Sponsored by:

Biodiesel: Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Chrisaudax
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biodiesel: Yes or No?

Biodiesel is now cheaper than regular diesel in my neck of the woods. Should I consider it for my 03 Ex 6.0 PSD?
Cheers,
Chris

Old 03-18-2011, 04:52 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
How much cheaper? I would run your tank down to the bottom and then fill up say a quarter tank and see how it goes.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Sader
Senior User
Consider? Yes. I made my own Bio-D (used in my 05 6.0L) for a while and even ran it straight (B100) for a while. It is quieter, not as good of mpg, but it was a LOT cheaper. Now, prepare for frequent filter changes initially as the Bio-D will clean the fuel tank of the debris left from the regular filling stations.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:39 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Sader
Consider? Yes. I made my own Bio-D (used in my 05 6.0L) for a while and even ran it straight (B100) for a while. It is quieter, not as good of mpg, but it was a LOT cheaper. Now, prepare for frequent filter changes initially as the Bio-D will clean the fuel tank of the debris left from the regular filling stations.
How much cheaper when you figure out all you time and compute it as though you had tax on it? When you figure out buying the items and the interest that would be incurred in the purchase, storage cost, etc, etc, it might not be the same deal. It's like saying that because Dad owns a gas station and give me fuel for free, the operating cost of the Ford is very low compared to your Chevy or Dodge.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Chrisaudax
Freshman User
The analogy doesn't quite fit. If you make your own Biodiesel its just a matter of calculating your amortization. Depending on availability of source material and miles driven that amortization can be quite quick, especially now that diesel has hit $4 again.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:14 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Chrisaudax
The analogy doesn't quite fit. If you make your own Biodiesel its just a matter of calculating your amortization. Depending on availability of source material and miles driven that amortization can be quite quick, especially now that diesel has hit $4 again.
Well, the way I look at it, I count labor times too. Basically, what would it cost someone to do all that work? All the way from buying the chemicals to storage space, etc, etc. I calculate it as though I were setting up a business. So if I use my whole garage, for instance, what would it cost me to rent such a space.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by aklim
Well, the way I look at it, I count labor times too. Basically, what would it cost someone to do all that work? All the way from buying the chemicals to storage space, etc, etc. I calculate it as though I were setting up a business. So if I use my whole garage, for instance, what would it cost me to rent such a space.

Do you do this for food and such as well? Like how much electricity the stove will use how much time it will take you (labor) how many dishes and pans you dirty and will have to wash wasting water and electricity for the dish washer, dish washer soap and even more for your time to load and unload the dish washer, wear and tear on the stove and dish washer. How much cleaner will have to be used to clean the stove and even more labor time then cost of paper towel for cleaning which in turn you will have to replace so a run to the store is in order so you have to factor in gas cost and wear and tear on the vehicle plus again more of your time.

All that can be avoided if you just went to McDonalds and got a McChicken off the dollar menu.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:38 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Do you do this for food and such as well? Like how much electricity the stove will use how much time it will take you (labor) how many dishes and pans you dirty and will have to wash wasting water and electricity for the dish washer, dish washer soap and even more for your time to load and unload the dish washer, wear and tear on the stove and dish washer. How much cleaner will have to be used to clean the stove and even more labor time then cost of paper towel for cleaning which in turn you will have to replace so a run to the store is in order so you have to factor in gas cost and wear and tear on the vehicle plus again more of your time.

All that can be avoided if you just went to McDonalds and got a McChicken off the dollar menu.
If you want accurate numbers to make a comparison, you have to count everything. If you are going to fudge numbers, don't bother. You have to at least do the basic numbers like equipment cost and supplies, labor and storage and taxes. If not, how do you do an accurate comparison?

Old 03-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't think labor should be included. No matter what you do around the house or in the shop for yourself you never get paid for. Making bio would have to be like one of those "things" you just do and call it a hobby or what have you. If you are so absolutely pressed for time in your life that you have to consider if everything you are doing is worth 'your' time then I am sure making bio isn't for you. On the record I have never and probably never will make bio just inputting another point of view.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Paultv
Senior User
I always go to mcdonalds and order from the dollar menu, that's how I can afford to put gas in three vehicles, one being an X.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:39 AM
freesoul
Senior User
If its cheaper why WOULDN'T you use biodiesel? Its got higher cetane, biodegradable fuel and is made from a sustainable source. My buddy has over 50K miles on his 2005 6.0 PSD with B100 and so far I've got about 7K on my 2003 7.3L PSD.

Just be careful in colder weather, and be prepared with new fuel filter as the biodiesel will clean out all the dirt from petroleum thats in your tank.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Chrisaudax
Freshman User
Thanks. How many miles into using Biodiesel should I think about changing the fuel filter?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've been making and using bio for over 6 years now and will never go back to dinodiesel! My cost is around $1/gallon. No brainer for me............

Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 AM
freesoul
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chrisaudax
Thanks. How many miles into using Biodiesel should I think about changing the fuel filter?
when your truck tells you its time

seriously it depends- on how much crud is in your tank, and how much biodiesel you use.

be aware of one side-effect: your exhaust will smell much better

Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick Reply: Biodiesel: Yes or No?