Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Old vs the new

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 02:05 AM
Z28James73
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old vs the new

Hey everyone, you people are smart let me ask you this question. My friend was having a discussion with someone else, the other person said that a brand new engine could be nowhere no how matched by an engine thats technology is 35 so years old. what do you think? newer engines > than older muscle cars, ect?

personally...i think maybe newer engines make better use of their displacement and are more effecient, but this guy was saying that a n/a engine couldnt compare. but here was my example, 69 mach 1...351..290h[/380ftlbs torque..compared to a 97 camaro SS...285hp/325ft lbs torque..just cuz thats all i could think of off the top of my head. anyways...your thought?

Old 03-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Ranger79
New User
Old vs the new

almost any of the "muscle car" era motors can be made to run with the new technology size for size. All it takes is the proper combination.

Old 03-20-2003, 12:33 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Old vs the new

Based on engine #'s there is no way to compare power figures pre-'71 to to today. Totally different way of measurement.

Based on track times, the newer motors simply walk all over the muscle car era. The so called 450HP vettes, 425 HP hemis, 375 HP Fords are getting smoked by the 300 HP rated cars of today. The 390/400 HP cars of today are in the 12's compared to high 13's for the stock big block monsters

Yes, tire technology does play a roll and weight always gets mentioned(believe it or not, newer cars are pretty heavy when compared to the bigger cars of the 60's.) But all things considered, the newer/smaller motors not only make more power but are many times more economical and more drivable.

Old 03-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Skeetkiller
Senior User
Old vs the new

Marauder may have a point, but I got a great comparison. Well I think it is great anyway

Remember when the Viper came out, everyone said that it was awesome, which it is, but I remember the comparison they did between that and the 66 Cobra 429. The Cobra won on every aspect of the test. Not by much, but it did win.

So the theory that old vs new holds some credit, just got to have the right match ups. The newer motors all rev higher and make their hp way up there, where as the old muscle cars were lots of hp and ALOT of torque. There is no way that the torque numbers compare. I am sure they might be similar, but look at the rpm's where they come in, my money is on the older ones having more torque at lower rpm.

Also the tranny tech is way better now than it was back then, so like I said, you gotta have the right match up. Fuel injection does alot also.

Old 03-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old vs the new

That was a 427 not a 429. Only a couple cubes, but a completely different animal.

Old 03-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Skeetkiller
Senior User
Old vs the new

Sorry, I thought that it was a 429 side oiler. Oh well. Both are great motors.