1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
View Poll Results: To straight pipe or to not straight pipe - etc.
Will or do you have your truck straight piped?
87.50%
I will leave my exhaust stock
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Straight pipe - does it drone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight pipe - does it drone?

Curious if the straight pipe setup drone and or if they are wicked loud. I don't want to **** off the neighbors while warming up either.. I love good sounding exhaust and will straight pipe it if ya'll give it a good review.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Mine's been straight piped since day 1. I don't think you'll **** off your neighbors starting it up and letting idle, it's mostly engine noise at that point (or at least my truck is) with minimal turbo whistle. As soon as I get to rolling down the street, she's a bit louder. I usually put it in 2nd and try to keep the rev's down until I clear the end of the street in the morning.

Is your cat still in place? that's the most restrictive part of the exhaust, (well, that and the downpipe) our mufflers are already a straight-through design. You could always ditch the cat and the DP to start, and see how the sound level is. Then try ditching the muffler

Old 03-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think they're very loud. A little bit when you really get on it. My straight pipe does drone a little though

Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Mines loud if you put it on fast idle warming up. If you're in a tight neighborhood, they will hear it like that, or at least I know would hear mine. But, I wouldn't have it any other way either..

Old 03-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Mine's been straight piped since day 1. I don't think you'll **** off your neighbors starting it up and letting idle, it's mostly engine noise at that point (or at least my truck is) with minimal turbo whistle. As soon as I get to rolling down the street, she's a bit louder. I usually put it in 2nd and try to keep the rev's down until I clear the end of the street in the morning.

Is your cat still in place? that's the most restrictive part of the exhaust, (well, that and the downpipe) our mufflers are already a straight-through design. You could always ditch the cat and the DP to start, and see how the sound level is. Then try ditching the muffler
I bought the truck from a bud and he had a banks dp installed. I climbed under the truck and see the little kitty and have a feeling it's a bit clogged anyhow.. Should I punch it out or buy a 36 dollar piece of pipe to replace it?

I read in one of the manuals that the muffler is high performance or something to that effect. Straight through is perfect..

Old 03-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Mines loud if you put it on fast idle warming up. If you're in a tight neighborhood, they will hear it like that, or at least I know would hear mine. But, I wouldn't have it any other way either..
Straight piped turbo diesels do sound awesome, except maybe the 6 cylinder types..

Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Major Marvin
I bought the truck from a bud and he had a banks dp installed. I climbed under the truck and see the little kitty and have a feeling it's a bit clogged anyhow.. Should I punch it out or buy a 36 dollar piece of pipe to replace it?
I'd say that's up to your state emissions requirements. some do a visual inspection to 'see' if there's a cat and some don't. Doesn't really matter if you gut or put a blank in performance wise... whatever works for you

Old 03-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Originally Posted by Robbgt
I'd say that's up to your state emissions requirements. some do a visual inspection to 'see' if there's a cat and some don't. Doesn't really matter if you gut or put a blank in performance wise... whatever works for you
No emission tests where I'm at.. I guess knocking out the kitty would be the cheapest option..

Old 03-15-2011, 05:42 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
mine was just one straight pipe now it has 2 pipes with glass packs but i like loud

Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
My stock exhaust cackled bad but not much drone. My 4" to 5" tail has a dmax tone above 2000 or so.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did have mine straight piped, but after the 14 hour drive to Yellowstone a couple years back, the better half said put the muffler back in......

Old 03-15-2011, 08:04 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

I have straight pipe and live in a tight neighbourhood when I start up in the morning and hit the high Idle all the curtains and blinds on the block move and lights come on LOL.

My neighbours hate me BAHAHAHA!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 PM
meier63
Senior User
I was always told that the muffler provides backpressure that the 7.3 needs. My exhaust is minus the cat .... when I run it without the muffler it sounds awesome, but I swear, with the muffler ..... I seem to have more power with less turbo lag. Anyone ?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Originally Posted by meier63
I was always told that the muffler provides backpressure that the 7.3 needs. My exhaust is minus the cat .... when I run it without the muffler it sounds awesome, but I swear, with the muffler ..... I seem to have more power with less turbo lag. Anyone ?
That's the rule of thumb I remember for gassers.. gassers lose their low end without back pressure, from what I was told. I was also told that the turbo is the only back pressure needed so IDK...

Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I've always been in the minority regarding exhaust sound. I can't stand the flutter from the turbo, and straight piping the truck made it worse. I've torn the exhaust off the truck and replaced it with several other options, and this is the only one I consistently like: the cat was already gone when I bought the truck, so I've replaced the downpipe, put the stock muffler back on, and have expanded the exhaust to 5" immediately after the muffler. My exhaust now exits in the stock location, and at idle it sounds stock. Once you get into the throttle, the exhaust note is quite low, thanks to the 5" pipe, and the stock muffler tones the flutter down.

Your mileage may vary.

By the way, your poll only gives two options: straight piped or stock. I'm willing to bet there are trucks with something other than those two options.

Quick Reply: Straight pipe - does it drone?