Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f350 gasser

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 PM
madfrog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f350 gasser

just bought 95 5.8 srw f350...terrible gas mileage, especially at 3.50 gal. i knew that comin into it..just needed the four door option and ditten want to get into more debt...read about the maf sensor swap, but ditten c the thread on how/what to do. wonderin if changing the gears will make that big a difference compared to intial cost. also, runnin open air filter and a better flowing exhaust...motor is still very stock rite now. smog pump is hooked up! thanks in advance for any info.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You need to give some more info. What trans do you have? What gears do you have now? Is it 4x4? What MPG is it doing now?
Hopefully someone will be able to advise you.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Nevada Al
Senior User
Yeah need more info.... First I would start with a full tune-up and clean your EGR...If your rig isn't getting normal MPGs this will help more than anything..

Now what milage are you getting currently? cause these trucks aren't hybrids..lol You can put headers, exhaust, do a MAf conversion, change gears if needed...BUT...in reality all this will give you maybe another 2-3 MPG on the hiway and that may be generous depending on what your running with now... All these mods are really for power not mileage though they will have some effect on economy provided you keep your foot out of it but don't expect much..and the MAF is really only needed if you want to run a hot cam or have the ability to tune to mods.. Take into account the price of all this and then figure out how mach gas you would have to buy to break even with a 2mpg gain...

Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 PM
madfrog
New User
sorry...E40D, 2x4 and rear is limited slip 4.10. just bought it and drove it home. best guess, so far, is about 8 or 9 mpg. haven't checked the egr yet or to see if cat is clogged. thinkin about just cuttin the cat out anyhow this week and run new exhaust.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Nevada Al
Senior User
Well being a 2wd you should be able to get better then 8-9...

'Unless you have big tires (33" and bigger" on it for some reason a 3.55 would most likely be a big improvement for that truck in regards to MPG.... Removing the cat and free'n up the exhaust will help too but I would definetly change those gears and tune it up...

Old 03-18-2011, 08:53 PM
madfrog
New User
yes sir, thanks. 355 was what i was already thinking. all the tune up items, plugs, wires cap look new, but will probly pull it off and do it myself. gettin cat cut out next week and lookin for a better flowing air filter. gears mite be a month or so down the road. am gonna attempt to do them myself (with some very good help) i will update when all is complete. thanks.