1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550
Old 11-18-2014, 11:46 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

E350 prewired for trailer brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 02:32 PM
2johnsmith
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
There is a relay for that in the battery junction box that yours may not have. Make sure "C" is populated with the correct relay.

I went thru both fuse boxes on my van (2012) and I made sure all fuses that were trailer related were inserted. I checked the box under the hood on drivers side and box in cab behind the e brake. Is there anything I need to connect in the cab? I also have the part numbers for the harnesses if anyone is interested. They were a pain to figure out!

Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 PM
2johnsmith
New User
Originally Posted by 2johnsmith
I went thru both fuse boxes on my van (2012) and I made sure all fuses that were trailer related were inserted. I checked the box under the hood on drivers side and box in cab behind the e brake. Is there anything I need to connect in the cab? I also have the part numbers for the harnesses if anyone is interested. They were a pain to figure out!
do you also have the relay part numbers. I think the relays I have are for light Duty tow. Is there a difference?

Old 08-20-2017, 01:25 AM
Jsweezy
New User
I just wanted to let you guys know I wanted the stock trailer brake for the cleaner look like the OP mentioned and I finally found Expo Vans that could make it happen.

Went from a 2010 E150 with the tow package using a tekonsha to now having the stock Trailer brake controller in the dash.

Just hit up MG at Expovans.com

Old 01-24-2018, 12:55 AM
cwd7824
New User
IM TRYING TO DO THE SAME THING YOU DID MY VAN IS SETUP THE SAME AS YOURS CAME FACTORY WITH 4WAY NOT THE 7 WAY. TRYING TO HAVE ALL THE FACTORY WIRING INSTEAD OF AFTERMARKET AND RUNNING EXTRA WIRES. DO YOU KNOW THE PART NUMBER THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO PURCHASE TO CONVERT THIS. THE DEALERSHIP IS TELLING ME I HAVE TO GO AFTERMARKET DUE TO IT NOT BEING WIRED AT THE FACTORY. THANKS

Old 01-24-2018, 12:58 AM
cwd7824
New User
IM TRYING TO DO THE SAME THING YOU DID MY VAN IS SETUP THE SAME AS YOURS CAME FACTORY WITH 4WAY NOT THE 7 WAY. TRYING TO HAVE ALL THE FACTORY WIRING INSTEAD OF AFTERMARKET AND RUNNING EXTRA WIRES. DO YOU KNOW THE PART NUMBER THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO PURCHASE TO CONVERT THIS. THE DEALERSHIP IS TELLING ME I HAVE TO GO AFTERMARKET DUE TO IT NOT BEING WIRED AT THE FACTORY. THANKS

My van did not come with the Heavy Duty (7 pin) tow package but I have almost converted it. I purchased the harness from the axle to bumper and replaced the harness from bolt together junction box by the drivers side exhaust manifold. I now have the brakes, turn, running lights but the reverse on the 7 pin does not get power! What else needs to be hooked up?

Old 01-24-2018, 01:00 AM
cwd7824
New User
Smile

IM DEFINETLY INTERESTED IN THE PART NUMBERS THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC

Old 01-22-2019, 11:15 AM
simplebuck
Freshman User
hello to all ...

I hoping to find out what I need to do, to have a brake controller in my van.
This old thread is the closest I could find to the difficulty I'm having.

It's a 2004 E150 XLT, 5.4, standard wheelbase, has factory-installed 7-pin trailer connector, and a factory-installed class 3 hitch.

I'm wondering .. is there already some kind of integrated controller in the van ?
If not, is there some kind of connector under the dash to connect an aftermarket controller to ?
Does any additional wiring need to be added ?

thanks,
Ed

Old 01-22-2019, 02:23 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by simplebuck
hello to all ...

I hoping to find out what I need to do, to have a brake controller in my van.
This old thread is the closest I could find to the difficulty I'm having.

It's a 2004 E150 XLT, 5.4, standard wheelbase, has factory-installed 7-pin trailer connector, and a factory-installed class 3 hitch.

I'm wondering .. is there already some kind of integrated controller in the van ?
If not, is there some kind of connector under the dash to connect an aftermarket controller to ?
Does any additional wiring need to be added ?

thanks,
Ed
Someone didn't read the whole thread...

The synapsis:
The TBC connector is in the driver side kick panel unless your vehicle has been modified.
Look up the fuse diagram for your year model and make sure the proper fuses and relays are installed.
What part is tripping you up, finding the connector or getting the circuit to work?

Old 01-22-2019, 03:11 PM
simplebuck
Freshman User
thx for replying, Sam ...

