Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help.. clicks under dash while cranking, no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:50 PM
IHMANKY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help.. clicks under dash while cranking, no start

Thought this was a "ghost problem" as it happened once last week and then not again.. until now. One day last week, went to start my truck and the engine was lugging hard while cranking, like zero degrees hard with conventional oil, instead of the 72* it was with synthetic. There was a loud clicking under the dash as well. Never even attempted to fire. Did it the second time I cycled the key, but the third time it cranked normally and fired right up. No problems anytime since then, until just now. It's not going to start. It started the clicking deal and the hard lugging right off, tried about ten cycles and nothing. I even cranked while practically standing on my head with the fuse panel off, still can't verify the clicking, sounds like a relay picking up and dropping out but who knows. Hopefully someone does. I've never had any starting issues with this truck, spins over like the first of august on the first of january, so whatever this is is causing the starter to drag maybe? Or maybe the starter is causing the issues... not sure. Think I'll go try the old "whack the starter" trick from back in my old 350 Chevy days.. In the meantime, help me out! Thanks fellas.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:58 PM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
Check your grounds and battery cables first. I had this issue,and it was the driverside battery connections.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:06 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen a bad cell on one of your batteries do the same thing. How old are your batteries? Have you checked the cranking voltage? The clicking is a relay dropping in and out due to low voltage.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:58 PM
IHMANKY
Senior User
Thanks guys!!

My batteries are a couple years old... just a couple months ago cleaned the connections and greased the terminals, will check there though... either way, you've saved me much troubleshooting and that's worth its weight in gold. Thanks again.. will let you know if I don't solve the issue..

Old 03-13-2011, 04:09 PM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
I had interstate go bad in months,so ya never know. Just hope its something cheap.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:43 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by zx250
...Have you checked the cranking voltage? The clicking is a relay dropping in and out due to low voltage...
X2
I had this last year. Cleaning battery posts and cable ends fixed mine.