Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Coolant help, hard to get in the U.K, getting stuck with this problem !

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Ultimatequinoxe
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant help, hard to get in the U.K, getting stuck with this problem !

The closest I can find so far is from a John Deer tractor supplier here in my useless town in the U.K.

ftp://morrislube.no-ip.biz/XF%20Fend...%20G48.doc.pdf

Is it safe ?

And they have only one additive which was DCA4, would that be safe and mixable with the above ?

A loaded question I know, but I am researching as fast as I can as I need to get the tap water out the system ( thanks to the guy I bought the truck off ) and the only place that can supply anything close is this tractor dealer and the stuff mentioned above.

Any help is really appreciated !

Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Ultimatequinoxe
Junior User
Oh and ( I forgot ) any rough ball park figure on how much I need, I don't know how big the coolant system is yet ( workshop manuals not coming until tomorrow ). Thanks again !

Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ur-trucks.html This may be useful.
Your link doesn`t work for me however if you get the JD ready mixed coolant you should be OK.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:40 PM
38Chevy454
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The coolant additive is used with low silicate formula antifreeze. Or just buy the stuff from a heavy truck or agriculture supplier. I do not have knowledge of any specific brands of coolant for automobiles that is low silicate formula.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:36 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contact Cummins in UK

Worldwide Retail Locator

I will email you coolant info.....

Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Or go to any new holland dealer, (I'm sure theres one over there) Get their spec coolant and if it doesn't have the additive they have it on bottles on the shelf.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Ultimatequinoxe
Junior User
Thanks for the help ! And I got the email thanks, all really helpful stuff.

I can see how it can be confusing for new owners of Ford trucks, people expect to read things like ' easy, get this green coolant with that additive, or that yellow coolant and you don't need an additive' or something like that ( Thats totally not accurate, just an example ). But when it gets to semi-technical terms my brain starts to freeze, and then trying to obtain the U.K equivalent gets really confusing - things like Rotella and Fleetcharge etc are no where to be found here.

I've emailed the above companies and await a reply. I think my biggest confusion is can I just get any reasonable green coolant ? and then with that will I need a DCA-4 additive as well ?

OR if I get extra long life coolant, does that need the additive ( and can I check by looking for DCA-4 on the details on the label ? ) ?

I'm terrible, its such a simple thing yet I clearly can't get my head round it yet

Thanks again everyone !

Old 07-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Ultimatequinoxe
Junior User
What about Evans NPG+ ?

Rust proofing, prevention products for automotive: Marine:Industrial:Waxoyl

I have a dealer right on my doorstep ironically.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
John Deere Parts: Coolants This is the sort of thing you need. This is the JD one but any of the tractor dealerships should have similar (Massey Ferguson, Fendt, Case New Holland). You should also be able to get coolant or just the anti-cavitation additive from any of the big truck dealerships.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Ultimatequinoxe
Junior User
Thanks for the info ! It was Fendt coolant I was offered in the tractor supplies place yesterday. The guy said it was green, its in a 25 litre drum, and he has a bottle of DCA4 ( 1 litre I think ) and all that together is over £100 ! I'm away at the weekend ( not with the Truck ), so it gives me time to think and research the coolant and I can get it sorted next week.

Would I be right in thinking that DCA4 is basically anti cavitation additive ?

Thanks again, this forum has been such a massive help, thanks to you all as its contributors !

Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say this: I think your the first guy from the UK with an IDI XD! How much is diesel over there? And your link is broken so i cant access what your accessing, most all JD ready-made stuff can be used. The size of the cooling system is 4 gallons and 1 quart.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
DCA-4 additive is anti cavitation additive.
Now to confuse you more. . . . . . .
THe additive does need to be replenished, the level of additvie with test strips at every other oil change or so. These strips would most likely be found where you get the coolant. But you don't need the strips right away

Old 07-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Ultimatequinoxe
Junior User
Thanks again !

I see the odd powerstroke come up on eBay and the like, but not come across many IDI's, but I think there are a very small number of them over here, but most have ended up in poor state and get stripped for parts it seems.

Thats good to know with the coolant, I guess basically I get decent green stuff ( thats safe and correct ) and a bottle of DCA-4 ( I assume one bottle would do thats a litre/quart in size ? ) and pour that in as well with distilled water. Is that anywhere near right ?

Test strips are no problem, I can do that DCA-4 no problem either, its just the green stuff I've been getting stuck on, but now I'm more clued up I should be able to make progress now, thanks again !

Oh and the link is to an online pdf document, so I can't copy and paste the text and the link fails to work ( obviously ) so I'd forget about it. Basically its extra long life green coolant, but it says it has no silicate at all ? I was reading that you need some for the IDI I thought.

And the cost of diesel in the U.K is about £1.40 a litre, which is roughly $2, and 3.7 U.K litres makes 1 US gallon roughly. So expensive basically, but my Saab ( thats now being sold ) that I was using before the truck was only returning 27mpg on high octane petrol ( or regular gas if you prefer ).

Last edited by Ultimatequinoxe; 07-17-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: missed 2 things out
Old 07-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Ultimatequinoxe
Junior User
How about this, its green EG and has a 5 year life span, and its concentrated ?

COMMA XSTREAM GREEN ANTIFREEZE EXTRALIFE G40 5 LITRE | eBay

Old 07-18-2011, 01:13 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
If you get a green coolant, get one that specifically says "low silicate." If you add DCA4 to regular green coolant, there is a chemical reaction and it will fowl up your cooling system; so I have read. I also don't pay any attention to how long a coolant is supposed to last. It doesn't breakdown from time, it breaks down from usage. The system takes 8 total gallons of coolant, that means 4+4+DCA4 and you are good to go. Replace all the hoses, thermostat, petcock and flush the heater core while you have it drained.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Coolant help, hard to get in the U.K, getting stuck with this problem !