400 parts list.. whatcha think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
400 parts list.. whatcha think?

Well guys I'm building this motor as a "better than stock but still "cheap" motor"
I will be towing a little with it and just showing off with the truck *maybe* a mud hole once...if that...

I talked with the tech department at comp cams and I've decided on this: http://m.summitracing.com/search?keyword=k32-221-3

And someone (I forget the user name sorry!) Mentioned these guys to me over in the 73-79 sub-forum: http://www.tmeyerinc.com/400ford.html
I'm going to use their flat top pistons used with stock heads to get my compression up.

I'm useing the stock heads (for now)

Annnd now where I really need some help, what intake and carb would match up good with my current plans?

I'm looking for good low end, really I'd be happy with a 2bbl (not looking for speed, just low end torque, and power to get it moving)

Thanks guys, and gals!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 PM
crsmiffy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're on the right track all over. All from here is keeping in mind the low end you're after. There is such a thing as a holley 500 2bbl and the factory carb probably is a approx 425 2 bbl but you would need an adapter if you got an aftermarket manifold as they are usually 4 bbl. If you go 4bbl, don't go over 600. Edelbrock performer dual plane (or my preference 351c RPM air gap with adapters, one day!). After market heads later on or a nice set of closed chamber 302C heads (2V). I'm biased as 302 heads are relatively plentiful here in oz, but from other reports they're a similiar price to cheaper aftermarket items there in the US. I have the Comp cams 265 DEH in my 400 and that seems to be a very popular cam in the 400's, and Tim Meyer will be your best friend in the rebuild by far. I cannot speak highly enough of his knowledge and service. Good luck

Old 03-30-2011, 12:26 AM
smokeyb97
Senior User
Originally Posted by danger-ranger93
Well guys I'm building this motor as a "better than stock but still "cheap" motor"
I will be towing a little with it and just showing off with the truck *maybe* a mud hole once...if that...

I talked with the tech department at comp cams and I've decided on this: Search Results for k32-221-3 - Summit Racing Equipment

And someone (I forget the user name sorry!) Mentioned these guys to me over in the 73-79 sub-forum: TMeyer, Inc. Precision Automotive Machining
I'm going to use their flat top pistons used with stock heads to get my compression up.

I'm useing the stock heads (for now)

Annnd now where I really need some help, what intake and carb would match up good with my current plans?

I'm looking for good low end, really I'd be happy with a 2bbl (not looking for speed, just low end torque, and power to get it moving)

Thanks guys, and gals!
I'm using Tmeyer 9.3:1 pistons (0.030) with the Comp Cam 255DEH, Edelbrock intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, stock heads and 1 5/8" long tube headers. This engine is putting out 478 ft/lbs @ 2900rpm. I don't know for sure, but the 32-231-3 will probably produce more HP than the 255DEH, but less torque.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:08 AM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would add roller rockers. They are worth about 10-15 hp in friction reduction alone.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:36 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
upgrade ignition!

