1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

'96 Ranger dome light

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 05:36 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by JWP
Tried the WD-40 this am wooks like charm!! that gD bulb gets awful hot pulling it out in the past

A big thanks to FTE and all the supporters

JWP
Thank you for your post JWP, glad it worked out for you!!!

Welcome to FTE!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2003, 04:58 PM
mpleon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Dome light FIXED!!!!!!!

Hey guys... I can't BELIEVE how simple this was! I thought for sure mine was the 'ONE' that would be different... but after almost TWO YEARS of pulling out scorching bulbs and removing fuses and losing almost $200 to try and have it fixed, the WD-40 had it working in less than 10 seconds! AMAZING!!!!!!! I can't tell you how HAPPY I am to be able to SEE inside my truck at night!

Old 01-21-2004, 04:42 AM
Crimedog54
Freshman User
I give up! The WD40 was working for about a year, now it has no effect whatsoever on the door. Time to pull the lights out(since i'm too cheap to buy new sensors).

Old 01-21-2004, 07:37 AM
tdf138
New User
Yep, the WD-40 worked for about a year for me too.

Needs to be reapplied periodically.

Too bad a simple thing like this cant be remedied B4 it comes off the assembley line

Old 01-21-2004, 09:51 AM
billd
New User
Thanks Guys,

I have the same problem in my '97 Ranger...It was driving me crazy ( a short ride mind you!! ) looking around for the switch..

Thanks!!!

Old 01-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Nitrofan
New User
Yes the dealer quoted me $380.00 plus a diagnostic fee to replace the GEM module for the dome light plus this and that. I have lots of issues with my truck 1999 Ranger 4x4 with a non operational 4x4, wipers go off whenever they want to, light stays on all the time. I pretty much have a piece of crap

Old 02-16-2004, 05:46 PM
liquidfire
New User
THANKS!

Im so happy i found this forum, i made a user name just so i could post. I have been having the door ajar light problem for some time. I spend like 2 hours today ripping the door panles off and taking out wires and cleaning them and hoping they work. I read the posts walk out take .5 secs to spray w-d40 and BINGO!!!! IT WORKS!!! THanks sooo much to everyone who posted how to fix the problem it is working fine and im so happy now thanks again!

Last edited by Ken00; 03-05-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:38 AM
shmike88
New User
I have the same dome/doorajar problem many of you have...I have found that backing up and then pulling forward after I stop turns the dome light off? It is not practical when I have to parallel park...I look forward to spraying the latch with some WD and hopefully fixing the problem!!! Has anyone else found that trick? why would it work?

Old 03-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Diabolic
Senior User
I've been applying WD-40 to my latches for about a month now and it hasnt been working. Although i do notice that after it rains, or during it raining, the dome light stays on. I bought some spray lubricant today and applied that, and still no go. I can't really afford new sensors. Does anyone have any cheep ideas?

Old 03-07-2004, 07:57 AM
69mustang
Freshman User
'97 Ranger, I replaced that darn door switch

It was good for a while, then the light started staying on again. It seems to happen when it rains. The WD-40 trick works for a while, but you have to re-apply it every so often. By the way, when I bought the new switch and took it home, it was the wrong one!
When I brought the old one to the dealer, he said that it was a switch from a Mustang! So, I have a Mustang switch in My Ranger!
I guess the only fix is to spray that switch with every oil change as someone else suggested. I waisted my money and time replacing the switch.
Later,
Joe

Old 03-10-2004, 09:11 AM
xamack24
Freshman User
I had read this previously while browsing through this forum. I had noticed that the dome light switch was a bit "sensative". Then, yesterday, I noticed that my dome light was on. I commenced to slam both doors a few times to no avail. Then I remembered reading about this in this forum. WD-40 to the rescue! All is fine. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2004, 11:38 PM
aernst
New User
Lightbulb GEM module

In reference to the GEM module and faulty wipers/dome light, I went to the dealer, and he said that Ford published a bulletin on the GEM module, which I had to have replaced. Maybe they will replace this thing out of warranty.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:04 PM
7622RM
Mountain Pass
WD-40 from the outside didn't fix my sensors either. I removed the door panels and cleaned the sensors on the inside of the door. Problem solved. If spraying WD-40 from the outside doesn't help, don't give up. Pull the panel off and clean the sensors from the inside.

Additionally, I discovered that for my '97 4x4, the “door ajar” light on the dash and the dome light are controlled by the switch and OEM connector on the bottom of the latch mechanism inside the driver’s and passenger’s doors. The switch and OEM connector on the side of the door latch mechanism does not control the “door ajar” light on the dash and the dome light.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:37 AM
g-mann
Junior User
I've got a '98 Ranger and have had similar problems. The "Door Ajar" light stayed on all the time, and the dome light stayed on after the truck was turned off. After driving and reaching about 5mph, the dome would go off. I tried the WD-40 on the door latch, this got the "door Ajar" light to go out, but the dome light is still acting up.Also, the chime never works unless the truck is running and I open the door. The interior light switch isn't pushed all the way up, so I'm at a loss...what to do?

Old 12-03-2004, 12:17 PM
rangercobrar
Freshman User
not a very technical answer but on my 96 i experienced the dome light problem my remedy makes absolutly no sense but it was to simply replace the bulb in the light its worked for the last year an a half

Quick Reply: '96 Ranger dome light