6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

5th wheel versus tagalong

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th wheel versus tagalong

I have been towing a tagalong trailer for years. It is time to upgrade and I have been looking at a number of different manufacturers. When Epic switched over to a 5th wheel trailer, I started thinking about looking at them.

Having no experience with 5th wheelers, what are the true advantages of a 5th wheeler over a tagalong? Is it just weight capacity or are there other benefits? I have seen a number of flipped tagalongs over the years, are 5th wheelers that much more stable? Educate me please...

Old 04-16-2011, 05:34 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Advantages of a 5er as I see them.
I have to preface this by saying I have never pulled a tag along.

1. More stable not as much sway
2. Easier to backup, the longer the easier.
3. Easier to setup, I have watched others and it takes them twice as to set up their tag along
4. If you have more people than can fit in the truck they may ride in the 5er, illegal to have people in a tag along.
5. More room to store gear it the 5er's basement.
6. More Headroom at 6'4" I need it.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:41 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Stability, stability, stability. Think of how you drive your current trailer now. For my tag trailer, it was always two hands on the wheel even with the Equalizer hitch. With the fifth wheel, I rarely use two hands. The physics of passing semi's and the wind blast they create allows the tag trailer to push on the truck in a far more "levered" position. Creating a lateral force on the truck behind the bumper verses the same lateral force over the rear axles means the tag trailer is going to have more leverage on the truck and require driver correction. The 5er is SOOOO much easier to pull, I find myself less tired when I arrive at my destination.

Backing up is still a challenge. I could back my tag trailers within an inch of where I wanted very quickly but I haven't mastered the fifth wheel yet. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but they are different from one another. I also do not have enough room to turn 90 degrees without damaging the back of the cab. It's something I always have to be aware of. Sliders or long beds don't have this issue.

Turning is different also. The 5er cuts inside of the truck tracks quite a bit more. I have to pay attention or I'll go over curbs or pull into something I don't want to. I just make sure to swing very wide on turns. Granted my trailer is very long at 39' 11". Shorter fifth wheels will have less of a problem that way.

My 5er is also a lot taller, over 13 feet. I'm very careful about pulling into a gas station or trees on the side of the road.

All said and done, I will have a hard time ever going back to a tag trailer. The overall pulling experience is just so much easier.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Quite a few of our friends have tow behinds. I've always had a fifth wheel. The best advice I can give you is to try one out. Every one of my friends that have driven my fiver in tow have commented something like:

"wow...so this is what it's like to not have a death grip on the wheel for the entire trip?"

Seriously...several have said that. The only downsides, if you can call them that are:

Slower response when backing
Less access to truck bed

Other than that, I got nothin'....try one and you'll never go back.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:23 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
You guys and your5th wheels are funny...

Get an Airstream!!!! Don't screw around with a S.O.B

SHane

Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by srkr
You guys and your5th wheels are funny...

Get an Airstream!!!! Don't screw around with a S.O.B

SHane
Those are neat, but just not big enough for many of us. Maybe when the kids are gone on their own, but not now.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:28 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
They make them in 34 footers,..mine is only a 25.

The main reason I bought mine was Longevity.

Plus A LOT easier to tow than a 5th wheel or a cracker box.

Shane

Old 04-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
They make them in 34 footers,..mine is only a 25.

The main reason I bought mine was Longevity.

Plus A LOT easier to tow than a 5th wheel or a cracker box.

Shane
Easier to tow than a fiver? How so?

We had to move up to a 37' with 2 slides and 2 bathrooms last year. The kids like to bring friends so this works out perfectly for us.

I do like the retro look of the exterior of the Airstreams.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Better wind resistance. Also with the proper weight distribution and sway control it's like butter on the road,,..not to mention the fuel mileage.

The MAIN reason is state parks don't allow most 5th wheels because of the size.
To each his own..I can't stand RV parks.

Eventhough, they look Retro..mines a 2010. ..Yes Airstream still makes them...LOL

SHane

Old 04-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Better wind resistance. Also with the proper weight distribution and sway control it's like butter on the road,,..not to mention the fuel mileage.

The MAIN reason is state parks don't allow most 5th wheels because of the size.
To each his own..I can't stand RV parks.

