1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT Trailer for hauling F6 Decisions' opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:12 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
OT Trailer for hauling F6 Decisions' opinions

Been looking at upgrading my trailer, Currently I have a 7000lb dual axle car hauler 14' deck trailer that pulls great for small vehicles but since I have a couple bigger project trucks F6, F5 etc I figured it was time to upgrade. plus I want a trailer long enough that I can put my 1945 GPW with a Bantam WWII trailer attached on the trailer to haul places. (jeep and little trailer wouldn't be much over 4000lbs )
Here's the current trailer with an F3 on it.

So I need at least 18' for that, Then I need the weight rating to handle the possible occaisional hauling of the F6 ? or whatever I drag home next!

I found this one which is about 21' long has 3 3500lb axles but approx weight is 3000lbs?+-, this should leave me enough weight rating to put an additional 7500 lbs which should easily work for my F6.
Nice thing about triple axles is less issues with getting balance just right for larger loads, but am somewhat hesitant, and wondering if I should hold out for a 12 or 14K rated trailer?? I dont want to spend much over 2K and this one also fits that bill?? not sure what I'm going to find in that rating within my price range?? this one I think I can get for around 2250.

(more cost in tires and bearings being a triple but ??) hmmm

Opinion's from my trusted FTE family??

I probably should stop typing and just go get it already....

Thanks

Josh

Old 04-07-2011, 01:50 AM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi I personally prefer 5th wheel trailers, I think they pull a lot better than hitch trailers, but may be out of your price range. Also depends on what you have to pull it with, would look pretty funny behind an SUV.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:20 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Metal top, 21 ft. 10,000lb.. sheesh!.. get it..
you could replace the axles with 5k over time. IF you ever need it..

I've had 14 & 16 & 18 ft flatbeds, and really want a 20. sold my 18 to get the 20ft enclosed trailer to haul my green truck. 20 is JUST enough!..

bought a used 20fter year before last.. only to find out it was stolen.
come to find out in Texas there is a number you can call to verify VINs.
nice thing to learn AFTER you lose your money!..

sam

Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 344 Likes on 260 Posts
You can never have enough trailer. What you have posted would work - IF you're willing to pull the outside duals so the truck will position forward far enough to get the weight up over the axles.

After several shortcut attempts and a couple of disasters I gave in and went with this setup. 26' gooseneck tandem dually 22,500 rating. Overkill, but is so much nicer to haul with because the drive is now casual instead of white knuckle all the way.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep in mind that IF you run in states/areas that have toll roads every axle will cost you. When I went to a 3 axle from the 2 axle my costs went up. Just something to consider.

I agree with other, look at getting into a gooseneck or fifth wheel setup. They pull better and stop better. Once you get to a certain weight point, bumper pull arrangements get less stable. Be careful also if you are ever pulling trucks for hire or equipment that isn't in your name. Many states DOT's are cracking down. Any vehicle/trailer/load weighing over 10,000# is subject to USDOT if going interstate and the cargo is not registered to you (i.e. your transporting someone else truck). If the GCVW (gross combined vehicle weight) is over 26,001, then you need a CDL. Keep that in mind when buying a new trailer (unless you already have a CDL).

Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That trailer for that price is a good buy! I bought my 18' 7500# dropped axle trailer brand new in 2004 for $2200. That three axle trail should do the job. Just like mtflat says, you'll need to remove the outside of the rear wheels to fit the truck. I would also pull that trailer with at least a 3/4 ton truck.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Thanks guys, I know that a fifth wheel, Gooseneck would be the ultimate way to go, or even at least a deck over with bigger weight rating. But I know those are getting beyond my price range and I don't really want to remove the bed cover for a fifth wheel.
(nice trailer Tim! )

So ya, I would probably have to remove outer duals to move an F6 on this trailer but also the rear tires just might fit to the rear edge of the fenders on trailer and still be balanced?? if it was just a few miles to trailer accross town?? Uhhh, ok. probably need to pull outer duals and pull forward more???
Hopefully I never need to pull my F6 on it (unless it dies on me somewhere,) Father in law says to just pay 150 for a AAA membership and they will tow you free< he just doesn't understand me I guess

Thanks again for the tips and input, decisions decisions

Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If you can get that trailer for that price it would work fine for you. I haul my F5 on an 18' beavertail with 2 3500# axles and it works fine. With the bed finally on the truck, it is gonna hang over the back by about a foot and half I think. I have to load it up this afternoon to head for a show in the morning so I will get a picture and post it here later.
You know most people really don't understand the weight ratings and how they actually apply. Like my trailer, with axle rating of 7000# many folks think that that is the gross rating for the trailer, ie. trailer is 1200# so you can haul 4800# for a total of 7000#. That is an incorrect theory as you can actually haul much more depending on how you load it. People forget that the weight is distributed to the axles AND the towing vehicle. The further back the axles and the further forward the load, more of the weight is shifted to the tow vehicle.

