1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Building my 53

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Building my 53

I'm in the middle of boxing my complete frame front to back. I started working on my 53 after someone else took it apart. I have searched all over for pictures of rolling frames with brake lines/fuel lines and wiring installed........can't find any? The reason this is important to me is I'm wanting to run it all before I weld out the boxing plates hidden inside the frame. If anybody has a picture or two of their trucks plumbing I would really like to see them.......does not have to be pictures of boxed frames, it would give me an idea of where to start my conduit inside my frame and stop it. and an idea of where to start n stop brake/gas lines.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:22 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the brake and gas lines should NOT be hidden inside the boxed chassis. If they fail, the fluids would be dumped inside the chassis with no method to clean it up.
not to mention the inability to repair those lines.

a conduit for the wires is ok.

Sam

Old 04-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
I was thinking it would be ok being a long staight run of stainless steel on the inside of the frame. I may still be able to do it by cutting three 3'' holes out of the boxing plates. I could put one at each end and one in the middle for access and also mount all the tubing at these locations.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
I know what you are saying Sam and you are right, but I really want it on the inside..........Im just going to have to design it where I can repair on it when the time comes.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:54 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Layed Out 100
I was thinking it would be ok being a long staight run of stainless steel on the inside of the frame. I may still be able to do it by cutting three 3'' holes out of the boxing plates. I could put one at each end and one in the middle for access and also mount all the tubing at these locations.
I hear yah, but you have to bend it sometime, someplace, and I don't know how you do that if its hidden inside, and I don't know how you repair it..

you can bend them ahead of time, but then they are not repairable later..

Sam

Old 04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
All the frames that I've seen boxed had tubing built into the frame to pull wires, brakeline, and fuel lines. All installed after the frame is welded... leaving lines and wires, then boxing it in is dangerus since you can no longer see and check it. another thing is make sure you seal the metal inside where your boxing it, add some drain holes to the low spots and side of the frame, with the frame is when you truck is at it ride angle. It's ugly when the frame rusts from not being able to drain...

Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
check out my gallery, i do have the brake line in the frame rail, i made sure the line was painted before and fastened properly with clams and rubber so it would not wear out anywhere, the boxing plates holes were drilled oversized and rubber line slid onto the brake line line and siliconed shut, i also ran conduit tubing on both sides of the frame to run wiring ,air lines ect, my fuel lines will be the only thing on the outside of my frame.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:09 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't anyone put lightning holes in the frame boxing plates anymore? Back when, it seems like everyone did it. You could run your lines, run bolts thru the outside of the frame, repaint the inside, etc. Do you lose any strength with the holes? Also saves some weight. I was planning to install lightning holes in mine. Opinions please. chuck

Old 04-14-2011, 08:40 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in the middle of boxing my complete frame front to back. I have searched all over for pictures of rolling frames with brake lines/fuel lines and wiring installed. The reason this is important to me is I'm wanting to run it all before I weld out the boxing plates hidden inside the frame...
I heard there was a Ritalin shortage but this is the first evidence I've seen of it!

Old 04-15-2011, 06:39 AM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Craig, thanks for the tip about drain holes at ride angle. I wil be doing this.

Gil, thanks for the invite to your gallery,sounds like you have done exactly what I'm wanting to do to mine.

Chuck, Yea I lots of people do cut holes big enuf to get an hand inside of the boxed frame.......I seen them do one on one of those sunday truck tv shows with 3'' holes all the way down the boxing plates to save weight. I may do this also

Vern,????? just trying to work on my truck man. This is my first time completly building one from the frame up. learning as I go

Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Vern,????? just trying to work on my truck man. This is my first time completly building one from the frame up. learning as I go
It's all cool man...just messing with ya!

Since you're boxing the entire frame I assume you are going with IFS and IRS 'cause that's the only reason to box the entire frame...

Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The frame that I bought for my project was already boxed. There are several bolt on panels along the length of the frame. It won't be as strong as it would have been if the entire length was welded, but I do have access to the inside of the frame.

Dan

Old 04-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Vern, I didnt know how to take you. I didnt know if you were picking on my paragraph or my project!

Yes I will be making my own four link and installing a fatman front end.

Dan, I bet its strong enuf. One friend that will be doing my welds say I could skip welding it out solid.......I guess welds would be several inches apart top and bottom. All the tv shows I have seen them cut out circles with hole saws and they claim its strong enuf to be on a rock crawler jeep or buggy.

Thanks for all the repleys guys.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
well I finaly got some pictures of front half boxing and tacked on fatman!!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Very cool!

Sam

Quick Reply: Building my 53