General Automotive Discussion

Pickup? or Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:12 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pickup? or Truck?

I don't know exactly how to explain what the difference is other than I know one when I see one, but to me, there are pickups, and then there are trucks.

Pickups are multi-purpose vehicles, trucks are strictly for hauling something.

Trying to figure out if this is a generational thing, or a regional thing, or something else.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Oh and if you're not too bashful post your age, region, whether you're urban or country folk, and whether a F-150 is a pickup or a truck.

I'm 44, grew up on the high plains (Western Nebraska), country folk, and it's definitely a pickup.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Well, I'm 57. I am a country boy at heart (born in Newport, Tennessee), but, I'm stuck here, working in Washington, DC.

I've called vehicles such as the F-150 several names (and still do).

Ford
Pick-up
Truck

I never really thought about what I've called them, until now.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you post a pic of your interpretation of each? Please don't post a hand truck, lol(even though if it is built to hauls, it is a truck).

Old 04-19-2011, 02:22 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Copedawg
Can you post a pic of your interpretation of each? Please don't post a hand truck, lol(even though if it is built to hauls, it is a truck).
To me, lets' just say a F-550 and anything smaller (payload wise) with a bed is a pickup.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:25 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Pickup:

Truck

Old 04-19-2011, 02:27 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Pickup:

Truck:

Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

I see. What if you drove a car your whole life and then at the ripe old age of 44, you bought a F350...would you feel the same?
If you drove a tractor/tailer for years and years then jumped in a F550 you may see it differently. Just wondering, inquiring minds want to know
Truck | Define Truck at Dictionary.com
pickup truck - definition of pickup truck by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I spose it is in the eye of the beholder

Old 04-19-2011, 02:39 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Copedawg
I see. What if you drove a car your whole life and then at the ripe old age of 44, you bought a F350...would you feel the same?
If you drove a tractor/tailer for years and years then jumped in a F550 you may see it differently. Just wondering, inquiring minds want to know
Truck | Define Truck at Dictionary.com
pickup truck - definition of pickup truck by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I spose it is in the eye of the beholder
My experience has been that professional "truck" drivers I have known usually make the distinction between their "truck" and a "pickup". Again, I don't know if that is a regional thing or what?

I had a roommate in college from Illinois that drove a Dodge Rampage.

He called it his "truck".

Old 04-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Perhaps a "truck" requires a CDL? 5 TON and larger? (unless it is a hand truck, ofcourse)

Old 04-19-2011, 04:27 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I live in Illinois(sucks,for sure),am 40 years old,and around here,an f150,ranger,whatever is called a truck by most people,there are a few older folks I work with/members of my family that call them pickups. I do think it is a regional thing. I have never had someone ask me if they can borrow my "pickup". lol I might be tempted to say "I am fresh out of pickups,so how about a put down?"

Old 04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
born and raised alaskan, 21yr old and we call basicly anything thats not a car a truck.

my excursion, expedition, explorer and f-250 are all my "trucks". when talking about a big rig i use the same word "truck" so i guess it could be a little confusing if you didn't know what was exactly being talked about.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:05 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
A fork lift is a fork truck to me so that's another one.

I call an F150 and smaller a car for the most part.

Past that I go by how a vehicle appears to be used. If an F350 is just a grandpa drives it around cause he likes to have it then it's a pickup. If it actually looks like it goes out and gets used then it's a truck.

I call a dump truck (typically a triaxle around here) or tractor trailer a big truck.

I'm 18 and from Connecticut, but I've grown up around triaxles, tractor trailers, and pickups all my life. I'm going for my class A CDL as soon as I can afford it.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
55, out in the west and country.

Anything with a styleside/stepside bed is a "pickup." Anything other than a pickup bed is usually defined as a truck by the type of bed it has. Flatbed truck, stakebed truck, tow truck...etc. Though flatbed pickup or stakebed pickup would still be correct for F150/250/350. Then it is being defined by the cab style.

Always heard that "pickup" got it's name because anybody walking by who see's something they like, can just reach in and pick it up!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:33 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket
I call a dump truck (typically a triaxle around here) or tractor trailer a big truck.

I'm 18 and from Connecticut, but I've grown up around triaxles, tractor trailers, and pickups all my life. I'm going for my class A CDL as soon as I can afford it.
I'm assuming a triaxle is the same thing we call a twin screw (a tandem rear axle) truck?

Originally Posted by horsepuller
55, out in the west and country.

Anything with a styleside/stepside bed is a "pickup." Anything other than a pickup bed is usually defined as a truck by the type of bed it has. Flatbed truck, stakebed truck, tow truck...etc. Though flatbed pickup or stakebed pickup would still be correct for F150/250/350. Then it is being defined by the cab style.
I agree, anything that has a factory styleside bed is definitely a pickup. To me, a flatbed or stakebed is still a pickup up through a F-550.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
I don't know that it matters much, although some people can get downright upset about it...

I've always called them a truck. From a Ranger on up. I don't think I'd call one of those Rancho things a truck, though. Nor an Explorer, Expedition, Excursion, etc.

I suspect you call it whatever you learned to call it from your parents, and so on.

Quick Reply: Pickup? or Truck?