So, in most cases you should be able to safely haul about a 7500# vehicle on a trailer with 7000# axle rating. Especially with an unloaded truck like an F5 or F6 as the majority of the weight is in the front. That is where the Tow vehicle matters more than the trailer.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I couldn't fit a 52 F6 with an 18 foot flatbed on top of it onto my 18' 7500# trailer. The truck was too long and too heavy. My trailer was dragging in the rear, but it's also a dropped axle trailer. I had to pay $600 to tow it from Fresno, CA to my house.

Josh, get the 3x axle trailer. It should work out for you just fine if you plan an occasional tow for your F6. Joe is right about loading. If you load the trailer right, you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
I hope it's mine< just talked to the guy and he's holding it for me until morning, (just can't get away from work today) and its a bit of a drive to get it. so crossing my fingers that he's good on his word...

Old 04-07-2011, 05:15 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Sorry about getting this up so late. When I pulled the trailer out of the weeds this morning, I found a flat tire. It was a simple bead leak, but I could not get it to seal. After checking the tires over real good, I decided that the tires on the rear axle should be replaced. After several phone calls, no luck on a couple of decent used tires and the best price on new ones is a shop that I usually buy from that is about 35 miles from here. Long story short (actually it's still long) $140 later, tires replaced, trailer ready to go, F5 pulled out and washed and finally loaded about 4pm. Here is what it looks like on my 18' trailer (with the new 12' bed on the truck.

Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2011, 06:12 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Thanks for posting that picture, Looks great! Still love that paint color

How wide is your trailer between fenders? I am kind of hoping I can load my F6 similar to how you got yours on there with the rear tires just up close to the fender and still have enough tongue weight and good balance so I don't have to remove outer duals???
I don't think you have too much overhang off the trailer either, looks good to me.
Thats the biggest trailer Queen I think I've seen!!! and I mean that in the nicest way... good work, that wood stakebed is looking killer.
Cheers

Josh

Originally Posted by harleymsn
Sorry about getting this up so late. When I pulled the trailer out of the weeds this morning, I found a flat tire. It was a simple bead leak, but I could not get it to seal. After checking the tires over real good, I decided that the tires on the rear axle should be replaced. After several phone calls, no luck on a couple of decent used tires and the best price on new ones is a shop that I usually buy from that is about 35 miles from here. Long story short (actually it's still long) $140 later, tires replaced, trailer ready to go, F5 pulled out and washed and finally loaded about 4pm. Here is what it looks like on my 18' trailer (with the new 12' bed on the truck.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Josh,
It's 82 1/4" between the fenders. With the 8R19.5's it narrowed the wheels a bit to about 85", so they would almost go through. However, if you look close, my front wheels are at the front of the trailer, so the rears won't go that far. I have hauled it quite a bit without the bed, tomorrow will be the first trip with the bed. I still have to get it to the CO OP to see what it weighs now with the bed. Before it was about 4200# ( I had posted it here somewhere and don't have it written down) and the entire bed and frame is all oak, so it's pretty heavy, my back can verify that!

BTW here is the first pic of the finished bed floor that I took just before loading it. I have to start work on the sides after this show. All the lumber is in the barn and dry, but it needs to be planed, cut, routered, stained and Varnished. (Oh, the Ford Script is Walnut)

Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harleymsn, love that bed. Do you have any more information on how you constructed it. would like to see some pictures of the underside.

Paul

Old 04-07-2011, 07:50 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Absolutley Beautiful! How much for a complete 12' bed kit, ready to be assembled? EDIT nah, I don't want a kit, just send me the prototype one once you've completed it

Those 8R 19.5's look right at home on there too.

My new trailer (I hope) has about 83.5" width between fenders if I remember what he told me correctly?? my 8.25x20's measure right at about 88" +-

cheers

Josh

Quick Reply: OT Trailer for hauling F6 Decisions' opinions