Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Project "Chuck Norris Cadillac"

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:41 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziggy.
Chris I hope that all makes sense lol, its hard for me to explain. I'll try again if I need to lol
I'm with you so far. Yes I was comparing them to Firestone load helper type bags, so thanks for the explanation.

So you're just using one piece of pipe up front for a tank? That won't cause air to move through the tank to the other side when turning and cause body roll? I would have though it would be better to have one tank per bag.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by firestroker8706
...............My head hurts.

That is some serious work you put into figuring all that out. Very nice.
Lmao, that wasn't that bad, you should see all the math that goes with it.
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
one of the guys in my club made is own three link for the rear and is sitting on big rig style air bags... he says it rides like a cadillac.

Pretty much what mine will be Nolan, except i'm more of a fan of a full 4 link, especially in this application, than I am a 3 link. Although I'm sure its working just fine for him.
Originally Posted by theenforcer
nice use of the gas axe mate. make sure you post pics when completed i cant wait to see it.
Thanks bro will do!
Originally Posted by F350-6
I'm with you so far. Yes I was comparing them to Firestone load helper type bags, so thanks for the explanation.

So you're just using one piece of pipe up front for a tank? That won't cause air to move through the tank to the other side when turning and cause body roll? I would have though it would be better to have one tank per bag.
I may have worded it wrong, but yea there will be one of the pipe ping tanks per bag on the front, just like a remove reservior shock.

I will be using a tank, electric air compressor from extremem outback, and manual air valves. I will only have 2 valves, one for the front and one for the rear.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
cory what are u using for latteral support?
pan hard bar??? watts link??

Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
panhard, using the same joints as the 4 link bars will have

Old 03-26-2011, 12:29 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

are your link gonna be triangulated or parallel ???
if your top bars are triangulated and ur lowers are straight you shouldnt need a pan hard
as a panhard will limit your travel some
hence y i am going with a watts link

Old 03-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
everything is all parallel. The top bars are shorter than the bottom bars to get my antisquat where is needs to be.

Even with a panhard bar, its not going to hinder me all that much. From full bottom to full top, the axle is only going to move side around 1/2'' or so from center to the left or right. Since at the standard ride height the panhard will be exactly parallel to the ground so there will be minimal play side to side.

You know just as well as I do that to each his own, and both triangulated and parallel 4 links are different, they both do the job. This is just what I happened to choose.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:19 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totally agree on wanting the full 4 link, but his works good and he rallys it pretty good also... However his homemade ladder bars are too short so he is making longer ones.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:50 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Ziggy.
everything is all parallel. The top bars are shorter than the bottom bars to get my antisquat where is needs to be.

Even with a panhard bar, its not going to hinder me all that much. From full bottom to full top, the axle is only going to move side around 1/2'' or so from center to the left or right. Since at the standard ride height the panhard will be exactly parallel to the ground so there will be minimal play side to side.

You know just as well as I do that to each his own, and both triangulated and parallel 4 links are different, they both do the job. This is just what I happened to choose.
yeah i know its alot less of an issue because u and not looking at 13" of travel

and yes to each there own

Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Yep, i'm not going to be going through the full 11'' of travel on the bags like you are either I'm pretty much only going to have mine set where I need it and ocasionally lower it to hook/unhook from trailers etc. I just thought that since i'm running as big of tires as I am, and have a built motor. The parallel and a panhard setup will have a little less stress on the joints and bars bc the top bars aren't having to act as a panhard as well.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
The front shocks came in today. Today I got the front and rear axle brackets all done. Tomorrow I'm going to get everything measured up for the shock mounts and panhard bar and get the spring suspension out from under the truck. Sunday I should have most of it made and painted. The joint ends from ballistic will be here monday and I'll make the link bars and panhard bars then and get them painted depending on what time they get here monday.

I'll have some more pics posted up by sunday night hopefully

Old 04-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Clear view under the truck lol

I torched off my old trac bar brackets, cleaned the axle with a wire brush on a grinder, primered and painted the axle.

Brackets partly bolted up with bag

Here is the top mount and shock mount with the Bilstein 5150 shocks i'm using. 2 in the rear and 4 in the front.

Here is the rear panhard bar bracket, it goes from one side of the frame to the other on the inside, I still have to drill my holes in for the joint end. 2'' schedule 80

I would have gotten alot further today, but I was tied up for quite awhile, I had to go help dad move a bunch of cabinets. But I'll work in the rain tomorrow and have it done it a couple of days, the front wont take much time, should be able to do it in one full day.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

moving cabinets and chatting on the fone for an hour about max bag travel being limited by the shocks

Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rat49f6
moving cabinets and chatting on the fone for an hour about max bag travel being limited by the shocks
That was going to be my question. Wouldn't limiting straps be a better idea? How strong is the shock or shock bolt compared to the weight of the truck or axles?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rat49f6
Yea, forgot about that, I ended up putting them at limiting at 12.5'' of bag height
Originally Posted by F350-6
That was going to be my question. Wouldn't limiting straps be a better idea? How strong is the shock or shock bolt compared to the weight of the truck or axles?
The shocks are pretty dang strong, and thats how every system like this I have seen is designed. In the front I will have 4 shocks so I'm not really worried about it. I will be using 5/8'' bolts through the eye of the shocks, and the top bracket has (2) 1/2'' bolts holding it on, the bottom is welded.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Plus you are only considering the unsprung weight they it will have to hold up. Meaning, wheels, tires, axle and bottom brackets. Granted it will not be maxed out very often at all.

Quick Reply: Project "Chuck Norris Cadillac"