2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Cold Air Intake Worth it

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by prenticect
Yes... your Honda will help you a lot. I am in the process of increasing our kid count from 2 to 3... thus this expy IS the daily driver for the wifey. And why now I am really looking into ways of tweaking as much as possible.
Ha the kid count I cannot relate to! Recently married last year and without any youngin's...for now!
We replaced my high mileage truck, and now it's time to ditch her Civic for a fully loaded Accord. Wanted her in an Acura, but I cannot justify the luxury at the expense of premium fuel.

Originally Posted by jimmyv13
The tuners are somewhat limited for our '07+ Expeditions. I'd really like Edge to come out with a tuner as I had one in my '04 F150 and really liked it. Since I've had to look elsewhere, the SCT and Superchips programmers seem to be available. I don't know much about either company and I'm kinda hoping Edge gets on the ball. I have a gut feeling that as soon as I buy something, Edge will release their tuner for my vehicle.
Your 07+ Expy is the same underpinings as the 09-10 F150s. Tunes for those F150s will also work with your SUV.
If you like the Edge then I would certainly recommend you contact PHP as they are probably the best at working with Edge products. If SCT is your thing, then 5Star should be your go to.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:14 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MCDavis

Your 07+ Expy is the same underpinings as the 09-10 F150s. Tunes for those F150s will also work with your SUV.
Not according to Edge. They told me they have nothing available for the 07+ Expedition. I am a member of the PHP forums and keep up with Bill hoping he can get the Edge Insight to work my my Expy. He said it's in the works, but it has been for quite some time now. He did the work on my Evolution for my F150 and it was phenomenal. Since my trailer is coming soon, I'll need to make a decision before summer...SCT may be the way I go. It seems like SCT has more Ford support than superchips. Thanks for the tip with going with 5Star. I've never used or even seen an SCT product, so I have no idea what to expect.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:19 AM
prenticect
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimmyv13... if you do find an answer to your questions I would love to know what you find out

Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
Not according to Edge. They told me they have nothing available for the 07+ Expedition. I am a member of the PHP forums and keep up with Bill hoping he can get the Edge Insight to work my my Expy. He said it's in the works, but it has been for quite some time now. He did the work on my Evolution for my F150 and it was phenomenal. Since my trailer is coming soon, I'll need to make a decision before summer...SCT may be the way I go. It seems like SCT has more Ford support than superchips. Thanks for the tip with going with 5Star. I've never used or even seen an SCT product, so I have no idea what to expect.
Well I stand corrected. That was my impression and understanding from the beginning. Sorry for the poor information.
Mike Butler is a good guy. I've chatted with him briefly via PM here and I should be making the plunge on a SCT hopefully by summer. He's very responsive.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:56 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Believe me, I thought the same thing. How can the F150 have the same engine/tranny combo and the programmers not work? The Edge tech said they are very very similar, but not identical...nice move Ford, for whatever reason.

That's good to hear, maybe I jump ship and move to SCT. It's a bit more money and I'm used to the UI with the Edge products, so it will take a bit to get used to it.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 AM
prenticect
Freshman User
To be fair... I am sure the Expy and F150 are different.. .simply because they are different vehicles in weight and intended use. So I am sure they have different timings and shifting patterns within the computer. So I bet you could use the F150 tuner on an Expy but the results would be slightly different and possibly not be what you want.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Here's Mike's username if you care to contact him via private message:
fordmdb

Personally I'm planning on the SCT because it's not a dash mount. The last thing I want is another "eye catcher" to a would-be thief to break a window.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Good point about the dash mount. One thing I liked about the Edge was having the gauges in plain view to monitor tranny temps when towing my snowmobile trailer. The pod was not permanently mounted, so I could unplug and hide it in the center console when necessary.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by prenticect
Thanks all.. Honestly the only thing I want is MPG.. Do not care about the noise, HP or anything else... just more MPG.. The tuner I was trying to avoid because of warranty issues.. so maybe after it runs out I might think about it.

I forgot that it does make the engine louder... that honestly might be an issue as the wifey drives the expy the most and she might not like it...

So really the tuner might be the better option for what I am looking for.
If you do an online search for “air filter test” there is a lot of very good information. IMHO, the CAI units are NOT WORTH THE $$! Unless you are talking about a system that was specifically designed for a specific application there are very little hp/tq gains actually achieved in a street use vehicle and there are very few docs that these mfg’s can produce that actually show an increase in hp/tq in the power-band range of a relatively stock street vehicle.

I would avoid oil impregnated filters. While they have their purpose in off-road applications, Ford/GM/Dodge all have “watch-out” bulletins where the oil has contaminated intake sensors. - they even have a training video for the tech's on this (flatratetech.com) .

If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, for a fraction of the price! The OE’s have an excellent air intake system. What many view as an issue (is the plastic intake tube with it’s noise canceling design) actually increases air pressure. It is the same hydraulic concept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By having the air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increased proportionally. Fire fighters use what is called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water is cycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing the water flow at a 90 degree angle. In this case it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most “feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that is needed. You can use a WIX OEM HP replacement filter in the OEM plastic manifold box and either remove the plastic tube and replace it with a piece of pipe/hose, etc or remove the tube completely and replace the tube by building an air ram type intake into the air box manifold (where the pipe use to attach)- make sure ti terminates above the fan shroud to avoid water intake or fan induced pulsations.

With regards to increased flow, an oem replacement panel style unit will flow up to 500 cfm, the cone shape will flow up to 900+ cfm.....but, a stock oem 5.4 can only suck in 480 cfm max! so any extra you saw was a result of a previous filter that, well, was probably dirty or had just a bit more restriction (meaning better filtering).

Old 03-13-2011, 12:30 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
That good info Beechkid. I'm doing a few maintenance items before I tow a 6200lb trailer to FL....oil change, air and fuel filter. I've got everything except for the air filter as I'm kinda in limbo on what to do with the replacement. I ran the K&N drop in for my '04 F150, everything seemed OK with it. I also pulled the intake and did the 3" PVC mod to open up the air source from the fenderwell. I'm not sure if I'll go that far with the Expy as the wife drives it, but a filter is necessary.

On a side note....I went with Mike at 5 Star Tuning for the SCT X3. There's a noticeable difference in giddy-up with the 87 perf/tow tune. I still would like to see the tranny temps for towing, but I guess I'll have to live with it and trust that it's fine.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Just plugs into the CAN Buss:

-- Chuck

Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Not a bad solution, thanks!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This one is not as cool looking, but allot cheaper.

ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool

Old 03-31-2011, 11:35 AM
07EXPYEL
Senior User
I looked at the CAI years ago, but my engine montitor showed the IAT within 1°F of the AAT or outside air temperature at speeds above 15 mph or so.
IAT=Intake Air Temperature
AAT=Ambient Air Temperature

Old 03-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
What I also see as "creative dyno tuning" by many of the "tuners" demonstrating the effectiveness of a CAI is this....

1. The vehiclee performance is being measured without the ability to measure actual air flow while the vehicle is in motion (an item that the oem's use wind tunnel testing for)

2. Take the exact same vehicle, put it on 3 different dynos and each one will measure the HP/TQ differently....even the dyno mfg's state there will typically be a 5% varience amoungst dyno's.........given the performance increase numbers these "tuners" are claiming with just the add of a CAI, well, IMHO, there are full of "puff"- temp changes as much as 10 degrees will drop or increase HP by 1.....throw in a host of other variables, well, you all get the picture.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Worth it