Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Deep Transmission Oil Pan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 AM
luny1
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When it's time for a fluid/filter change,I'll be putting my stock pan back on.

The 6.0 cooler solved my heating problems in the summer,but in the winter it's almost too efficient. It takes along time to get all that fluid to warm up.
Around town it rarely will hit 100 degrees.

I've thought about putting something in front of the cooler to stop some air flow.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Now I suspect that there are some here simply rationalizing a purchase they made unnecessarily, using money that would have been wiser-spent on larger air-to-oil coolers.

If only they'd known.....

Pop
NO i dont see it that way pop,my trans temp gauge backs me up,go spend money on what you want,i have no need to spend anymore money too keep my transmission cooler,i dont get over 200 towing my 2 tonne tilt bucket on a HOT day...

Old 03-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by aklim
If Mark while working at Ford used sensors all over and can't find a difference IN THIS APPLICATION, what makes you think that you can without? In the earthmoving business, maybe you have different requirements because of different work conditions so it might make sense.

Kinda like people say "Well, in the last NASCAR race, they did XYZ so if I do the same I might get good results.". Not always.
Fair enough,my sensor tells my trans is cooler and it dont get over 200 now,i'll beleive things that are right in front off me,compared too words on the internet.....

If ya wunna take marks word thats fine,go for it,but he says the bigger pan makes NO DIFFERENCE,well as i said my trans gauge is telling me something different too marks findings,thats all im saying..

Its your money ralph..

I just made a comment too me mate brian,no need too get all huffy..

Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Aren't you assuming that that big 'ol fan on the front of the water pump shaft is doing nothing?

At 25 MPH, it's still sucking air across all of the heat exchangers.

Just doin' its job.....

Pop
You mean the big 'ol fan that is above the trans cooler? Or the same cooler that's directly behind the bumper restricting air flow even more? Aren't you also assuming the fan clutch is locked which means my engine has to be hot enough for it to lock up, which is no way related to my trans temps. Sure are a lot of assumptions...
It wasn't doing its job for me, my trans temps were getting too hot, so I did what I needed to, to keep my temps down. No where have I said everyone should do it my way, all I have said is that it works for me.

I guess it's not welcome here to share experiences that slightly differ from what everyone thinks they should be. If you have experiences, please share them, instead of criticizing what others are doing to keep their numbers in check.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:21 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
Building on the analogy above on how long it takes to heat a certain volume of fluid... You'd have some gain in a steep mountain situation. As you pull the grade you're heating everything up. The more fluid in the system, the longer it will take to get to a certain temp. There's just no denying that. Once you crest the pass, you're cooling down anyway. The point is at THE PASS the max temp on your trans should be lower. That is unless the grade was so long and steep that you got to max temp anyway. In that case there's no benefit.
Yes i understand what ya saying FD,but the standard trans sump gets to its max temp earlier than the bigger sump,hence the smaller sump trans is at max temp longer..

My trans with BD trans sump cools down very quickly once ive stopped climbing,i come back too 170 very quickly,tells me that the fins on the BD sump are doing their job,when im not towing anything my temp never moves over 150..

Anyway besides all the arguing,my transmission man tells me its a good thing...

And NO i didnt buy it from him...

Old 03-06-2011, 03:15 AM
Larry_the_handyman
Senior User
Given everyone's views on transmission pans, do you all believe the same theories apply to differential covers? Do they help or soak up heat from the nearby exhaust pipe?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry_the_handyman
Given everyone's views on transmission pans, do you all believe the same theories apply to differential covers? Do they help or soak up heat from the nearby exhaust pipe?
I suppose if it sits it could pick up some heat but moving you constantly have air running off it so I doubt it. Maybe someone with a thermal probe could tell what it is doing. Should be easier than a transmission.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any manufacturers out there offering a larger, finned coolant reservoir to make the cooling system more efficient?

I wonder why............

Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 AM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by farmb0y
Only concern I have is that an air to oil cooler is only good as long as there is air moving through the cooler. For those of you that tow, and only tow down the highway, a larger pan will probably not make any difference. But for me with the towing I do around the farm, 25mph or less with BIG loads, there isn't much if any air moving across the cooler to keep up with what I need. I have both a 6.0L cooler and a larger pan, and love it. I have yet to have my temps get much over 150* in the conditions I tow.

That's my experience and it works for me. Just sharing.
I have this setup as well, and although the OP installed the trans pan, I am not removing it. I like Adam have some short tough pulls usually in the summer heat and it takes longer to warm up, which works well for a 4 mile 12% grade under load. The larger cooler keeps it cooler from there but the large reserve is nice for short hard pulls.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:48 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by milleroutdoors
I have this setup as well, and although the OP installed the trans pan, I am not removing it. I like Adam have some short tough pulls usually in the summer heat and it takes longer to warm up, which works well for a 4 mile 12% grade under load. The larger cooler keeps it cooler from there but the large reserve is nice for short hard pulls.
But what happens after you get over the hump and it is hotter? It should take longer to cool down. Will your trans parts be stewing in hot fluid for a longer time?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 PM
auden
Junior User
Deep Pan

I have had a deep an for about 5 years now, longer to heat up and longer to cool down. Have done lots of Rv towing and don,t notice much difference but big pan probably won,t hurt any. Can probably extend oil change interval due to increased oil quantity however will take a long time to get price of pan back.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:24 PM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
With the big cooler I have not been higher than 180 and that was backing up a hill with a load. Usual temps pulling the passes here in the summer stay around 140-145, so I guess I have never seen a cooling issue so I can't say what would happen if it got hot. Again, I would not put the money in a over-sized pan but I won't remove it either.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by aklim
But what happens after you get over the hump and it is hotter? It should take longer to cool down. Will your trans parts be stewing in hot fluid for a longer time?

Take a load like that, each bale weighing 1500# or more(total about 24k#), and tugging it through a field at about 5mph. A bigger cooler always helps, but at 5mph there isn't much airflow to cool things down. The larger pan gives me the time to get out of the field and get rolling down the highway. So far trans temps have never been an issue with my setup (6.0L cooler and bigger pan). I'm sure if all I did was drive around in the field all day with a load like that, I could easily overheat my tranny. Then I'd have to be looking for an electric fan or something to stick infront of the cooler, space permitting.

Even pulling an auger down the highway at 25mph, I could watch the trans temps slowly rise with my stock setup. The TC was not locked up, usually the biggest reason for high temps. I have the manul lock-up switch, and at those speeds and ease of towing I would lock it up and watch the temps go down as quickly as they went up. Another great feature I learned from this website, which has probably saved me a few more roasted trannys.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 AM
johnbrown
Junior User
bigger pans

Hi,when my son bought his 95psd we did not think about gauges,but a few
years ago his brother helped him put in a set.thats when saw trans temp. at 240 degrees and added a cooler brought temps down to 180 or less depending what outside temp. was.
On the issue about deeper pans,the only reason i see to put one in is we had to change the adapter between trany and engine and the bump out for oil
pickup made it hard to pull trany as it wanted to lay on its side.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by farmb0y
Take a load like that, each bale weighing 1500# or more(total about 24k#), and tugging it through a field at about 5mph. A bigger cooler always helps, but at 5mph there isn't much airflow to cool things down. The larger pan gives me the time to get out of the field and get rolling down the highway. So far trans temps have never been an issue with my setup (6.0L cooler and bigger pan). I'm sure if all I did was drive around in the field all day with a load like that, I could easily overheat my tranny. Then I'd have to be looking for an electric fan or something to stick infront of the cooler, space permitting.
I have used my pickup to hand load small square bales out of the field, driving at 2.5-3mph (walking speed) with frequent stops and starts for around an hour to pick up an 8 ton payload on a similar trailer. Then less than a mile of road time, followed by some backing uphill to unload. No overheating with just the 6.0 cooler and stock oil pan.

Quick Reply: Deep Transmission Oil Pan?