Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearend Whine

Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 AM
93_flareside
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rearend Whine

Please first see

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-the-caps.html

Now, to explain my current dilemma. Everything is back together and seemed to be fine. But, now when I accelerate hard I get a rear end whine.

Could this be caused by the caps being flipped, or possibly not shimmed correctly?

I looked up the symptoms in the Ford service manual, and it said that the drive shaft was put in 90 to 180 degrees off. Would that actually cause a whine?

Thanks in Advance

Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 AM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 93_flareside
Please first see

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-the-caps.html

Now, to explain my current dilemma. Everything is back together and seemed to be fine. But, now when I accelerate hard I get a rear end whine.

Could this be caused by the caps being flipped, or possibly not shimmed correctly?

I looked up the symptoms in the Ford service manual, and it said that the drive shaft was put in 90 to 180 degrees off. Would that actually cause a whine?

Thanks in Advance
Sorry I can't advise you here, but I am just wondering how a drive shaft can be off by any degree at all. It's pretty straight forward in removing a drive shaft. There may be alignment marks for the spindle gears but that's about it. Or is it a balancing issue?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:17 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,155 Likes on 913 Posts
Some people swear that you have to put the driveshaft back in the same position as it was removed. If not, you can get a vibration problem. Personally I do not subscribe to that theory. I have never had an issue R&Ring a driveshaft then getting vibration issues. But then again I do mark the positioning before removing......

I do not see the reasoning why driveshaft positioning creating a whining problem. Which bearings did you replace? What did the wear pattern look like when you reassembled it? What backlash did you use?

Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 AM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rla2005
Some people swear that you have to put the driveshaft back in the same position as it was removed. If not, you can get a vibration problem. Personally I do not subscribe to that theory. I have never had an issue R&Ring a driveshaft then getting vibration issues. But then again I do mark the positioning before removing......

I do not see the reasoning why driveshaft positioning creating a whining problem. Which bearings did you replace? What did the wear pattern look like when you reassembled it? What backlash did you use?
That's what I thought too. I admit I have only had to remove a drive shaft twice- both times to replace U joints so in both cases I didn't have to remove the yoke from the differential, but I did from the transmissions. Didn't mark anything, didn't pay any attention to it at all [I can't remember for certain if the spindles had alignment grooves or not- I don't think they did], just removed, installed new u joints, and reinstalled the driveshaft. No issues in either case.

Search this Thread