Sponsored by:

2000 Ex Spring Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 02:53 AM
loleuiha
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Ex Spring Conversion

Just completed the Sprind Mod from OEM Ex to F-350 super duty springs both rear leafs and front coils on my 2 wheel drive. Gotta tell you it got rid of my wandering and feels so much better just like it was new. Got a 3" lift in the rear and a 2" lift in the front. Sorry I still can't seem to upload pics on this site. I have a macbook pro and I can never upload. But I wanna give thanks to user tdlpps and Stewart_H its is because of their help that I was able to complete this mod on my Titanic.... Very Greatfull......

Thank You,
Laki

Old 04-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Vinny Mastrodomenico
Junior User
Congrats - I am glad you got this project completed. That is awesome you got a 3" lift up front.
On the original Thread the Definitive 2wd Upgrade, the OP, only got a 3/4" lift up front. I wonder if maybe there are different 2wd front coil springs. Can you tell me what the spring code was on the front coil springs. Also hurry up and post pictures so I can see what the final product looks like

Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by loleuiha
I have a macbook pro and I can never upload.
No pics?? Glad I don't have a macbook pro.

Congrats on the upgrade and better ride/control!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Glad you got'r done, Laki!

Stewart

Old 04-11-2011, 01:02 AM
loleuiha
Senior User
Originally Posted by Vinny Mastrodomenico
Congrats - I am glad you got this project completed. That is awesome you got a 3" lift up front.
On the original Thread the Definitive 2wd Upgrade, the OP, only got a 3/4" lift up front. I wonder if maybe there are different 2wd front coil springs. Can you tell me what the spring code was on the front coil springs. Also hurry up and post pictures so I can see what the final product looks like
Vinny youre right. I just noticed that the front looks the same only a little higher so I think i only got 3/4 to an inch lift in front. Sorry I was just so excited that it looked higher than it is. LOL. But I will take pics as soon as I get my camera back from my sister.

Laki

Old 04-11-2011, 01:03 AM
loleuiha
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
No pics?? Glad I don't have a macbook pro.

Congrats on the upgrade and better ride/control!
Hey Thank you.. But be nice I luv my macbook. Its good to me... Its only this site that wont let me upload to it. I only got one upload through and thats my profile pic or Avatar as this site calls it. LOL...

Laki

Old 04-11-2011, 01:09 AM
loleuiha
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Glad you got'r done, Laki!

Stewart
Man Stewart Thank you. I wouldnt have done it if you didnt help me. And tell me that I can do it. But I did. She feels great. Gotta get Titanic realigned tomorrow though. But all in all. She handles better and feels like she should now. Now I wanna add HORSEPOWER..... lol.... Is that possible???

So all know I put in Springs from an 03 f350 Superduty rear leafs with overload leaf and front coils. I dont know the codes because I got the springs from an auto wrecker. But man do I love how she rides now..... And she looks great....

Laki

Old 04-11-2011, 01:20 AM
David711
Freshman User
I'm jealous! I want to do that to mine!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Karlsgems
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Being the Newbie that I am, could you guys briefly educate me as to this Spring Swap idea?

I can understand the difference between having a sway bar and NOT having one, that is obvious in its effect on ride quality.

But I am a little confused....if the Excursion is built on a Super Duty platform wouldn't it have the SAME springs as an F250 or F350?

Sorry if this is too bush-league due to my inexperience. If you don't want to type it out, please feel free to post a link to posts/articles that I could read for further info.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Karlsgems
But I am a little confused....if the Excursion is built on a Super Duty platform wouldn't it have the SAME springs as an F250 or F350?
Nope, that's why the spring swap mod is so common. Ford screwed the pooch when they did the suspension on the Ex by using different springs.

Common theory is Ford did so because they figured soccer moms would be their main customer base so they tried to make the Ex ride less like a truck and more like a car. Unfortunately that induced steering wander into the equation brought on by rear-end suspension push/axle wrap.

Here's some "light" reading for ya.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/789595-attn-dup-steering-wander-search-results-for-you.html

Stewart

Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Karlsgems
Elder User
Thanks Stewart, you are clearly one of the Titans of this group. I appreciate your knowledge and the fact that you share it. I will dig into that reading.

How could Ford screw that up? How does your attempt to SOFTEN the ride actually make it stiffer? Hmm.

This sounds like a mod I should do SOONER and NOT later!

Sincerely,
Karl.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe one other reason that ford did it this way was so the Excursion would fit through a "Standard Garage Door" height, i did the spring swap on our 2000 and it just fits through the door, i have not installed the f-350 spring blocks yet ether.

Just my opinion!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Karlsgems
Elder User
You know, that sounds quirky enough to just be true! I think that actually makes a lot of sense.

Are you guys seeing a 'lift' efffect when you do the spring mod? That seems to be what I am hearing. I don't want to do that, just for the very reason of fitting into my garage (ok, it's not really my 'thing' eithe--but no offense to those who like to do this).

Ya got any flooding where you are in Minnesota? My relatives are all on the other side of the state (up north in Duluth/Superior area).

Take care,
Karl.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Karlsgems
Are you guys seeing a 'lift' efffect when you do the spring mod?
Absolutely.

Doing the spring mod on a 4x4 Excursion will lift it to about the same height/clearance as a 4x4 F250.

With the common V code/B code mod, you'll typically see a little over 1.5" of lift, possibly even 1.75", depending on how tired your old springs were, what type of engine you have, if you use new springs or used springs, etc.

Stewart