1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on diff lockers

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
kawkx500
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Opinions on diff lockers

Because of my decision to invest in larger tires and my truck being an automatic with 3.73s in it .. going to have to invest in new ring and pinion gears. Already decided to go with the 4.30s but since it will already be apart I might as well lock em up. I plan on putting lockers in both ends of the truck. Basically as far as I can tell there are 4 kinds of lockers ... electric, air, the self engaging ratchet type, and full time ( which I absolutely DO NOT want ). I would like to get some opinions on the other 3 options to help me decide which would be the best way to go as far as strength, reliability, and cost.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 PM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all...
Lockers = Good
LoL

Second of all...
"full time" locker, as you mentioned it, is not actually a locker by classification. what you're talking about is a spool. Spool = Bad
LoL

Third of all...
many are about to chime in steering you away from a locker to a limited slip. Just so everybody is on the same page, limited slip (posi) DOES NOT EQUAL locker.

Now with all that preface, when you said:
me decide which would be the best way to go as far as strength, reliability, and cost
The first thing that comes to mind is the Detroit Locker, aka No-Spin. This locker is proven, simple, and reliable. It also has the highest probability of some quirkiness on the street as it unlocks and locks. A lot of the street manners are amplified or attenuated based on driving style and, yes, even your transmission.

When you're on the gas, the unit locks. When you're off the gas, it unlocks. Sudden applications of power can make it a little clunky, so a manual transmission may amplify its tendency to pop around corners because the clutch generally takes power away and adds power in a much more direct way than an auto. The auto seems keeps power in the pinion shaft of the differential more constantly and can mask some of the locker's silly street habits. In the dirt, bar none, the Detroit Locker is stone reliable and offers real traction benefits without you doing more than putting your foot down.

The manually selectable lockers which use air or 12v to actuate are a different breed. Obviously, around town you'll be running them unlocked which lets them operate in standard, open differential mode. One wheel peel. One tire fire. Peg leg. etc etc

But you also get a vehicle that drives and corners without that bangin' and a popin' which the automatic lockers sometimes do in tight quarters. But when you flip that witch or push that button, you essentially have a full spool to give you traction, the same as the Detroit when you on the gas. The only downside to the selectable locker is it's cost and complexity of added compressors or wires.

Neither will let a tire ever stop spinning, even if you've ripped the tire and wheel completely off and you're scraping rocks with the brake rotor, the locker will always pull for you.

NOW, if you're driving a Super Duty, which I assume since you're on this forum, you have a Ford Sterling 10.5" rear axle that has very few lockers available for it. You're choices are either the Detroit Locker or the ARB Air Locker.

The front Dana 60 has many options available, including the Eaton E-Locker electric locking differential. Same principle as the ARB just different actuation.

If it were me, I'd do the E-Locker up front no question. There's only a handful of times when you need the extra traction, but when you do... you really do.

As for the rear, it's kind of a flip a coin. ARB or Detroit. Do you want to spend the extra cash and mess with the hassle of mounting air lines and a compressor? But do you want to have to worry about the clunking of the Detroit on the street?

Tell me more about what you want to do with your truck...

Old 02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
kawkx500
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
seminaryranger .. thats EXACTLY what I was thinking .. i just wanted to see if anyone else had the same idea first before I told what i was thinking. Oh and about the dana 60 .. i think my truck has a dana 50 in the front, but i should still be able to get the same type of locker for it as well.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:33 PM
BACKWOODS99
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im a fan of ox lockers. you dont have to deal with electronics, air lines and all that b.s. its a selecable locker that you enguage but pulling a lever that pulls a cable and enguages the locker. so iether ur locked up for wheeling or open for daily driving or turning when ur out tearin it up lol

Old 02-24-2011, 04:04 PM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I should have mentioned the OX Locker.

This might be hear-say. But this is the internet and you have the right to take everything you read with about 10 grains of salt so...

there's been some talk of the OX Locker having a few issues with cable adjustment. Since the unit is marketed as being simpler than wires or air lines in function, I thought I'd throw out there the rumor that the cable can be kind of finicky and the unit may have difficulty in locking/unlocking. Everything else on the ox looks bullet proof.

Now, I'm not dissing the OX. The wires on the E-Locker could get broken or short out; the air lines on the ARB could leak or the compressor might fail. All of this could potentially lead to a locker that wouldn't function when you need it to.

Personally, I'd rather deal with a broken wire. But that's just me. If I was out in the middle of nowhere and a stick ripped the wire to my locker, I probably could get it fixed a little easier with by twisting some wires and a few wraps of electrical tape. I think a leaky air line might be more difficult to fix but I have seen some cool tricks that involve cutting out the damaged portion of airline and splicing it back together with a section of a BIC ink pen.

If I were building a truck to take me to some very remote places without a lot of civilization along the way, I'd do a Detroit in the back because as long as there's oil in the diff and the ring and pinion can rotate, it'll probably function normally.