eventually down the road upgrade ignition to a multistrike ignition. MSD or accell type upgrade. Really helps things out on the low end torque. Also like mentioned the air gap intake and adapter plates really help things out. Also their is www.mpgheads.com has a crank scraper/windage tray to help keep oil off crank about 90bucks. check in with scott at mpg and he'll get you squared away. Been running these products for over 10 yrs and no regrets. Just another ford guy you need to know about. I use Tim meyer also but Mpgheads is closer to me and good high elevetion guys for my application. If you can look into tim meyer cam bearings and rerouting of oil system upgrade. currently doing my 400 as we speak and will be hopefully getting my short block together next week and then finish up top end. 400 ford with cobrajet heads and edlebrock air gap intake spacer plates. roller cam also with all the goodies!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by smokeyb97
I'm using Tmeyer 9.3:1 pistons (0.030) with the Comp Cam 255DEH, Edelbrock intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, stock heads and 1 5/8" long tube headers. This engine is putting out 478 ft/lbs @ 2900rpm. I don't know for sure, but the 32-231-3 will probably produce more HP than the 255DEH, but less torque.
Smokey: I think you are correct on the horsepower.. Like I said, I just want some ***** down low to pull or maybe spin the tires once or twice and just get the truck moving, I don't want/need a ton of HP under my foot... I'm young (dumb) lol
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust
I would add roller rockers. They are worth about 10-15 hp in friction reduction alone.
I have thought about this but I'm not quite sure if I want to the first time around... I probably will, hell when I started building this truck I was going to put a 300 in it! Now look what I'm doing!! Lol
Originally Posted by wyoming4x4
eventually down the road upgrade ignition to a multistrike ignition. MSD or accell type upgrade. Really helps things out on the low end torque. Also like mentioned the air gap intake and adapter plates really help things out. Also their is www.mpgheads.com has a crank scraper/windage tray to help keep oil off crank about 90bucks. check in with scott at mpg and he'll get you squared away. Been running these products for over 10 yrs and no regrets. Just another ford guy you need to know about. I use Tim meyer also but Mpgheads is closer to me and good high elevetion guys for my application. If you can look into tim meyer cam bearings and rerouting of oil system upgrade. currently doing my 400 as we speak and will be hopefully getting my short block together next week and then finish up top end. 400 ford with cobrajet heads and edlebrock air gap intake spacer plates. roller cam also with all the goodies!
I'm planing on a msd setup, I just want to get the engine finished mechancly and get it in the frame to see if I want a lift on it or not, then when I actually start throwing the body on and all my stuff to get it to start I'll get the MSD stuff. Or I may just run it with my stock box for now just to save some $$ (have to remember I'm doing a budget build here, the motor and drive line are all that is getting new and expensive parts)
I tried that link you posted but it only comes up to a home page, I see no products of theirs.

Thanks for the info guys!!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Are the heads on a 351M and the 400 the same?

For me to get it together and stay within my budget, can I got with the stock intake and stock carb for now, and just do the cam and pistons, and still see the gains? I know getting air in and out quickly is the best thing to make power but I can always pull the intake and carb with the motor in the truck and get that done easily but the cam and pistons is really what I want to get done before I put it in the truck.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 PM
crsmiffy
Elder User
you are on the right track. I believe the heads on the 351m and it's big bro 400 are the same, but it may depend on year and model. what I mean is that yes they are all interchangeable between the 335 series (ie 351C 302C and the 351m-400), but depending on year they may be different cc rating in the combustion chamber. they changed them a few times over the years and they vary greatly. The way you are doing it is the way to go. I did heads cam and timing, stuck with original manifold and carb until funds became available, but had to do up the whole bottom end anyway. Even those mods made a big difference.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 PM
maskedman
Senior User
You should look at investing in a good set of long tube headers for your project if you don't already have them.I use a Weiand Action Plus manifold with an Edelbrock 1406 carb.Can get good prices on both if you shop around.Keep us up to date on your project!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:09 AM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Headers is deff on my list.
I was shopping on summit last night, and my bill to them is going to be 498.90.... If it wasn't for the fact that I can get my parts here in 2 days and use ground shipping I'd go somewhere else.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:03 PM
crsmiffy
Elder User
Hey, be different and use the existing cast manifolds upside down and bolt a turbo on it!!!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
HA! Yea... Send me a $10,000 check and I'll do it, and have the truck done, you'll get all the recognition long as I get to keep the truck. Lol my budget would cry if I did a turbo...

Old 04-01-2011, 01:59 AM
crsmiffy
Elder User
Why? Be clever and do a budget build not a full on paxton centrifugal etc type install. Rat a 2nd hand (but good turbo or 2) from a deisel or jappa of the appropriate sizen they shouldnt be that pricey . If you haven't bought any pistons etc yet you can get the right ones to start with so that won't be any dearer. The extractors/ exhausts would be a pain but doable wih a little bit of ******** around. You would need a boost ref carby so that would cost you. Other than that it comes down to room in the engine bay. Might not be too bad

Old 04-01-2011, 02:01 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
www.mpgheads.com

Was checkin in on their site. Looks like they have just been lately upgrading their site. The cam research site is working. Scott cuts his own cam and has a camking cam breakin tool and all was showing. lots of valvetrain parts showing for ford stuff. Cam research is mpgheads also. scott cuts the cams and really like his products.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:53 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by smokeyb97
Did you have to change your valve springs or did you get to keep your stock ones?

I'm thinking of keeping it mostly stock besides the pistons, cam, and timing chain.

Quick Reply: 400 parts list.. whatcha think?