6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New PCM Recal. 11B23

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:57 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got truck today.
Got in Interstate running 70 mph; reset LOM; indicating 9.8 MPG, seemed really low and I suspected truck was in regen; pushed the Setup button and Reset - yep, "Cleaning Exhaust Filter..... completed just as I made my exit about 20 miles later.

Return trip on the Interstate; running 60 MPH, reset LOM, indicating 22.1 MPG when I got off about 15 miles later. 17.n is the best I've ever been able to get before running down the Interstate @ 60 MPH from the message center.

70 MPH is 2250 RPM for me; 60 MPH is just under 2000 RPM.

I hope the hard calculations match the truck's display; usually my actual is a few tenths lower; I fill to the brim every fuel fill.

Bob

Old 04-02-2011, 09:30 AM
RoadJunkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "Customer Satisfaction" initiative, 11B23, identified several enhancements that would more rapidly notify 6.4l drivers of impending mechanical issues and take some sort of evasive action, up to--and including--placing the truck in the so called limp mode. Don't we think that if Ford had also included a miracle enhancement to increase fuel performance that they would not only include this feature in the announcement, but shout it from the all directions? I'm not doubting anyone, but I sure am skeptical of any sustained fuel performance benefits of this PCM initiative. I'm very interested in hearing if these sudden fuel benefits are hopeful experiences or the real deal.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:07 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I suspect Ford won't advertise improved mpg even if this flash offered it. If I read between the lines, I think the real motivation behind this CSP is ultimately driven by Ford to reduce *their* warranty costs. Side benefit is it reduces our problems as well...and of course, that leads to increased perception of quality.

Unless advertising a significant improvement, like the big increase to 400hp/800ftlb torque on the 6.7, most people probably won't notice any minor improvements and then get upset. When the 6.7 flash was updated, I don't remember seeing 'increased mpgs' advertised with flashing neon lighting, though it seems folks got some incremental gains.

If there is any improvement/changes in shifting, mpgs, or performance in our 6.4's, it's probably the result of all of the incremental tweaks made since our trucks were last flashed. Maybe some improved mpgs come as a result. Hence, I suspect the '08 guys will see more "improvement" compared to say, my '10.

The real bummer is, the flash revision history and detailed changes aren't made public (as far as I've tried searching). The problem with that is, simple psychology lets our hopeful minds wander.

I'm going to watch my hand-calc'd mpgs in the next several fillups to see if there's any change. My mpgs in the last 350miles since flashing don't seem to be much different, but I'm having a rash of partial regens messing up my mpgs...so it's early to say. The weather has been warming up significantly here recently (85F yesterday and I'm running the A/C!!) and I'm sure we're starting to get a non-winter blend of fuel, so the timing of the flash and fuel differences are 2 big variables.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:27 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by aquaman
I suspect Ford won't advertise improved mpg even if this flash offered it. If I read between the lines, I think the real motivation behind this CSP is ultimately driven by Ford to reduce *their* warranty costs. Side benefit is it reduces our problems as well...and of course, that leads to increased perception of quality.

Unless advertising a significant improvement, like the big increase to 400hp/800ftlb torque on the 6.7, most people probably won't notice any minor improvements and then get upset. When the 6.7 flash was updated, I don't remember seeing 'increased mpgs' advertised with flashing neon lighting, though it seems folks got some incremental gains.

If there is any improvement/changes in shifting, mpgs, or performance in our 6.4's, it's probably the result of all of the incremental tweaks made since our trucks were last flashed. Maybe some improved mpgs come as a result. Hence, I suspect the '08 guys will see more "improvement" compared to say, my '10.

The real bummer is, the flash revision history and detailed changes aren't made public (as far as I've tried searching). The problem with that is, simple psychology lets our hopeful minds wander.
I don't think there is any question the intent of the reflash is to program the computer to intervene more quickly to water in the fuel system or water or oil in the crank case and I forgot the third one but clearly they are the big ticket warranty items. Hence the mandatory reflash and as I recall if you don't get the flash and have one of those failures Ford is gonna deny the warranty. That should get some lawyer involvement from someone who buys an unflashed used truck with warranty left. But it makes sense that they would do that and that we should get the flash. I'm just sorta hoping it also changes my 4.30 diffy into a 3.73.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 AM
DynamoDale
Senior User
I sure hope the new flash helps on the mileage I will sure be checking my this coming week as I head back out to Nevada to work, It will be all Interstate driving 70-75mph.

2008 F-450 cc long box 3.73 gears

Old 04-03-2011, 01:38 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A key benefit of the new flash should be that for all the folks who *know* there is a problem with their trucks, but run into dealers with the "No DTC, no troubleshooting" attitude, the new flash should identify the developing problem and provide the DTC to get the dealers to actually deal with the problem. This seems to be supported by several reports of people who had DTCs and limp mode show up on the first drive cycle after the new flash.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:49 PM
sdrono
Junior User
Just got back from a 120 mile trip today and the LOM indicated 12.8 driving around 70mph with a 30-35 side to head wind. I haven't had the chance to fill up to really check the numbers. Will do that tomorrow. But even last summer I wouldn't get over 12 mpg driving 70 with no wind. So so far I would say I have at least a 1-2 mpg increase since flash and with fuel prices going up I welcome any increase.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still havent received a letter. Anyone know if this covers ALL 6.4 engines or just certain ones? Anyone else still waiting on a letter?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:53 PM
RoadJunkie
Senior User
I don't think you need a letter, they never looked at mine. Applies to all 6.4l vehicles, as far as I know.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caprang
I still havent received a letter. Anyone know if this covers ALL 6.4 engines or just certain ones? Anyone else still waiting on a letter?
It appears to apply to all 6.4s. If you bought the truck used, or changed addresses the letter might have issues getting to you. Just have your dealer look up your VIN in OASIS and it should list the 11B23 customer satisfaction program.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
thunder64ybd
Trailering
HELP, Sounds like my horn is blowing driving down the road @ times I have unplug the horn just to see if that was it no help. It dose not do it all the time only 1 time this week.?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 PM
thunder64ybd
Trailering
Sorry I put my post in the wrong place

Old 04-05-2011, 12:20 PM
sdrono
Junior User
OK so I filled up last night and calced the mpg and it came out to be 12.5 so LOM wasn't to far off. So based on previous mpg and the fact that I was driving at 70 mph (2500 RPM) with a 30-35 mph side to head wind I believe I'm getting at least a +1.5 - 2 mpg gain since my reflash. We maintain my logs and keep all posted. However my truck only has 14500 miles on it so I don't drive it very often. I have an old 95 Olds Achieva I drive to work to save money on fuel and wear and tear on truck. Will be taking a 500 mile trip at end of month to pick up new 5th wheel and will dead head down and tow back. So this will give me some good numbers to compare also.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wp6529
It appears to apply to all 6.4s. If you bought the truck used, or changed addresses the letter might have issues getting to you. Just have your dealer look up your VIN in OASIS and it should list the 11B23 customer satisfaction program.
Nope! Just certain ones.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:33 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by vloney
Nope! Just certain ones.
Really, I'm gussing the 08s, right?

Quick Reply: New PCM Recal. 11B23