1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Got Pulled over on Friday

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:55 AM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got Pulled over on Friday

So I was driving to a meeting on Friday, and I got pulled over. The cop tells me I have blinkers but no brake lights. He let me go but told me to get it fixed. I get to the meeting, and had another guy check and they work. I think what happened was I was too much slowing with gears, and not enough with brakes.

My question is I really had to romp on the brakes to get the lights to work. Would replacing the switch make them come on easier? I see no point in replacing a switch unless it will make it more sensitive.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:05 AM
ul37
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had the same thing happen to me awhile back.yes changing the switch did make a differance.after tring a few after market ones i found the one from ford worked best.if i remeber right it wasnt that expensive.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 AM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 606 Likes on 544 Posts
Originally Posted by Broomfieldbum
So I was driving to a meeting on Friday, and I got pulled over. The cop tells me I have blinkers but no brake lights. He let me go but told me to get it fixed. I get to the meeting, and had another guy check and they work. I think what happened was I was too much slowing with gears, and not enough with brakes.

My question is I really had to romp on the brakes to get the lights to work. Would replacing the switch make them come on easier? I see no point in replacing a switch unless it will make it more sensitive.

He probably just wanted to get a closer look at your truck!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by spurredon
He probably just wanted to get a closer look at your truck!
I wish, but considering I am still primer grey, I doubt it. I like the thought though!!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
I had that problem, and it turned out to be in a turn signal switch of all places, one of the contacts was going bad! I started by replacing the brake light switch, which made it come on a little sooner, but it eventually quit working all together, and was the turn indicator switch, which is much more pricey... I hope yours is only the brake light switch.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

I have thought of that, but i replaced the turn signal switch when I rewired the truck. I didn't replace the brake light switch, so I will get a new one and hopefully that will solve it.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Broomfieldbum
I have thought of that, but i replaced the turn signal switch when I rewired the truck. I didn't replace the brake light switch, so I will get a new one and hopefully that will solve it.

It probably will fix it, if you have replaced the turn switch! My original brake switch had developed a coat of thickened brake fluid, which I cleaned out with brake cleaner and a Q-tip, and it worked fineas a temporary, until I swapped in a new brake master/booster, at which point I replaced everything with new lines, wheel cylinders, shoes and switch. You can clean it out with electronics cleaner too, but they are so cheap a new one is the best way to go.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:41 PM
forddude66
Freshman User
sometimes on mine when you stepp on the brakes they work and other times they dont, but we checked all the connections and redid all of them but it still does it sort of, we havent replaced the switch yet but i was wondering if that had nything to do with it?

Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by forddude66
sometimes on mine when you stepp on the brakes they work and other times they dont, but we checked all the connections and redid all of them but it still does it sort of, we havent replaced the switch yet but i was wondering if that had nything to do with it?

That has everything to do with it! that is the usual culprit!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:11 PM
drof46
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Change it out to a GM plunger type brake switch under the dash. You can set it so you barely tap the brake and it comes on. Lot safer and keeps you from meeting your local police.