1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

"You can save yourself a lot of money by doing your own bodywork"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 AM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordman75
I think I'm just weird. I actually prefer doing body work over mechanical work( I get stuck doing much more mechanical work ) . Even though I'm probably not that good at doing body work. For some reason I find body work relaxing.

I also won't let anyone else but myself work on my vehicles. That and I can't afford to pay someone else to do the work. So that means I'm stuck doing my own repairs.
I can do the mechanical part of it but I'd prefer a professional to do it, that way if it gets messed up its on them and not me. I put the new engine and tranny, disk brake kit and stuff like that in my truck but I take it to napa here in town and have them go over it to make sure shes good to go. The only reason I can do this is because I will do all of my own body work and paint...

Old 03-10-2011, 04:04 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tardster
I can do the mechanical part of it but I'd prefer a professional to do it, that way if it gets messed up its on them and not me. I put the new engine and tranny, disk brake kit and stuff like that in my truck but I take it to napa here in town and have them go over it to make sure shes good to go. The only reason I can do this is because I will do all of my own body work and paint...
My problem is I don't trust most repair shops. Like the one local shop did an alignment on one of my dad's vans. He had to take it back 3 times before it was done right! The only stuff I won't do myself are machine work on engine parts & alignments ( just because I don't have the equipment ) .

Old 03-10-2011, 04:15 AM
tardster
Elder User
My problem is I don't trust most repair shops. Like the one local shop did an alignment on one of my dad's vans. He had to take it back 3 times before it was done right! The only stuff I won't do myself are machine work on engine parts & alignments ( just because I don't have the equipment ) .
Thats why I love living in small town America, this napa is owned by a guy who lives just a couple blocks from me and the same with his mechanic...

Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Thats why I love living in small town America, this napa is owned by a guy who lives just a couple blocks from me and the same with his mechanic...
The population of the town I live in is only 1,700.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 AM
tardster
Elder User
Wow ok you got me beat there, the population here is 4400. I take it the mechanic there is no good then?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:51 AM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gee, a booming megalopolis!! Just over 1200 here, but a LOT of them, are outlying farms, so in-town, I'm sure, is a lot lower. Heck, we just got indoor plumbing, and someday soon, electricity will be coming to town!

I also trust NO one to do my mechanical work. Not a problem with them being good, or bad - just don't think anyone does the same, conscientious work that I do, on my vehicles.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Wow ok you got me beat there, the population here is 4400. I take it the mechanic there is no good then?
Actually there are 5 or 6 repair shops, a big truck repair place, a transmission rebuilder and a guy that does nothing but diesel repairs.

There are some good ones. I'm going to have the diesel guy rebuild the injector pump out of my diesel truck. But I'm going to remove and re-install it.

Originally Posted by rcav8or
Gee, a booming megalopolis!! Just over 1200 here, but a LOT of them, are outlying farms, so in-town, I'm sure, is a lot lower. Heck, we just got indoor plumbing, and someday soon, electricity will be coming to town!

I also trust NO one to do my mechanical work. Not a problem with them being good, or bad - just don't think anyone does the same, conscientious work that I do, on my vehicles.
Roger I hope that indoor plumbing works out for you!

I feel the same way. Who is going to care more for your vehicle? You or just some guy collecting a pay check.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:56 AM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I think you will find a show type body make over will run well over $10,000 if you hire a pro shop and have very much body work to do.
A fairly good paint job with a fair amount of body work will be well over $2,000.
Depending on what you want, you can figure out how much work you have to do at your job to earn enough extra money to pay for that. Or you can do it yourself.
I have been doing body work for over 50 years and I still enjoy doing it. I love watching a bent piece of metal take on a life of it's own as it's worked and made like new again.
If you want a nice looking truck and don't want to do the work, start saving your penny's and pay someone like me to do it.
One nice thing about doing body work is it's not stone. If you do it and don't like the results, simply grind it all off and start over.
Things that take a guy like me 30 mins to do may take you 10 hours, but eventually it will get easier. I have pounded on dents thousands of hours, so have a better idea of where and how hard to hit. You will just have to spend time learning.
Just ask, and someone will be around to answer questions about what material to use and how to use it.
The bottom line is it's your truck and make it what you want it to be, and most of all enjoy the experience.
Larry

Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
My town is a ghost town. The county seat is less than 1500 population. Body shops around here have absolutely no interest in working on anything except a quick late-model insurance job. You'd think they wouldn't have much business, but the pillheads, idiots, and drunks keep them rolling. My brother used to work in one shop. People would bring in their antique truck or car occasionally, and they'd promise them the moon. Then he said the owner would push the thing into the corner and openly comment that they MIGHT get around to it in 6 months after the customer left. I don't tolerate people like that. To be honest, I'd rather go buy a bucket of drywall mud and slather it on my truck than kiss those people's a$$. After all I've been through in my life, I will not accept somebody telling me that I can't do something. I have a buddy who is a school teacher, but always a wrench head since we were tiny kids. He started a project and somebody smarted off to him about how he couldn't do it. He went and took a 2 week welding class at the community college. Now those same people ask him to do their stuff. As far as my body work, I'm gonna do it myself. If it turns out bad, so be it. But I won't be at somebody else's mercy.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:15 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Hey Shane, are you going to the Louisville Swap Meet the end of the month, let me know, a few of the FTE group are meeting at HOT RODS TRUCK PARTS booth around noon, Garry

Old 03-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Yeah I really want/need to go. I've got a stupid meeting that morning, so I'm not sure I'll make it by noon. I'm assuming you're talking about that saturday.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Go lurk here

Metalshaper Professionals

You don't need all the fancy equipment
You need to learn how to talk to/listen to the metal

Old 03-10-2011, 05:40 PM
reg1952
Senior User
I used to hate doing drywall mud. But after doing it around the house on a few reno projects I got petty good.And thats makes you fill better about the hole thing.The more you do a job the better you get and the bigger your chest can stick out when you can say I did that!Just take it slow.Dont take on a big job to start.Get to know how to smooth it out and when and where to sand.After awhile youll wonder why you thought it was so hard.When I started making patch panels for my fenders I thought I would never get this to work.After I did the rear fenders the floor just went as slick as you know what.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reg1952
I used to hate doing drywall mud. But after doing it around the house on a few reno projects I got petty good.And thats makes you fill better about the hole thing.
I don't care who you are, that there is funny, intentional, or not...

R

Old 03-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Originally Posted by lvin4jc33
Ok, your comments and my looking at some old pics of the truck all put together got me out of my slump. Patience is something i'm also short on and no, I don't expect i'll ever like bodywork very much. But I don't have a big budget for this truck and shiny paint was never on the list anyway. So doing it myself is more important to me than having it perfect.

I guess maybe what I need more than anything is an idea of how far to go with the bodywork....
7 or 8 years ago, I was in exactly the same place as you. I put off the body work because I had never done any but knew I would be doing it on my truck because my budget was too small to pay a pro.

I read some articles and talked to some folks and got a few pointers. I got info on the best products and what tools I would really need. The first few areas I did were tough and took forever. As I learned, I got better and faster at it. I didn't care for the work. It was messy and very tiring on my old bones. Once i settled on the idea that it would take whatever time it needed to be right, and focused on the quality of the finished product, it went a lot faster...and a lot better. I eventually got good enough that I went back and redid some areas that weren't "good enough".

I can now say that while it isn't my favorite kind of work, I am skilled at it. The end result fills me with great pride and gets positive comments from the pros I know.

It was, in fact, the most rewarding part of the build.

1956 Ford F100 4x2 - Bodywork

Good luck. Take your time.

Quick Reply: "You can save yourself a lot of money by doing your own bodywork"