I read it fairly thoroughly, but didn't see any examples of a van with the class 3 hitch and 7-pin connector factory-installed, or whether or not there's any sort of "integrated controller" already installed.

Before I get into the physical installation, I'd like to find out if my van is ready to just plug the controller into an existing connector, or if further work needs to be done or parts installed, to make it work.

The van hasn't been modified, as far as I know, around the left side kick panel area, and the hitch / connector all appears intact and stock.
I do have the fuse diagram.

I'm fairly literate electrically, mainly would like to find out if Ford installed a ready-to-use plug in connector, when they installed the factory hitch and 7-pin connector.

I have towed small trailers with the van, and the 7-pin connector is live, and operates the trailer lights ok.

Ed

Old 01-22-2019, 04:51 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
If you don't see it on the dash, it doesn't have a TBC.
It should be pre-wired for the TBC connector.
Mount your new Tekonsha TBC bracket onto the dash, connect it to the TBC connector that is in the drivers kick panel E brake pedal area and send it.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
OK, my bad. I thought this was a different thread that has pictures and wiring info specific to the 08 and earlier E vans.
As far as I know, all the 08 and earlier vans have a TBC plug in the kick panel. But unless it was originally specified to include the heavy towing package it may or may not have the wiring for the TBC all the way to the back. Yours (Ed) certainly should if it was originally equipped with the 7 blade Bargman type trailer connector.

You will need to pop off the kick panel trim around the E brake pedal to find the TBC connector. It may be taped to another harness or jammed up out of sight. This picture is from a 2001 van, your 2004 should be similar or identical. As you can see, the wiring colors do not exactly match the aftermarket TBC harness colors of red, white, blue, black. The brown wire on the truck side is for instrument lamp illumination to light up your TBC if it is equipped to do so.

If your right foot were looking toward the emergency brake pedal with the kick panel trim cover removed, the trailer brake controller connector is at the bottom center in this pic.

Truck side of the TBC connector. E brake cable is shown at left, kick panel trim piece is removed.

The other side of this connector, the TBC side, is usually available in stock at most big name auto parts stores. A new aftermarket TBC will not necessarily have this pigtail included since different vehicle brands use different style connectors. Be sure you verify the pinout before connecting.

For anyone else that finds this thread, if your van does NOT have the wiring all the way to the back, it will terminate either at the large connector UNDER the vehicle below the driver, or if it is wired through that connector, it will have an unused connector or two on the left frame rail near the spare tire mounting area. There will be a white ground wire coming out of that harness that terminates to a screw on the frame.
In 09 the E van harness was changed to more closely resemble the F trucks, and the TBC connector was moved to the right of the steering column behind the dash panel coin holder.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:33 AM
simplebuck
Freshman User
Sam, thanks for the pics and info.
You've gone out of your way to be helpful
If I can't find the connector after all that, I may need new glasses

So far I haven't seen anything on the dash instrument panel that looks like Integrated Brake Controller indicators.
But .. I can't say for sure what has never lit up or shown itself on the instrument panel.
I've never had a trailer with brakes attached to the 7-pin connector on my van.

If there is an Integrated Brake Controller installed, does it respond in some way on the instrument panel, when a trailer with brakes is connected up ?
Since the van has the XLT trim package with tach and other goodies, I'm wondering if the IBC is part of that.

What I'm learning from our chat, is .. if there is an IBC installed, it will respond on the instrument panel when a trailer with brakes is connected.
And .. if an IBC isn't installed ... an aftermarket controller easily attaches to the connector the pics show.
And .. maybe there is a Ford controller that can be used (altho I'd think a Ford one is expensive).

I've seen others speak well about Tekonsha controllers .. looks like I may need to get one.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:09 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sounds like you are chasing your tail on this.
If it had an original equipment Ford installed TBC, you would see the manual activation slider with + & - adjustment buttons. I am pretty sure that wasn't even an option on a 2004 E150, but if it had one you would see it.

If you don't see it on the dash, it doesn't have a brake controller installed.
The TBC is not a function of the instrument panel, it is a separate piece of hardware mounted onto the dash.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:09 AM
simplebuck
Freshman User
Sam wrote ... " If you don't see it on the dash, it doesn't have a brake controller installed.
The TBC is not a function of the instrument panel, it is a separate piece of hardware mounted onto the dash. "

Thanks Sam .. that is helpful.

Old 11-05-2020, 04:04 PM
Justin Sims
Do you have anymore info on the oem brake controller install? Im wanting to do the same as you did.

Thanks. Justin Sims
sims26@gmail.com

Quick Reply: E350 prewired for trailer brake controller?