1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 AM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
New Radiator

Hello,

After firing up my truck the other week, my radiator was spraying water better than my shower head. I decided that it was time to replace it. Looked in the archives and found that alot of you used the the Dodge mid 70's radiator as a replacement so that's what I decided to do. I ordered a new 1975 Dodge W100 radiator and it came this week. My old radiator was for a V8 flathead that the PO had closed one top and one bottom opening on to use it on the 1962 223 6cylinder that was put in my 52 in the early 70's. It was full of orange muck when I drained it yesterday even though I flushed it last spring. It was time to replace. I removed the fan blade and removed the old radiator. I now have started to modify the core support by removing the brackets where the old rad mounted but I am still having trouble. It looks like I'll need to remove the terminal strip on the front DS near the headlights as well as the crossbar that goes from one side of the core support to the other. Is this what you all have done? I am asking to just be sure I don't do something stupid AGAIN. I've tried to attach two pics, one of the terminal strip and one of the crossbar that I think I need to remove. Any tips and ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dennis

Old 03-20-2011, 01:08 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
There are a couple of pix in my gallery under heat and ac that show parts of my installation. I did not have a terminal block on my 49 and the radiator sits behind the cross bar. I made a piece out of 1 1/2" square tubing which I trimmed one of the 4 sides off making a channel from the square tubing such that it steps the radiator mounting flange back about 1.3 " from the original radiator mounting flange and steps the radiator back such that it sits where I wanted it. I do not have pix beyond those in my gallery. I drilled holes thru the channel at the locations of the original ford radiator bolt mount locations (the capture nuts on the original radiator support mounting flange) and used longer radiator mounting bolts. I redrilled mounting holes in the dodge radiator to matich the original ford radiator monting pattern. Using that configuration I was able to retain the original upper air dam that is bolted to the underside of the hood. Mine is mounted in the V8 position.
I would urge you to retain air dams whatever you do to maximize cooling.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:36 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Bill,
Thanks for pointing me to your gallery, I really liked your pictures. I struggled with the radiator and mounting all afternoon, gave up and took a shower. Got to think of what to do next.
Thanks again.