Like I said, if this is a dual-purpose truck that ever carries groceries or family, I'd lean a little more towards a selectable rear locker to compliment a selectable front locker. In the spirit of simplicity, this might open the door to ARB air lockers front and rear. Since that's the only option for the rear and you'd need a compressor and small tank to operate the rear locker, the front could be plumbed with minimal extra "stuff." You'd just have to swallow a $2500 pill but you'd have premium stuff and a dang-capable truck.

I'm just dreaming out loud with you.
Because I'd like to do the same with my '09 too
LoL

Old 02-24-2011, 04:13 PM
BACKWOODS99
Freshman User
awsome input. no matter what kind of locker you choose there is gonna be a few pro's and con's to it. so it really all comes down to the amount of time you spend in 4wd and the amount of money your willing to spend. i personally would choose between ARB, OX and Detroit

Old 02-24-2011, 05:20 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Good thread fellas. I will be adding lockers eventually to my 08 drw and the info/suggestions here are great

Old 02-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Anomic
Senior User
How much more capability do you get with a locker vs a good tru-track?

Also i have never driven with a front locker, my front end binds/bucks even only turning 50% to stop alot of tight places i have to use clutch and coast turn or pop in 2wd. This is in snow/mud/grass meadow. Wouldnt locker make this even worse? Im planning on doing rear only that means 3/4 wheels turning should be pretty good

Old 02-24-2011, 06:18 PM
porsche
New User
Well as far as benefit goes, a full locker really beats a limited slip. I live on a hill with a long slope to the driveway. We get a lot of snow so in winter the driveway is always slick. I have lived here ten years with several trucks. My recent F350 V10 had a limited slip rear but still needed four wheel drive to get out on slippery days. My new F 350 6.2 with rear electric locker has always got out in just two wheel drive. I am really impressed but when it does lose traction it slides sideways more so that is sometimes a factor. Have not used four wheel drive just to get out yet....

Old 02-24-2011, 06:27 PM
twall_SD250
Senior User
hey seminaryranger i know you guys are talking lockers but i have a question about rear gears..... do you know what it cost to re-gear the rear of a super duty from 3.73 to 4.10 gears. no lockers just a re-gear
thanks
tim

Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Detroit in the back and lockright in the front . When you really need to be there..
My opinion is if you do any work offroad or use your truck for pulling, farm work, plowing etc get a detroit you will be glad you did. Can hardly tell its back there..Lock right, up front works just fine. I can cruise anywhere in 4wd and the truck handles great.
Locked up since 1996 and wouldn't do it any other way. Had my share of useless LS'S

Dick

Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by seminaryranger
Since that's the only option for the rear and you'd need a compressor and small tank to operate the rear locker, the front could be plumbed with minimal extra "stuff." You'd just have to swallow a $2500 pill but you'd have premium stuff and a dang-capable truck.
Is that about what the whole setup runs then? Pricey, but I think here in a couple years thats what I am leaning towards. LS does nothing for me - I mean litteraly, I can easily sit here and spin one rear, even apply brakes to the point of killing the motor and still one wheel peel. No I havent drained the factory fluid out and replaced with less (or no) LS modifier, thats on my to do list.

I go to some pretty rugged areas on the farms, getting firewood, hunting, etc. And this truck needs help! Thing is its my dd put a lot of miles on it on the highway and in town and around here the biggest problem in the winter is ICE. Any locker has to be selectable, and I want to do both F/R and I want onboard air anyhow so I think ARB its going to be. I just need more economic stimulus first...

Old 02-25-2011, 12:33 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My opinion: For a street driven truck, ONLY selectable lockers in the front. These trucks are heavy and powerful. When the front diff is locked, the loads in the drivetrain and steering system are immense. Use (and appreciate!) it when you need it, but leave it disengaged when you don't!

For the rear, more your use and personal preference. Detroits and Lock Rites are simple and effective, but they are noisy, quirky, and will increase rear tire wear on the street. They can also be problematic on slippery (icy, muddy) and off camber side slopes. Since both tires will break traction at the same time, the rear of the truck will instantly start sliding down hill (sideways, and into that tree!) with no warning. If you have a selectable, you can leave it open in those situations so only one tire spins, allowing the other to prevent sideways sliding.

My preferance is for ME to be in control of when it locks.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
As far as electric, pneumatic, or cable selected lockers, I agree with what others said. ARB, E-Lockers, and OX are all proven tough, capable, and equally reliable.

It really boils down to which actuation method are YOU more comfortable fixing on the trail? Wires, compressor and air lines, or cables and linkages?

Old 02-25-2011, 01:03 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
how bout this what are you going to be doing with your SD? i know if your towing you dont want a detroit locker it will chirp clunk bang around corners towing and wear out tires. Also the detroit true tract is a very nice LS/locker. i personally would go ARB or the new e-locker. open on the street when you dont need them and full lock when you do. when i get the money soon im installing a rear ARB locker.

Quick Reply: Opinions on diff lockers