed the cam sensors the variable timing solenoids the cats the manifolds and spark plugs most of the coils....anyone know what else I can try besides the phasers

Old 11-12-2015, 05:54 PM
Chris Antash
New User
mine is a 2007 f150 with the 5.4.....133,000 miles...

Quick Reply: 5.4L 3V with miss, rough idle and codes P0340, P0344, P0345, and P0349