1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Redneck Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:50 AM
shortwide
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Broomfieldbum
Wills, Can I get credit for driving a 3 on the tree, while talking on my iphone, and dealing with a screaming 18 month old while turning?
That's a Graduate Level course.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
My first 66 I had when I was in High School and then the Marines, had the clutch return spring bailing wired to the motor mount perch,,, it broke in the field as I was buckin hay,,, that piece of wire lasted for quite a few years,, and when it finally broke again,,,, YUP,, bailing wired it again!! Still was on there when she went to the great truck showroom in the sky!!
Hey Pickupmanx2 you sure that truck you had was not a 65 4x4. I found somewhat the same setup with wire and bailing wire holding the return spring and clutch adjustment rod in place as I was tearing it down for engine removal. Any chance the big showroom was in St Maries Id.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:27 PM
SandmanAz
Freshman User
Nice!

I didn't do this on my truck but when I was 16 my first car was a 86 Mazda. It had major tears in the air duct hose that would cause the car to stall. I took some small coffee cans and some duct tape and made a new hose. ran good til I junked it. I can't even begin to list everything that I rigged on that car, but that was my favorite.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:31 PM
TexasTornado66
Junior User
Originally Posted by oz 66
You my man are an absolute legend.
Thank you sir, here is a pic of my home depot creation.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 PM
TexasTornado66
Junior User
Old 04-05-2011, 02:00 PM
shortwide
Elder User
TexasTornado.....that is AWESOME!

You get the prize for Most Effective Automotive Use of Landscaping Materials.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
The best part is, you always have spare fan belt material with you with that fan shroud!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:06 PM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by turbohunter
If you're a real redneck you'd have a beer and a cigarette on your drive home.
FYI the stock 1966 gas cap makes an effective bottle opener
but the 1st swig kinda tastes gasoline-y!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by thechief66
FYI the stock 1966 gas cap makes an effective bottle opener
but the 1st swig kinda tastes gasoline-y!
Can't think of anything better 'cept maybe nitro

Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 AM
oz 66
Junior User
[QUOTE=thechief66;10184475]FYI the stock 1966 gas cap makes an effective bottle opener :

Problem is it's a bloody stretch to refit the gas cap while driving after opening the bottle.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:01 AM
shortwide
Elder User
Originally Posted by oz 66
Problem is it's a bloody stretch to refit the gas cap while driving after opening the bottle.
True...but it is possible.

I had to grin the other day as I pulled away from the gas pump. I wasn't sure that I remembered to put the gas cap back on so I just reached back with my left hand and checked....didn't even have to get out of the truck, or even stop moving for that matter.

It's little stuff like that, thats always made me love driving this old stuff.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzz44
Hey Pickupmanx2 you sure that truck you had was not a 65 4x4. I found somewhat the same setup with wire and bailing wire holding the return spring and clutch adjustment rod in place as I was tearing it down for engine removal. Any chance the big showroom was in St Maries Id.
I'm pretty sure that I didn't have the only old farm truck with that fix!!!
Funny story about that ol girl,,, she was my first he he he,,, but anyways,, my senior year, the 390 she had in her had done had the crap run outta it, and was smokin like a chimney,,, so I knew this old farmer had a 66 sittin in one of his fields,, had a 300 and an NP435 in,,, so I asked him about the engine,,, he said "I thinks the head was re-done a bit ago,,, bout hunert 25 thousan on er probly" said to give him $50 and it was mine,,, so I pulled the whole bell housing and all, 4 bolts and slid her out,, took it home,,, few hours later had it in mine, rigged up a nice straight pipe and was driving it around,,, all was well,,, so fast forward about 7-8 years,, the ol girl had keep me moving through 6 years in the Marines, and we were livin in El Toro,, lookin to buy a new house,,, got one, gettin everything ready to move,, and the wife says,,,, "she ain't going to the new house,,," she was ugly,, every place had dents and bruises and a few addresses scratched in,,, the pass. door was the ONLY straight area on her,, so I took everything I could off of her,, called a junkyard (I know,,, father please forgive me for I have sinned!) and they were payin $400 or so and I agreed,, so the day before they were coming to get her,, I decided to blow the ol 300 up,,, so I started her up,, let her warm up and then pulled the drain plug,,, she probly had about 250k or more on the engine by then,, ran just fine,,, for 10 minutes,,, and was still goin,,, so I drained the rad. another 10 min,, no problem,,, started revvin her up,,, still nothin,, so almost 30 min runnin,, wife comes out says we need to get goin wherever we were going,, so I turned her off,, put the fluids back in and off we went,,, next day, ol boy shows up with a wrecker to haul her off,,, asks if she runs,, I say yep,, put a battery in and she starts right up and purrs,, he says,,, hmm I prolly take that ol six out and put it in my yard truck!!! For all I know,, that dumb ol engine could still be runnin!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
[quote=oz 66;10186702]
Originally Posted by thechief66
FYI the stock 1966 gas cap makes an effective bottle opener :

That why ya carry a knife! Or when I smoked,, a bic lighter,,, ALWAYS makes for a nice "POP" when you catch it just right!! The gas cap is a backup!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:12 PM
surfmurf
New User
Fan Shroud

Now I know what to do with that useless Edging in my yard! Dig it up and use it for my truck. It is clear from the picture that you have absolutely NO problem with grass creeping into YOUR fan. It is a darn clever use of a "foreign" material. I agree with your Use of Landscaping Materials Award - Congrats!
We all should be so clever. Reminds me of my submarine days. Murf

Old 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM
old broke prospector
Elder User
Originally Posted by surfmurf
We all should be so clever. Reminds me of my submarine days. Murf
Murf, Sub top priority repair..... We had to use the haagavap pump to keep the ice cream machine going, when water got low, the pump had to be replaced on it's tank long enough to run the evap. SSBN 599 SSBN 636. AS 11, AS 31.

The best redneck rig up on an old truck I observed was a small 110 ac volt window a/c unit in the back window of a pickup connected to a gas generator. The generator sat on the flat bed with barn tin serving as a cover. Mid Missouri 1982. Just down the road from that was a flatbed truck being used as a front porch for a trailer house parked on the side of a hill. Just goes to show, there will always be a use for the old flat beds.

Quick Reply: Redneck Repairs