1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

best motor oil for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 AM
86F150302
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scalladaballa
Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil and Filter. Can't beat it. Been using that in my truck since day one...actually I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles.

This is going to be one of those threads where people will always say that their particular brand is better...but the main thing to remember...constant oil changes. Other than that...pick your oil of choice (hint: Mobil 1 )
^^^^^^^^^

Old 03-09-2011, 04:37 AM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I also use Mobil 1 and Motorcraft filters on all my Fords. The one lone chevy gets
Mobil 1 and an AC filter.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 AM
smashclash
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it make any difference on your engine if you switch between 10w-30 to 10w-40 between oil changes? (going both ways?)

Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Anafiel
I'll remove the Fram from my truck this weekend.
Even though I am partial to Motorcraft products, I will agree that there are a lot of good oil brands out there. Valvoline would be my second choice, and is what I use on my Jeep.

But, I am going to say without a doubt to STAY AWAY from Fram oil filters! The Motorcraft oil filter is made by Purolater, one of the best in the business. Wix (NAPA, CarQuest) would be my second choice, and is what I use on my Jeep.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:42 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
I would cross reference the WIX part numbers and get an Motorcraft Oil Filter for your Jeep as well, if they make one.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Any oil is better than no oil.
Nearly any clean oil is better than old nasty oil.
Oil viscosity is a matter of choice, and can vary widely depending on the climate the engine is subjected to.

Changing from say 10w30 to 10w40 between changes of oil and seasons is pretty common.

My personal choices of filters are WIX, Baldwin, Motorcraft.
Having actually seen a Fram (AKA: orange can of death) that the filter media disolved, I won't run one. We've all heard the rumors, I've seen it person. Good enough for me.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:40 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
What have you been running in the '80 in your sig, Rogue? Must be pretty good stuff if it's still kickin' at 310K.

I've run Rotella 15w40 non-synthetic for a couple years now with no problems. I tried it upon a suggestion by my uncle, who's been working on engines for decades. From what I've read on here it also has a good amount of zinc (or ZDDP) in it, which I hear is good for our older motors. I'm no expert though, so...lol

As far as filters, I only use either Motorcraft or Wix. I used to have a Fram but I had a fit when I noticed lower oil pressure. That was like six years ago and I haven't used one since. lol

Anyone know anything about the K&N oil filters? I know their air filters are great, but I don't know about their oil filters.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:48 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan
As far as filters, I only use either Motorcraft or Wix. I used to have a Fram but I had a fit when I noticed lower oil pressure.
I used a Fram one time about 7 years ago when I first got my truck and my oil pressure dropped as well. I replaced it with a Motorcraft FL-1A and the pressure came right back up. I have used Motorcraft, and only Motorcraft since then.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:04 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
I thought it was because the Fram filter was a better filter and was therefore more restrictive, but after reading up on it, seems it's just restrictive.

With either Motorcraft or Wix, the oil pressure gauge needle is touching the L in NORMAL at startup. At operating temp it's around R or M, sometimes a little lower.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:19 PM
krazeyelf
Senior User
I used to use Fram filters but I seemed to notice better oil pressure over the life of the filter with other filters. The reason I started using WIX was when they had the covers removed on several oil filters (except Motorcraft) at the parts house. I could see that the components in the WIX filter were superior to the Fram and the store brand, including an actual metal spring and better filter material and flowback preventer. I've never seen the inside of a motorcraft filter but I'll consider switching for my next oil change.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:30 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's something I found that shows the inside of motorcraft vs several other brands.
http://hillerford.com/resource_libra...aftcompare.pdf

Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan
What have you been running in the '80 in your sig, Rogue? Must be pretty good stuff if it's still kickin' at 310K.

I've run Rotella 15w40 non-synthetic for a couple years now with no problems. I tried it upon a suggestion by my uncle, who's been working on engines for decades. From what I've read on here it also has a good amount of zinc (or ZDDP) in it, which I hear is good for our older motors. I'm no expert though, so...lol

As far as filters, I only use either Motorcraft or Wix. I used to have a Fram but I had a fit when I noticed lower oil pressure. That was like six years ago and I haven't used one since. lol

Anyone know anything about the K&N oil filters? I know their air filters are great, but I don't know about their oil filters.
2 important notes here. 1.) The engine was rebuilt a couple years before I bought the truck. 2.) The truck could have well over 400K on it total, rather than just the 330K I can confirm...... (sig is old)
I used valvoline 10w40 for the first few years, then switched to rotella 15w40. Wix or Motorcraft filters, with an occasional Baldwin when they were available to me.
I've only added about 100K in the last 13.5 years, since this truck hasn't been my primary driver for the last 10.

Odo readings are actually:
F150 30K (330, 430, 530?)
Nissan 241K
RX7 230K (and 2 more with over 200K each)
My son's 95 B2300 160K

The F150 is the only thing I own that doesn't have a Million mile odo, so it's "true" mileage is not known. The rest have the extra digit, to prove their miles of service.....

Old 03-09-2011, 03:19 PM
williamgrogan
Freshman User
DONT USE FRAM!!! i used them all the time till my new truck blew the guts out of it i use carquest filters they are made by the wix company i also use castrol 10w-30 with the lucas stabilizer valvoline is also a good oil clean oils as long as you keep up on changes u dont really have to use synethic but if your forget full or run the **** out of it then synethic is your best bet mobil is the best i know of

Old 03-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
I used a Fram one time about 7 years ago when I first got my truck and my oil pressure dropped as well. I replaced it with a Motorcraft FL-1A and the pressure came right back up. I have used Motorcraft, and only Motorcraft since then.

SON OF A B###H!!!

For the last 6 months I've been stressing over a drop in my oil pressure. It's been at the lower range of acceptable, so I haven't completely freaked, but it's been a constant sub-conscious drain on me.

Anyone want to guess how long ago it was that I switched to Fram filters, because of that neat non-slip grip they have?

anyone???

Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
uh.... 6 months ago?

Quick Reply: best motor oil for my truck