Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 PM
86gene
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Problem?

I have a 03 EX w/a7.3 on sat comeing back from the shore it started loseing power injectors got real noisey and progressivly got worse.When I got off the highway and slowed down was able to nurse home .1st thing I changed fuel filter was pretty bad then oil. The next day I drove it and got on it and with in 1 1/2 miles it started dieing again pulled over it stalled out and before it stalled you could hear the injectors were real noisey let it sit a min it started right back up.I duplicated the problem on the way back to my house and when it stalled I killed the key to kill the fuel pump and opened the petcock on the filter bowl and only a small amount of fuel came out a 2year old could prob pee more that came out then about 40 sec later more came out. Got it back to my house and opened the petcock again while running and after a few sec the truck shut off.The pump under the truck is 6 months old and I replaced the ipr back then cause it thru a ipr code. A stealership mech did the work on the side and supp. put a new pickup in said it was clogged now I wondering if he just cleaned the pickup out and put the old one back in the only code I got tonight was a p1247 hopeing it's from fuel prob. If I take it easy and drive the speed limit on local rds.30/35 It drives okay any idea's I'm leaning to the pick up being the problem since it dont matter if it's hot or cold. and no other codes . And if you let it sit a couple mins it starts right back up and the injectors quiet right back down .????????? still learning was always a gasser thanks for any input.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:53 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Disconnect the fuel line from the infeed of your pump. Does fuel come out of the line as a slow dribble or does it flow? A slow dribble is a clog in the fuel tank (the screens). The Hutch mod will correct this problem.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:30 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't find it, but there was a thread about fuel line leaking under a clamp in the vee on passenger side. Hard to find leak.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 PM
86gene
Freshman User
fuel problem ?

I just pulled the fuel line off and didn't even get a dribble all I got was 2 drips!!! Just called and ordered a mod kit this should be the problem.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:09 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Gene, noisy injectors like that sure sounds like a starving for fuel issue, if I'm correct, somebody will correct if I'm wrong. I'm on vacation next week if you want to GTG and figure this thing out, let me know, been meaning to call you..

Old 04-14-2011, 10:38 PM
86gene
Freshman User
fuel problem

Just installed the hutch mod thru strickly diesel nice kit !!! worth every penny and truck runs like a rape ape! What a ****ty design ford has on that pick up assembly. Glad that was my problem the filters were all clogged up. And I called that stealership mech that said he put in a new pickup in about 10 months ago and never did and called him on it he new he was caught. Gave me every penny and a few back that he bang me on it .And this was a friend of a friend .makes you wonder what these guy's do at work now I know why we call it a stealership!!!!!! Now as far as filter changes do you change the pre filter at every oil change and do the top every other ? Any recomendations? or can you strech the changes longer? Thanks for all the HELP guy's

Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Nice going Gene and what a piece that friend of a friend was, glad you got reinbursed, don't happen like that too often. I change my fuel bowl filters after about 25,000, only because I get my fuel only from two stations now and the fuel is really clean. The recommended intervals for the bowl are 15,000 so use your best judgement. As for the prepump kit, whats the directions say from Dennis, Strickly D??

Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 PM
86gene
Freshman User
I'll have to read over them again didn't notice the first time I read . That guy kinda didn't have too much of a choice when he called me monday morning I told him I would be waiting for him at his house when he got home from work !

Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 86gene
I'll have to read over them again didn't notice the first time I read . That guy kinda didn't have too much of a choice when he called me monday morning I told him I would be waiting for him at his house when he got home from work !
Thats funny right there.. Gene, how hard was it to drop your tank??? Been meaning to do this since last year but I'm wary to do it by myself...

Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 PM
86gene
Freshman User
Yo! It's a shame for us that our mechanics at work never want to do any side work. At least I'm learning more about these Diesels.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:24 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
I thought of that too but after Matt H. said he had the old crew work on his vehicle 2 years ago stuff was missing out of it, nothing of super value just the point of it, I said forget it, my truck isn't being seen.. Pop in more here, you'll be doing more than Hutch and Harpoon mods, trust me.