EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

My ecoboost drive experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 04:36 PM
WildBill Racing
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
After having a day to digest my fantastic drive, I will say a little more.

The 5.0L XLT truck that I drove wow'd me and I mean this thing is the bomb on all counts.

The 3.5L truck that I drove yesterday WOW'd me. The thought of a 3.5L engine pulling like that is astonishing to say the least. Of course, the King Ranch package made things pretty comfy too.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that for the fella that doesn't tow or haul much. the 3.5L with the 3.31 axle is plenty of truck. Ford is building plenty of 6.7L superduties with the 3.31 axles and they seem to do fine.

Naturally everyone will want the 3.73's or the 4.10's and then complain like a sailor that this thing drinks gas. Well Duh! Ya think?!

All I can say is this: Be smart and get what you need. I will most likely NOT get the ecoboost truck as bad as I want one for the very same reason that I'm not getting a superduty. I don't need it and I have no one to compete with.
Watch the sailor comment Mr. Shallow Water!

Old 03-04-2011, 05:27 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by WildBill Racing
Watch the sailor comment Mr. Shallow Water!
Hey, I started as a bubblehead! LOL

Old 03-04-2011, 06:29 PM
WildBill Racing
Junior User
Hey, I started as a bubblehead! LOL
OMG!!! That's even worse!

You do know what this pin REALLY represents, right?

Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
OMG!!! That's even worse!

You do know what this pin REALLY represents, right?

I do know but why don't you tell me anyway.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:25 PM
WildBill Racing
Junior User
I do know but why don't you tell me anyway.
Not in OPEN forum!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Not in OPEN forum!
Since we are a G rated web site, here ya go shipmate:

The insignia of the U.S. Navy's Submarine Service is a Submarine flanked by two dolphins in a horizontal position with their heads resting on the upper edge of the bow planes. Dolphins, the traditional attendants to Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea and patron deity of sailors, are symbolic of a calm sea. The Submarine insignia adopted in March, 1924, is a bow view of a submarine proceeding on the surface with bow planes rigged for diving. The dolphins represented on this insignia are fish, not mammals. The more familiar gray bottle-nose dolphin is a marine mammal. Its keen intelligence, curiosity, and friendliness to man have led submariners to consider it as a mascot of the Silent Service.

The origin of the U.S. Navy Submarine Insignia dates back to 13 June 1923. Captain Ernest J. King, USN,Commander, Submarine Division Three (later Fleet Admiral and Chief of Naval Operations during World War II), suggested to the Secretary of the Navy, via the Bureau of Navigation (later known as BUPERS), that a distinguished device for qualified submariners be adopted. He submitted a pen-and-ink sketch of his own showing a shield mounted on the beam of a submarine, with dolphins forward and aft of the conning tower. The suggestion was strongly endorsed by Commander Submarine Divisions, Atlantic. During the next several months the Bureau of Navigation solicited additional designs from several sources. Among the designs were a submarine and shark motif, a submarine and shield, and submarines with ancient dolphins.

Anyway, we should get back on topic or John will have my a$$. : LOL!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 AM
egbertnr
Freshman User
I was considering getting an older diesel truck but being that a 3.5 EB engine is a little more affordable new and I dont do near enough hauling to justify the bigger truck this seems the way to go for me.

Plus I have a little experience with Direct injected turboed engine considering my car is somewhat similar, Mazdaspeed6.

But like the first post stated it took me a little while to get used to the ticking of the injectors.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Originally Posted by egbertnr
I was considering getting an older diesel truck but being that a 3.5 EB engine is a little more affordable new and I dont do near enough hauling to justify the bigger truck this seems the way to go for me.
I'm in the same boat, nearly bought an LBZ Duramax! I will wait and possibly get an EcoBoost when they do the 2011 runouts. (I hope!)

Old 03-07-2011, 08:22 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Hey Tim What was the down low power like? Is it a stump puller?. And just so you know the best NCO I ever had in the Army/National Guard was a bubble head! He was a boomer. He taught me a lot! I have a feeling that a lot of people will whine about fuel economy but will not admit to having a heavy right foot!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by akalogan
Hey Tim What was the down low power like? Is it a stump puller?. And just so you know the best NCO I ever had in the Army/National Guard was a bubble head! He was a boomer. He taught me a lot! I have a feeling that a lot of people will whine about fuel economy but will not admit to having a heavy left foot!
I'll put it to you like this. The Ford rep a that accompanied the truck is an engineer. He said the 6.2L is a fuel sucking dog compared to the ecoboost. This engine will pull what ever any half ton truck is capable of pulling.

This is simply a prelude to bigger an better things from Ford, you all watch and see. The 6.2L is a bandaide.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
This is simply a prelude to bigger an better things from Ford, you all watch and see. The 6.2L is a bandaide.
I noticed on the dyno curves, the EB is always putting out more HP and more TQ than the 6.2, right up until about 5,000 rpm, where the 6.2 edges it a little, then falls away. That 6.2 is the last engine I would buy out of the 4 new ones.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:13 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
6.2 is just for those customers who cannot get over it and think outside the box. I think those turbos will do just fine.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
I noticed on the dyno curves, the EB is always putting out more HP and more TQ than the 6.2, right up until about 5,000 rpm, where the 6.2 edges it a little, then falls away. That 6.2 is the last engine I would buy out of the 4 new ones.
Originally Posted by senix
6.2 is just for those customers who cannot get over it and think outside the box. I think those turbos will do just fine.
Fully agreed on both. My question is very simple: Is the 2.0L and 3.5L EB engines are appealing and very capable, when will the line-up be expanded?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User
I drove an Ecoboost last Saturday and was equally impressed. It had a very different feel than any of the "powerful" V8's I've ever driven. Very SMOOTH, quiet and refined. There was no rush of power at any RPM. It accelerated very effortlessly and continued to do so as you pushed the gas more and more. It never gave the feeling that it was working to move the truck. This thing is a winner.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Arctic Fox
Senior User
Why are we knocking the 6.2? Is it because it is a beast with 400+ HP/400+ T and is getting all kinds of great reviews in the 250/350 SD? I guess that warrants slamming it.

Funny how Ford does not offer the Ecoboost in the 250/350 SD.

Guys, they are all great engines at the end of the day....and they all will burn alot of fuel...

Quick Reply: My ecoboost drive experience