Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Ulitmate IDI puller

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 PM
IDI Diesel
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Ulitmate IDI puller

iv always wanted to build a good 2wd 7.3IDI. Im a fan of the "sleeper" look. Just something for local county fairs and to put some 4x4 guys in their place once in a while. Starteing with a N/A IDI and a F250 chassis where would you guys start? I want to keep it street legal and nonturbo.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You won't be able to put other trucks in their place without a turbo.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:30 PM
IDI Diesel
More Turbo
damn. minus the turbo what would yall do? maybe ill add the turbo later

Old 03-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Low-ish gearing in the rear, and a beefy auto trans.
And I totally agree about the turbo being pretty much required.
Some type of ladder bars/4 link rear suspension to eliminate axle wrap and wheel hop.
Limiter straps for the front, to reduce the downward travel and maximise weight transfer.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:18 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck doesn't have a turbo, and it puts duramax's, powerstroke, hemi's and cummins to shame up here all the time. It's all about the driver in the truck, the truck will only take you so far.
I pull one of the campers up here around all the time, he runs a 3500 cummins turbo diesel, chipped, and leveled with 35's. He goes red.
Turbos are good, but remember they don't get 100% of there power till it spools up, as allowed to a N/A that has it's torque as soon as I hits 1500rpms.
Good gears, grabby tires, and a solid locker.
I regularly have people catch up to me after I blow by them driving up the canyon here when I grab a bite, and ask me what I have under the hood, and they are shocked to find a stock, non-turbo, 20 year old diesel engine.
I will buy a turbo eventually, don't get me wrong, but I can have this girl ripping through the canyon going 90+ mph blowing past people.
0-60? Not something I win often, but as soon as I hit third gear I leave them behind.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:28 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My turbo hits 12psi in one second so its not a long wait to spool up. It does depend on the driver quite a bit though.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
With a beefed up auto trans, you can build boost before letting off the brake/transbrake, so turbo lag would be little/no worry.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM
fast_st
Senior User
Originally Posted by IDI Diesel
iv always wanted to build a good 2wd 7.3IDI. Im a fan of the "sleeper" look. Just something for local county fairs and to put some 4x4 guys in their place once in a while. Starteing with a N/A IDI and a F250 chassis where would you guys start? I want to keep it street legal and nonturbo.
Well, a locker for certain, you're running 2wd so you want to pull some height above axle center line to help lift the trailer up and also get the max weight on your rear wheels.

Add a 3" 4x8 piece of deck plate to your bed, or 3 1 inch pieces for about 4400 pounds of ballast. Keep it under a tonneau for the sleeper look.

Ladder bars and a locker for certain on the rear.

You'll have to simulate a pulling sled and get a strain gauge (hydraulic piston capped with a pressure gauge) Lash your truck to an anchor and experiment with hitch height to find where you can pull the hardest and get the best weight transfer to the rear.

Best bet is lash your truck to an anchor, experiment to find the hardest pull.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
off the line my truck is a beast. especially if i do a launch with boost. I can hang with most newer trucks off the line especially dodges with their slower spool up. If they do performance chips and all the programmers, yeah there is no way to hang but stock its a lot of fun. Just watch the 1000hp dura launch on youtube. I dont care what kind of driver you are, you wont catch that truck with an IDI, not even daves. My buddy and i found ourselves on the highway on wednesday afternoon, he was barely pulling away and i was at near redline third in my C6. So yeah at 55mph and up, a stroke can take me. i can handle that because i could care less about speeding tickets! hahaha. Nah i need another gear, anyone want a trade? i has some goodies! lol

Old 03-28-2011, 02:34 PM
1994F2507.3L
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
how does a 2wd beat a 4x4 in a pulling contest?

Old 03-28-2011, 02:49 PM
IDI Diesel
More Turbo
SnuffthePunkz-
what exactly have you done to your truck that its running so good? My truck has topped out at about87. My truck can haul a big load all day but hit a hill and the auto trans slows me down real fast. Any suggestions? Whats a good locker to run in the Sterling 10.25" rear?

Old 03-28-2011, 02:53 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could run up hills as fast as my c6 could handle when i was NA, now i am only about 1/3 throttle running up the same steep grades. If i had an E4OD, id love to see just how fast i can go around the corners on the steep grades! haha. 55 feels about all i can handle without sliding. now i just need to stop the above and i will get better mileage!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:37 PM
fast_st
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1994F2507.3L
how does a 2wd beat a 4x4 in a pulling contest?
By pulling the sled further?

its about terrain engagement, not just wheels turning.

So, hmm John Deere 8225R 225hp, and pit it against something
high horsepower and 4wd.. Bugatti Veyron, 1000+ horsepower stock okay AWD isn't 4WD but close enough.

Hook them both to a pulling sled and even though they're the same price (after adding the combine and the farm) the JD should merrily outpull the Bugatti by more than a good margin, 1/4 the hp and only 2wd.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
IDI Diesel
More Turbo
you gotta look at the weight here. the JD has double if not triple the weight. And the tractor tires have close to 3" of tread to grip with. Makes me think how my truck would stand up gainst the Bugatti...any ideas?

Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 PM
1994F2507.3L
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

WOW YOUR MISSING THE POINT ENTIRELY AND HAVE SOME F*&CKED UP FACTS.

i know a tractor can outpull a sports car thats just common since.

im saying you can take your truck being 2 wd and i'll take mine being 4 wheel drive give both of us the same engine, same transmission, same tires and say we will hire a pro driver to drive both trucks on the same track with the same sled so all factors that can be the same are the same. outside of yours being 2wd and mine being 4x4

my truck should be able to outpull because i have more working contact points with the ground. if one or both of your rear tires slip you have a good chance of loosing all traction and i have a 50% better chance of maintaining traction with my additional 2 tires being workable. and just as a common observation when i hook up to my loaded trailer on muddy ground if im in 2wd i slip and will spin. once i stop moving i hop out and lock in the front jump back in pop the T-case in and off i go. have done that many a times to include this Saturday

Quick Reply: Ulitmate IDI puller