Eventhough, they look Retro..mines a 2010. ..Yes Airstream still makes them...LOL

SHane
Ya, we've been told we can't bring a 30' or larger into state parks, but we've never been turned away in the last 5 years and we always fit on the site.

I knew yours was newer just from the inside...very nice.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Sounds like something I need to spend some research time on. To be honest, never even been in a 5th wheeler. Saw them on the lots but grew on up on tags and never gave them serious consideration. I like the stability comments. I have seen the remnants of 3 tag accidents and actually saw 1 happen (wind related). I always called the days where I had a death grip on the wheel; "knucklers" (for the white knuckles at the end of the day).

Epic - I saw your desert videos, including the one where you were putting your ATVs inside. Are the toys sharing the living space? I also was amazed at the height of the trailer!

Shane - if I do stay with tags, I certainly will look at the Airstreams. Really beautiful designs and clean lines.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:57 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
You get a lot of storage and space living space that is with a 5th wheel. you get a washer dryer hook ups,big TV's recliners with the 5th wheel....An Airstream is a different animal. What we spent on our Airstream would seem like a mansion money wise.I am shocked to what I could have gotten. But push on the walls of a 5th wheel and let the elements tear it up for 5 years and there is no comparison....again IMO. But IMO, you get what you pay for. 30 years from now, mine will still be on the road.

Sums up like this...Do you want Quality or Quantity?

Either way, do what you like.

Shane

Old 04-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
You get a lot of storage and space living space that is with a 5th wheel. you get a washer dryer hook ups,big TV's recliners with the 5th wheel....An Airstream is a different animal. What we spent on our Airstream would seem like a mansion money wise.I am shocked to what I could have gotten. But push on the walls of a 5th wheel and let the elements tear it up for 5 years and there is no comparison....again IMO. But IMO, you get what you pay for. 30 years from now, mine will still be on the road.

Shane
I have no doubt that the Airstream is a finely built camper. I don't know what they cost, but I have to wonder what type of discount you can get on them. Our last 2 fivers were bought new at nearly 50% off sticker as ordered units. I sold each one for what we paid for them 3 years after we bought them. The one I bought this past year, also an ordered 2011 unit, was purchased for 46% off list. There is a HUGE markup in campers, although I don't know how Airstream plays in that.

For most camper models you need to find a dealer that's willing to work with a 40% discount at a minimum. Any more than that and you're just over paying.

Personally, I can't imagine keeping a camper more than 5-6 years, but I know people do keep them longer than that. As soon as the kids are out of the house (5 years) I expect that we'll downsize to a 20'-24' unit and smaller truck.

It's a lot of fun shopping for campers...see if you can find a big show near you and look at as many as you can. We still go to the shows just for something to do.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Sums up like this...Do you want Quality or Quantity?

Shane
I am hoping it is a buyer's market this summer as I begin my search. I get your comments on the build quality. A couple of the tags I saw flipped were in absolute pieces. Look like a tornado went through them. I'm sure the manufacturers are trying to keep weight down (as well as costs). I guess that is why we aren't seeing more composite materials in them.

Speaking of flimsy, when I was waxing the top of my cab, I leaned over to reach the middle and dented the frigging cab roof! What the heck is with that??!!

Old 04-16-2011, 10:13 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Biggziff
I have no doubt that the Airstream is a finely built camper. I don't know what they cost, but I have to wonder what type of discount you can get on them. Our last 2 fivers were bought new at nearly 50% off sticker as ordered units. I sold each one for what we paid for them 3 years after we bought them. The one I bought this past year, also an ordered 2011 unit, was purchased for 46% off list. There is a HUGE markup in campers, although I don't know how Airstream plays in that.

For most camper models you need to find a dealer that's willing to work with a 40% discount at a minimum. Any more than that and you're just over paying.

Personally, I can't imagine keeping a camper more than 5-6 years, but I know people do keep them longer than that. As soon as the kids are out of the house (5 years) I expect that we'll downsize to a 20'-24' unit and smaller truck.

It's a lot of fun shopping for campers...see if you can find a big show near you and look at as many as you can. We still go to the shows just for something to do.
Here are some vauge numbers for ya....Mine stickered for 73,000. I got it for about 14% off.

I could of had a NICE 5th wheel for that kind of money..but to me this a long term commitment.

Example:
http://www.colonialairstream.com/air...166/index.html

Shane

Quick Reply: 5th wheel versus tagalong