Sponsored by: DP Tuner

NEWBY QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:49 PM
MODTOY
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEWBY QUESTIONS

I am a proud new owner of a 01 F250 7.3, Ive been on the site for a couple weeks checking things out and wow what a lot of info in here. Ive got a couple of concerns on my truck any help would be appreciated. I have a small diesel leak from a metal pipe with nothing connected to it, it is passenger side front of engine just below the head, its odd not to see it connected to anything. This is the first diesel Ive owned but I am pretty knowledgable on gas and ive done my share of wrenching .... also I have a trans leak from an in-line trans filter also right lower side between radiator and engine. I asked at the local Napa parts house to get and new one since its leaking but I guess its not a stock part, Im told it was a ford TSB so I checked with ford and sure enough, now they want 100 bucks for the kit to replace this filter, is the filter necessary and can I get an aftermarket.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can remove the transmission filter. Sounds like one of the magnafine ones. Your fuel leak sounds like the drain valve for the fuel bowl.

You can find the parts here: Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Old 03-04-2011, 11:33 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.. You right, this is a great place to info on learning all about superduty's.. Again a big welcome aboard.. !!
The only thing that comes to mind for your 01 is the mechanical diode on the auto trans... They have problems.. someone else here can add more info for ya..

Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 PM
th67ss
Senior User
Here's a link for how to fix the fuel leak.

Welcome to guzzle's PSD Fuel Filter Drain Valve Repair Web Page

Pretty simple once you get the right o-rings.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It sounds like either you A. have a previous owner who put on the inline filter and/or B. you have a dealer installed reman tranny and the inline filter is part of the install. Either way, you can replace the filter real easily and it's no where near $100. It's probably the $16 one on this site. Order it from here: Magnefine Filters--Online Order Form

Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 AM
jcahicks
Senior User
Welcome to the site. I am fairly new too. I've had my diesel few years but havejust recently started having troubles with it. These guys are always willing to help and so far I have not gotten any bad advice. This is the place to be. I cant offer any help to you just encouragement to listen to them. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:39 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all Welcome to the 7.3 side of FTE. we're all family here so no question is too dumb. we've all been there.
sounds like your fule filter drain pipe is what you're seeing. the links posted above will get you fixed up. And as usual Chris has you up and rolling with your filter set up.
stick around we'll have you wrenchin in no time

Barney

Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Welcome bud, only thing I'll add is while you are fooling with the fuel bowl drain tube put a piece of 3/8" hose on it so when you open the valve you can catch the fuel in a drain pan without it running down the crossmember & all over.