2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooked up booster cables wrong. idiot, wreck anything?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:30 AM
rvx290
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooked up booster cables wrong. idiot, wreck anything?

-38 Morning, in a hurry, careless rookie mistake...
I went to boost my truck that wouldnt crank over and STUPIDLY hooked up the positive to negative on the battery I was boosting, 'snap' sparks fly when I touched the cable to the last post on the truck. Now I dont know if I blew a fuse or wrecked anything but it still wont start, just 'clicks' because its doing the exact same thing that it was doing before I hooked the cables up to it to try to boost it. ...I can hear the fuel pump, the lights come on and the other electronics seem to be working like they are supposed to, just wondering if simply touching the cable to the wrong post blew a fuse & if so which fuse would go.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I've never had any luck jumping my 06 with cables.I've always had to put my battery on a charger.Don't know why but it wouldn't start when I tried to boost it.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 PM
rvx290
Junior User
I just went out and put the charger on it. It shows "lo" on the charger, so I am crossing my fingers that something just drained the battery,

...I also tried to boost it with my wifes fusion and I could hear the fusion idle down when I hooked it up, so it was definately low but it seems odd that the truck wouldnt even crank over just 'click'
.. really hope I didnt screw something touching the positive cable to the negative post. will find out after I let the battery charge for the day and the temp warms up a bit.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Fox Fader
Senior User
Possibly the main fusible link has blown.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:08 PM
n5926g
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fox Fader
Thats what Im figuring

Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 PM
rvx290
Junior User
Originally Posted by Fox Fader

Where would I find this one and if its blown would it be visible?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Did you get the battery charged and try to start the truck yet?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:16 PM
rvx290
Junior User
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Did you get the battery charged and try to start the truck yet?

Still not working.
I got the battery charged, block heater plugged in all day ...went to start and.... CLICK is all I am hearing, (other than ALL other electronics ARE working properly like they are supposed to)

I pulled half a dozen fuses that I thought might be blown but either I am pulling the wrong fuses or didnt find the right one yet. Is the main fusible link the long one coming from the battery? If so, how will I know if a fusible link is fried, will it be physically burnt or discolored etc?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:46 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may have killed the battery. Remove it and have it tested.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:47 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It’s my understanding that the F150 has three fusible links, and all of them have to do with the charging system, so once you do get it started that may be something to look into if it’s not charging. When fusible links go it’s not generally visible, unless it burns the heck out of the insulation in the process. But at this point I wouldn’t be concerned with them. Nothing but wire between the starter and battery, and just the fusses in the fuse box for the rest. At this point, I’d seriously start looking at the starter if you know you have enough power.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Fox Fader
Senior User
I havent fiddled around under the hood here much, but there should be a power distribution box under the hood. It will be in there. Looking down through the clear top, you will see it burned through. May not be the main that's out.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM
rvx290
Junior User
Wow am I an idiot. here is a perfect example of Keep It Simple Stupid! I regret (although relieved that I didnt fry anything) to inform that I had a loose negative connection. I always (or so I thought) keep a tight connection to my battery posts, apparently not. Thanks to those who gave me the ideas about fusible links etc, I learned alot about them today anyway! What I learned today is even if its -37 outside and your late for an appointment, slow down pay attention to where your clamping your jumper cables, it just added to my complication of figuring out what my problem was.
.....on another note does anyone think there will be any problem down the road with the fact that I touched the jumper cable to the wrong post and sent sparks flying? Everything seems fine as of right now, hope I didnt shorten the life of my new battery, I am a little concerned why my battery charger showed 'Lo' when I hooked it up could have been due to cold weather? It always cranks over without complaint.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Fox Fader
Senior User
Glad you solved it.
KISS

Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 AM
JoSHN
Senior User
Originally Posted by rvx290
I am a little concerned why my battery charger showed 'Lo' when I hooked it up could have been due to cold weather? It always cranks over without complaint.

If you tried to crank the engine over in that temperature unplugged, The drain of trying to move that sludge you have for oil will instantly use just about every cranking amp out of your battery. Batteries do not like the cold, Engines don't like it that cold, and I certainly hate it every time it gets that cold.

I have had to charge mine when I left it unplugged one winter. The first slow crank killed it. And if you say you had a loose connection, was this after you hooked the battery charger up? That will show up on a charger as well.

As for hooking the cables up wrong, I have a rookie mistake like that as well. Although, I was 17 at the time. I jumped my 79 Jimmy off of an 04 TJ. I hooked the cables up wrong, and noticed smoke coming off of one of my wires under the hood. Burned the insulation and rubber right off.

A new wire later and both cars were working just fine. No battery or alternator issue.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
if it just flashed with sparks and you removed it right away, you probably didnt wreck anything. I wouldnt be worried.
But I do bet that you will have to replace your battery very soon.
When the battery is that low in cold weather, and doesnt start with boosting. Was there corrision built up with the loose connection?

Quick Reply: Hooked up booster cables wrong. idiot, wreck anything?