1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

4.6 into a 86

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:34 PM
scappoosefordman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i found one install. it was on a 48 i think. i may just step the section of my frame thats above the rear end inwards on both sides to narrow it then do the same as he did. it looks pretty easy to do. either way im gonna have to rework the rear of my frame because of the spring buckets.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Choose the rear assembly carefully. At least one Lincoln axel has rear disc brakes with parking brake.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:07 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow what a terrible idea.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by cadunkle
Wow what a terrible idea.

Stuff it pal. If you want to comment, feel free. But your negative opinion with no supporting information is jut foolish. This may not be the way you would build your truck but that does not matter. It is a nice idea for building a truck for others who use their trucks differently and have different needs and preferences. The guy is not trying to build a rock crawler. That does not make it a terrible idea.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:50 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
It's just terrible no matter which way you slice it. I mean, I thought the whole 4.6 thing was silly, considering a 460 is cheaper, easier and more power... But this IRS thing takes the cake. To each his own, but I reserve the right to laugh.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:03 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just terrible no matter which way you slice it. I mean, I thought the whole 4.6 thing was silly, considering a 460 is cheaper, easier and more power... But this IRS thing takes the cake. To each his own, but I reserve the right to laugh.
Some people use their trucks as trucks. Some people build hot rods out of them. If it was me, I'd probably big block swap it, but it's his truck. Just because he's got a different idea or vision doesn't make it silly. The only thing silly about it is if there are no build pics associated with it...

Old 04-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Wink

So the guy is more sophisticated than you are. Do you know the comparitive weights of those motors? Maybe he likes a road racer style(?)
No matter what kind of truck you have, there will be some moron out there scoffing at it because people are different. It is not a question of who has better taste, it's each to his own. I have been following this thread because it is dealing with something out of the ordinary. That, as opposed to just another cookie cutter build.

BTW, he is still in the contemplation and planning stage. I'm guessing that build pics will come.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:54 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
I'm with you....the guys out on the edges help relieve the constant repetition of the of the routine on here. I'm always willing to learn from the guys trying new things.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:36 AM
scappoosefordman
Senior User
Thanx to all of you guys who are supporting the idea. I have just aquired the donar car so as soon as a have a little time im gonna get started (the motor will be first) and i will be sure to post detailed pics of the build.

To those of you who dont seem to think it is a good idea and seem to think they need to repeat it multiple times. i already have my big 4x4 work truck that happens to have a 460 in it. It happens to be a 1970 f250 4x4. so far i have no money into this truck so that is why im doin the 4.6 swap (i got the car for doing some work on a friends roll deck, and the truck i got out of trade for a 302) plus it is a half ton that is lowered about 4 inches so it wouldnt really make a good work truck. You can go ahead and put you h.o. motor or big block in your truck and be happy with haveing what everyone else does. me im gonna use my mod motor and relish in the look on peoples faces when they realize that a 19 year old kid had the motovation to build something that most people would never even waiste time on considering.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:16 AM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by scappoosefordman
Thanx to all of you guys who are supporting the idea. I have just aquired the donar car so as soon as a have a little time im gonna get started (the motor will be first) and i will be sure to post detailed pics of the build.

To those of you who dont seem to think it is a good idea and seem to think they need to repeat it multiple times. i already have my big 4x4 work truck that happens to have a 460 in it. It happens to be a 1970 f250 4x4. so far i have no money into this truck so that is why im doin the 4.6 swap (i got the car for doing some work on a friends roll deck, and the truck i got out of trade for a 302) plus it is a half ton that is lowered about 4 inches so it wouldnt really make a good work truck. You can go ahead and put you h.o. motor or big block in your truck and be happy with haveing what everyone else does. me im gonna use my mod motor and relish in the look on peoples faces when they realize that a 19 year old kid had the motovation to build something that most people would never even waiste time on considering.
Keep at it man, it's gonna be sweet.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 AM
scappoosefordman
Senior User
Another thing if i might add. this whole hobby was founded on people going on the oustide of the box to the ragged edges of the unknown and doing things. If you think about it that is how the automobile was actually born. If people like Vick Edelbrock for example didnt divert from the norm and do things there own way then performance and aftermarket products may have never come to exhist. Another good one would be if someone never took a blower off one of those big ol detoits and bolted it onto a gas engine (experimentation) then it may have never been done. Ill bet people laughed at him to and said he was stupid for doin it but god id love to see the looks on there faces now.

Haha. ok im done now. ill be sure and post pics as soon as i get started on the truck from pullin the 302/aod out to the point when the 4.6 is purrin like a kitten between the rails. after which ill do the same for the rear. prolly be atleast a month between the two to shake any bugs out of the motor swap.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 PM
crestfallinman
Elder User

i cant wait to see the outcome of this, i have the dream of swapping a 5.4 into my truck, but i dont have the know how, time or funds to support it

so good luck!

Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 AM
lamar804
Senior User
This is a great thread!!! I love it when people think outside the box. Good luck, I can't wait to see it!

Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM
ozark1
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We did one of these motors in a Cobra Replica..and my friend Mike Adams..Adams Rod Shop...did one in a 32 Highboy..IT IS A MONUMENTAL TASK..There are 62 pickups on the engine and harness. If ONE is not right..it will not run.. Mike got a friend to contact FORD..and we got a modified print, and we were able to get them running. Also..the 4.6 is wider that a 427 side-oiler...and the transmission is just as finicky. Reading the original post..and especially the part that the poster was 19...gave me visions of a long ago 392 HEMI swap into a '46 FORD...BIG ideas...little money..and less knowledge than we needed to do it right...A 460 would be a walk in the park !!!!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 05:47 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Keep at it. What year is the donor?? There were some years that had a 302 bellhousing bolt pattern and used the AOD trans not the AODE. (91-92 maybe?)

Quick Reply: 4.6 into a 86