1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:00 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Got the engine parts back from the machine shop this morning. Around mid-day, it was an empty block, and completely torn down, well, it's a purty little Y-block now.

This morning:

Now:

It will go in tomorrow....yeah, along with the transmission, and drive shaft.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:07 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Since this is a Dearborn cast block, the color shceme (according to info found from abe, and other sources) is all red, with argent valve covers, and a black oil fill cap, and black air cleaner. The fuel pump will be natural finish, along with the carburetor. I am lost, however, on the exhaust manifolds, and crossover. I have found some paint evidence to suggest they were black, but there is also significant information to say they're argent as well. I have also found some reasons to believe they were not painted at all, and should be left as cast. One part that seems to be missing from so many restored Y's, are the tin shields that go behind the manifolds, that protect the valve covers. I have them, and they are indeed black, along with the shields for the spark plugs. I am considering leaving the manifolds "as cast" except with some flame proof VHT nu'cast paint. I am not sure yet. Abe, e-mail me a copy of one of your color brochures please, so that I may look at it, or post a decent copy of it in here, PLEASE, and thank you.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:12 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by wmjoe1953
Since this is a Dearborn cast block, the color shceme (according to info found from abe, and other sources) is all red, with argent valve covers, and a black oil fill cap, and black air cleaner. The fuel pump will be natural finish, along with the carburetor. I am lost, however, on the exhaust manifolds, and crossover. I have found some paint evidence to suggest they were black, but there is also significant information to say they're argent as well. I have also found some reasons to believe they were not painted at all, and should be left as cast. One part that seems to be missing from so many restored Y's, are the tin shields that go behind the manifolds, that protect the valve covers. I have them, and they are indeed black, along with the shields for the spark plugs. I am considering leaving the manifolds "as cast" except with some flame proof VHT nu'cast paint. I am not sure yet. Abe, e-mail me a copy of one of your color brochures please, so that I may look at it, or post a decent copy of it in here, PLEASE, and thank you.
Your red block and argent valve covers look good! I do not think the 239's had the plug shields. I will check my color brochures and look. I will have to scan them for you.

I think the best thing is to have the manifolds and crossover the cast color. I have seen some engines where they are painted black and some that are painted silver and they don't look right... Will get back to you on the brochures.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:45 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Thanks abe. Yeah, I have shields for the plugs, and the ones that go behind the manifolds to protect the valve covers. I agree, I think that they would look best in cast color. I would love to see some brochure images. I went ahead, and got a can of VHT flameproof cast coming, just because I think it would look best that way. I have a few more pictures uploaded, and here's a couple.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:46 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Actually, now that I think about it, I might not have plug shields, but I do have the ones that go between the valve covers, and manifolds. I'll have to check later.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:49 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Just checked, the tin shields that go between the head, and the exhaust manifolds, have the plug shields built in to them. They were black, so I think that them being black, and the manifolds being cast, set off against the perfectly detailed engine, is going to look absolutely phenominal. Looking at that tranny, I think I might just go get some stencils, and fix it....paint the whole thing, and redo the yellow "3TAB." It looks like crap right now, in my opinion.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:02 AM
Bessie
More Turbo
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Joe, my 54 239 Y also does not have the plug shields, but I do have a set and I'm going to use them on mine. In having my truck for 34 years, I found there is a reason they starting using them in 55. I went through many sets of plug wires due to the heat.

Also, mine does not have the manifold shields - I have never seen these - looking forward to seeing these when you get to that point.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:06 AM
Bessie
More Turbo
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Also, what's the serial number of the truck? Did you find the vin stamped into the frame? Should be right under the red and white rags in the pictures you posted.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Yeah, the vin is there, clearly visible. I'll jot down the number after a bit. I'll also get a picture of the shields up here today. This truck is a one owner, been in the family since new, never been altered (except rear tires, and a custom rear bumper added later), kind of truck, so it's neat finding things that are usually gone on most of our other trucks. Heck, I even found a set of the road reflectors, with flags.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:29 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by wmjoe1953
Looking at that tranny, I think I might just go get some stencils, and fix it....paint the whole thing, and redo the yellow "3TAB." It looks like crap right now, in my opinion.
I was going to mention something about the tranny. It should be engine color as far as I know....

Old 04-23-2011, 12:41 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
I thought about that abe, and wasn't too sure, except that while tearing down, and cleaning, I found it was black. There were enough areas left wqith paint, that I am able to paint it exactly like original. This particular truck, had a gloss black frame, red motor, and trimmings, and argent covers, and a black tranny, and drivetrain. The inconsistancies make me believe that no two trucks are the same, as I have numerous paint schemes that appear absolutely authentic.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:00 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Testing the fit, and look of a few things. OH MAN this is gonna turn heads. I will dumbfounded if this '54 doesn't take trophies when he gets the chance to show it.

Here's the tin shields that were on the truck. This truck may have been repaired due to a recall or something, because the numbers stamped on the shields are a B8****whatever, and a C1*****whatever. But the truck has never been touched by anyone other than Ford.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:01 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
The manifolds are sprayed with VHT cast colored paint, which very closely matches cast that has been cleaned and scrubbed, but I see a silver appearance, so I wonder if this is why argent is considered to be the color of the manifolds.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:23 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I've been quietly following your progress & you know what strikes me is
how well everything just fits together if you keep the original engine. transmission, & front suspension. You send the engine off to get it all cleaned up & you just put it back in there where it fits like a glove. It's in stark contrast to my 1950 F1 which has a mustang II suspension welded into the front & a 351W shoehorned in there. Don't get me wrong I like my truck but that one you are working one just looks like it all belongs together. I love that Engine color with the valve covers - made me re-think my unpainted engine. Nice Job!

Ben in Austin

Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Thanks Ben. Yeah, it's amazing how well things work, when reassembled the way they were intended to be. I have found, between the Falcon I did, and this truck here, that you can have all the mods you want, but what is really cool, and looks absolutely phenominal, is making it all look authentic. The Falcon, looked like it all belonged, with the 5.0, and the MII kit up front, because I used a stock fan, and stock brackets, and made it look like a mild modification, even though, it had well over 300 HP, and spun through a nice little T-5. When I get back on my F-750, I am going to go the same route, making it all look authentic, and stock, even though it will be a diesel powered custom semi.

Quick Reply: Another Project