1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

292 colors

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:47 AM
capecodwillie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
292 colors

I have a 1958 f100 with a 292 all original including a sort of orange color block with white or cream color valve covers and air cleaner.I know for a fact that it is not a repaint. I am the second owner. Can any one tell me where to get this paint. I do not realy like the colors but would like to keep it as factory looking as possible. My son thinks it close to a Catipiller color. He is 19 so he must be right.
Thank you for any help you can give.
Paul

Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by capecodwillie
.... He is 19 so he must be right....

Ha! That's a good one.I remember when I was 19 and Right.

You'll find the topic of factory engine color discussed/argued endlessly.Your engine,though not repainted,may have been replaced,and who knows what color a re-builder would have painted it.To read further,and still remain confused about engine colors,do a search for Factory Engine Colors in the search bar on the first page of the 48-60 Forum.Steve

Old 03-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
If you have a big enough piece that is salvageable, take it to a PPG place and they can match it. Depends on how exact you want. It is a yellowish orange color, the catapiller color is pretty close. I don't think the valve covers were a different color, they were likely painted when they were removed to fix a leaking gasket. It was common practice to put gas in them and light them to burn up the oil sludge, then wire brush and paint. I have done it many many times over the years.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:51 AM
capecodwillie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the search advice, I will give it a try.
The motor is original and not re-built (yet). I am a close friend of the orignal owner so
we know it's history. Others have asked my same question on many forums but I have never found the corect color. Others say theirs are original too. Seems like a simple thing
but I guess not.
Thanks again!
Paul

Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 PM
awhtx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The engine in my 58 F600 is that same orange color.