1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Rebuilding 5.0 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 08:32 AM
nordo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding 5.0 EFI

All,
Been thinking about rebuilding my 5.0 EFI as its getting on in years. I have heard that these SD EFI motors dont go any harder with any head work (or anything else for that matter) unless you you do a Mass Air conversion?

I'm sure someone out there knows about this stuff! I certainly dont.

Cheers

Nordo

Old 03-20-2003, 05:02 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rebuilding 5.0 EFI

More air in & out always helps, but I'm not an engine guru. I've heard about 351W heads, free-flowing exhausts, etc. Someone will give you the specifics soon...

Old 03-23-2003, 02:14 PM
cbwarrior
Senior User
Rebuilding 5.0 EFI

I've heard that as long as the mods are small, the O2 sensor will adjust for the changes, as long as you do not go wild and do the nitrous, huge cam, etc.

Old 03-23-2003, 08:52 PM
PigFarmer
Senior User
Rebuilding 5.0 EFI

You can do more to a SD system than most people will tell you. The truck in my sig is speed density. I just finished it up and have a couple hundred miles on it. I'm currently evaluating for any problems in the air/fuel ratio and haven't found any strange things yet. The SD system is compensating very well to the mods. Cam choice is probably the most important thing. This engine runs very well and I'm quite pleased with it.

Randy

Old 03-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,377 Posts
Rebuilding 5.0 EFI

I know the theory, but don't have any actual experiences like the other guys.

The computer has to have a way to know how much fuel to add to the engine to make it run it's best. On a speed density system, they take a specific engine combo, and using throttle position, vacuum(map sensor), and a few other inputs, from testing at the factory they know the engine needs a certain amount of fuel. They plug these fuel numbers in a chart in the memory in the computer, so it continually looks in it's memory for how much fuel to deliver for the inputs it receives.

If you change the engine combo too much, the computer does not know it in a speed density system since it was programmed for a stock engine. So for the inputs it receives, the numbers in the memory chart are now wrong for the new combo.

In a mass air system, instead of assuming how much air is going into the engine from throttle position and the map sensor, it is measuring the flow of air directly. So it can adapt if the engine is modified from stock.

Old 03-24-2003, 11:17 PM
nordo
Freshman User
Rebuilding 5.0 EFI

I have heard that some Mustangs in the States came out with MA, I believe this is some type of sensor in the throtle body. Was this a 5.0litre or 5.8?

Q.Has anyone done this converion? will this be compatible with AOD or will u need E4OD?

Q.can you get a MA computer/harness on to a 351 SD?

Ponderings

Nordo