6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Finally getting my SCT now for some serious questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:30 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
Finally getting my SCT now for some serious questions

Hi guys,

('04 PSD non studded/ egr delete tow 15k+ trailer)

I finally got my SCT and am most likely going with tunes from Gearhead. After posting a few times in regards to this tuner I am still confused as to what this thing can and cannot do....maybe you guys can help.

-Am I able to remove the EGR strategy from the PCM or is this something that is incorporated with the tunes I buy....or both?

-Am I able to add turbo braking to ANY program or again is this something that needs to be done by a custom tune....or both?

I talked to Matt @ Gearhead and HE DOES NOT RECOMMEND turbo braking, but wouldn't elaborate as to why.....does anyone know why some guys rave about it and some advise against it?

Thanks for the advice
Joe

Old 03-13-2011, 09:10 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all things that matt can do. i wouldnt do the turbo braking because the tow/haul already has a downshift sort of thing. with good trailer brakes and good brakes on the truck also i dont see why you would need it. the tow/haul works great for me going down hills and i tow way more than that from time to time.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:48 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
I am curious why some of you love the turbo braking and some say you don't need it?

Anyone?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rdunagan
all things that matt can do. i wouldnt do the turbo braking because the tow/haul already has a downshift sort of thing. with good trailer brakes and good brakes on the truck also i dont see why you would need it. the tow/haul works great for me going down hills and i tow way more than that from time to time.
It does, but not as aggressive as the turbo braking is.

Turbo braking is really only beneficial for the heavy haulers. Lots of weight. I would say ~10k or higher depending on how aggressive the person doing the tuning is. Also depends on terrain as well. It's really just supplemental towing help. It's not any different then adding an exhaust brake on there(actually very close to doing the same thing considering what powers a turbo) to help slow you down.

rdunagan would probably see the best benefit on the road that goes into Fredricksburg at the Nimitz museum(I can't remember the rd number though), that can have some tricky terrain and hauling a heavy load.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:28 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
On my SCT SF3, I can turn the EGR functionality on or off regardless of the tune that I'm running. I would assume that any/most custom tuners also have the ability to do the same within their tune. The SF3 has the turbo brake function, as well as an aggressive tow/haul that are independent of the selected tune as well (you can use these things even when running a stock tune). There are several other things that can be adjusted as well. I don't have an X3, but I would assume that it works the same way as the SF3.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:00 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Thank you guys for the responses...

Texas A&M......The SF3 is what Im referring too.... a few questions for you:

I tow a heavy three axle toyhauler.

-Is the turbo braking that comes standard with the SF3 as aggresive as what a custom programmer (Innovative or Gearhead etc) would write into a custom tune, or does it vary in aggresiveness if I added it with the programmer...or is it the same just on/off?

-Is the turbo braking SAFE for a non studded truck?

-Is the turbo braking most aggresive when the tow/haul is engaged?

Thanks for the help
joe

Old 03-14-2011, 02:14 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
I haven't used the turbo braking because I've heard some people don't like the way it operates. That said, I've only pulled my TT (9.5k lbs) once since getting the tuner, so I haven't had the chance to toy with it yet. My truck is not studded either, so I will be using the lowest tow tune most of the time (or until I get a custom tune).

To answer your other questions, I would assume that the SF3 turbo braking would be on par with a custom tune. I'm not sure how you could make that more aggressive... I think it would be either on or off.

From what I understand, the turbo brake is the same regardless of tow/haul being engaged. Some folks have found this to be a large disappointment... they get a tune from Eric or Matt or whoever, and realize that they can't turn the turbo brake off when they aren't towing. Again, I have no experience with this, but this seems to be a typical theme in different posts on this and other message boards.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to try different tunes out in the near future when we start using the trailer more, as well as some of the different settings on the SF3. If you send me your email, I can send you a file that SCT sent me that defines all of the functionality of the SF3 (I couldn't figure out what everything meant, and my computer wouldn't load the CD that came with the tuner).

Old 03-14-2011, 02:20 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
That sounds great....the best part about it all is that you explain it so a dummy like me understands it...thanks again....i'll PM you my address

Old 03-14-2011, 02:27 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TexasA&M
To answer your other questions, I would assume that the SF3 turbo braking would be on par with a custom tune. I'm not sure how you could make that more aggressive... I think it would be either on or off.
You are right, turbo braking is either on or off, but some tuners have turbo braking that produces more pressure then others hence more aggressive turbo braking.

I would only use it if your truck is physically towing something, not just happen to be running the tow tune.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:31 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Originally Posted by joe blow
That sounds great....the best part about it all is that you explain it so a dummy like me understands it...thanks again....i'll PM you my address
I had a TON of questions when I was looking at tuners and right after I bought mine. A couple of folks in particular helped me out, so I'm glad that I can finally answer someone else's questions! Also, when you're completely ignorant like me (when it comes to tuners, at least), it makes it easier to explain things using little words!!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
haha right!

PM on the way

Old 03-14-2011, 02:39 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Tex,

I only will be using it when towing my toyhauler......any chance you know if it is safe for my stock turbo/headbolts?
That is my main concern

Old 03-14-2011, 02:41 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by joe blow
Tex,

I only will be using it when towing my toyhauler......any chance you know if it is safe for my stock turbo/headbolts?
That is my main concern
I ran it for about the last 30k miles on my truck before I swapped out the stock turbo for my non-vgt and went with ARPs. There weren't any conditions presenting themselves at that point. That was towing weight between 15-16k.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:50 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by tex25025
I ran it for about the last 30k miles on my truck before I swapped out the stock turbo for my non-vgt and went with ARPs. There weren't any conditions presenting themselves at that point. That was towing weight between 15-16k.

That is good enough for me!

Thanks

Old 03-14-2011, 03:25 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
I was looking at the spread sheet that Texas A&M sent me and although the EGR delete function is checked off on the grid, in the subnotes it states

"EGR Delete Removes the Exhaust Gas Recirculation functions from normal engine operation. (Only on Off-Road Versions for 6.4L)"

Ii this correct that it only works for the 6.4? It really isn't a big deal because once I purchase the tunes from Matt he will remove the EGR strategy from all three tunes, but I was just curious if it indeed has this ability?

Also I had a question about the Lock 1-2-3....it states "Lock in 1-2-3
Locks the converter in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Aids in engine braking, increases fuel economy, and can be used for drag racing as well.

-Is this something any of you use for towing?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Finally getting my SCT now for some serious questions