Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Proper timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:18 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper timing

Fellas, today is the day hahaha, finally. Going to get my truck timed proper. Heading to Wilson and Proctor, 94 out the door but it will be worth it in the long run. My mileage is still great and a fillup gets me almost four full days, used to get me 2.5! So still kickin. But i cant wait to see how close my idi ear is, probably way the hell off hehehe

Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Fellas,
Being that i am turboing this weekend, hopefully, do you think that the 8.5BTDC is a good one considering fuel will be increased? I am probably going to crank the fuel with the turbo in so turbo'ers, 8.5, 8? Id like to do this once!! Really wishing i had a MT480 or similar. Would make my life easier! haha

Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Whew, well that was all too easy, damn i need one of those timing adaptors. 94.50 total out the door. Set up my timing and are you ready for it, i was 2 degrees off and that is with two ear adjustments. So in the future, i wont pay the money. Odd factoid though, his timing tool said that ford idi turbo engines should be set at 3.5 +/- 2deg. Seems odd. Now for my fear to which i couldnt find, is this tool set differently or are they all the same? Am i far advanced over the 8.5 i requested? Damn i hate guessing. For anyone pondering this who isnt comfortable tweaking on an ip, id say go do it. If you are good with your ear and have a new pump, your adjustments will be 2 deg per line width. Thats what mine are anyway. We set it all around each time and then back to the one more line width and they were all 2 deg apart. Just a thought. But alas, i digress, im not that impressed. Ah well. guess i was close enough to see the power i would gain. if i was way friggin off i would have seen a better result i am sure.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:34 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2* per line width or 4* per dime thickness........

>>>>>>>>>ford idi turbo engines should be set at 3.5 +/- 2deg.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Maybe the PSD but not IDI turbo........

Diesel Don's info

If you have the original emission label on your valve covers, they gave the max pump fuel flow rate in mm3 at rated HP.

As I recall 6.9 was about 48mm3 sea level and 44mm3 for high altitude pump
7.3NA was about 54mm3 and 49mm3 for high altitude
7.3 IDI Turbo - 58 mm3 ( this is out of the Ford book )

Optimum timing: 6.9IDI ( Ford method ): .5-1.5 degrees ATDC
6.9IDI ( Navistar method ): 6-7 degrees BTDC
7.3 NA: 8-9 degree BTDC*
7.3 IDI Turbo: 8-9 degrees BTDC*

Anything above these, the engine get's pretty noisey.

* helps engine starting. Original timing was 5-6 BTDC and engine cranked a long time ( at least in comparison to 6.9 ) before starting.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
what kind of meter and method was used to time the engine wreck?
he must of used a luminosity meter and set it ATDC.that's why you don't see a larger number like 8.5 -9.5 BTDC.
you must have good fuel up north.my timing seems perfect at 6 ATDC.
2.5 degree's more advanced, made a BIG difference to my engine.

you can't trust those marks a whole lot either.i barley "bumped" mine and tighten down the bolts and it changed it a whole degree!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 PM
whenry912
Senior User
Same here Wreck, when I got my Ferret adapter, I was at 6btdc, moved it to 8... was hoping for a huge WOW gain, just got a bit, oh well was good for the peace of mind factor, I would have always been wondering...

Old 02-17-2011, 05:43 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by whenry912
Same here Wreck, when I got my Ferret adapter, I was at 6btdc, moved it to 8... was hoping for a huge WOW gain, just got a bit, oh well was good for the peace of mind factor, I would have always been wondering...
im surprised you didn't feel a big change.
2.5 degree's more advance "freed" my truck right up.like its lot more free flowing down the road if you will.also more grunt off the line.
ever since i had my custom exhaust built it seemed to kinda load up before exhaling a little when i talked to her pre-hill.doesn't do this at all now.just pure zooooom.

wreck,
another thing i noticed,is that when i didn't go by the elevation/cetane chart and just tried coping what others claimed worked good for them,i didn't notice any loss of power when i retarded it back a couple degree's.
so if you had it 2 degree's advanced,and he set it on the $ for ya,by retarding it,this would explain why you didn't feel anything.
however fuel economy and your engine/glow plugs will be happy if this is what happened.
if you were retarded 2 degree's,id be surprised you didn't feel the 2 degree's more advance though.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM
whenry912
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
im surprised you didn't feel a big change.
2.5 degree's more advance "freed" my truck right up.like its lot more free flowing down the road if you will.also more grunt off the line.
ever since i had my custom exhaust built it seemed to kinda load up before exhaling a little.doesn't do this at all now.just pure zooooom.
Hmm, that is how it feels with my new IP, same timing

Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
yeah i just saw your other thread now.
i guess 2 degree's advance wouldn't do a while lot for a tired ip.so that probably explains that.sounds like your in nice shape now.
if them dang bolts were easy to get too,id tell ya to retard that new ip by 2 degrees,since you have a meter and i bet you'd see it then(not to keep t there of course! lol,just as a test to see how much 2-3 degrees really makes with a healthy ip.)that's the worse part of the whole job.i see and understand how to rig up a custom wrench to make that easy next time though.im going to retest it once it's well known,we're switched over to summer blend/#2 again.it's NICE having the meter hey.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
The timing tool was a Kent-Moore J33300 tach-n-time. It wasn't luminosity, it was the pulse sensor with crank sensor. Honestly I'm not 100% happy with how the truck sounds. Maybe that's because I got used to it being retarded and quieter. I will say that it throws more black smoke though.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

wreckin ball .... Congrats to you!!!!! i will be on the same page as you shortly as far as new GP, Injectors, IP... mine is all orignal.... Should i replace the GP and INjectors return caps and lines, then install a new IP as im going to be getting that in about a month or do it ALL together? i have never been there done that so for starters what size socket and Drive do i need for the Glow plugs and injectors? and what size wrench to loosein the flare nuts on IP and Injectors?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
that meter can be used either way.did you watch him time it? did he remove a glow plug and place a little gp looking like thing in its place with a small crystal window?
or did he place a pulse line on the injector line?
what cylinder did he use?
if he timed your truck with the pulse adapter and set the meter to read 3.5 degree's BTDC then your engine would....holy crap i don't even know what retarded timing so extreme like that would sound like.but im sure the engine would feel like mush!
you need to go back and tell him to set it at 8.5 BTDC.some guys claim 9 and even some claim another half advanced is good.
personally,if your running standard fuel,and not high cetane stuff.then stick to 8.5
either way,3.5 BTDC is wrong,wrong,wrong lol.
so,if you were 2 degree's off advanced according to him and you had more rattle,then you were still retarded @ 5.5 BTDC and still BAD lol.
had he advanced you 2 more degree's from 6.5 to 8.5 you would have felt that and would be here telling us how bad you were by ear.
you need to head back and ask for at least 8.5 BTDC.
you will now be going from 3.5 to 8.5,so be prepared for a LOT more engine rattle! and a LOT more power!
if you saw him use a lumy probe,then did he measure your fuel? if not,forget him or tell him to use the pulse adapter.

p.s
imho,the engine should never smoke black.this is de-tuned rather than properly tuned.
my engine has some nuts with all my mods combined now,and 0% smoke.
enough so,id like to have her dynoed to see if i couldn't best the top N/A recorded on OBN of 143.9 hp/261.3 trq.i dunno if it would or not,but i must say,i wouldn't be surprised in the least.

"Maybe that's because I got used to it being retarded and quieter."
the engine or exhaust? this is throwing me off actually.you say you have more engine rattle? if so,then he must have used the lumy probe and set your engine @ 3.5 ATDC from 5.5 ATDC if this is the case.elevation,and cetane rating,could have been right or too advanced to start with.there is NO "one setting fits all" timing setting when it comes to using the lumy method.i learned this real fast. im going to test all my glow plugs now as a result lol.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
awesome information but he didnt use the lumy method, he pulsed off of the number one injector line. After he sanded off my new ceramic! aahh haha. He set me at 8.5 BTDC so i really guess i need ot just give it time to soak in on me. I did watch and he showed me the whole time. I took some pics and vids so once i get the time i will upload. I do have a crap *** ton more power though now that i have run it through its paces. lol. Only problem is yeah the black smoke but i think it will be fine as it isnt getting too hot, egt wise. Once the turbo goes on i dont think it will be of any consequence.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
oh man wreck lol make up my mind.
well if he did set ya at 8.5 BTDC then your good.
i know how ya feel about the extra engine noise.
im finally going on a long haul tomorrow with her.
im not crazy about the extra rattle either.the only part i don't like about this.it's been all year being used to much quieter in the cab.
i guess we'll get used to it.
it's motivated me to start looking for one of those thick factory firewall sound damping mats like i saw in a pic of snapons truck.
she's gunna need it.many hours on the road tomorrow.rarely all interstate too though.so i guess we'll just turn up the radios wreck lol.hey,good thing you just got a new one.you'll be using it a lot lol.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:46 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm gonna need to do all this once I replace my IP. I'll probably just take it to a shop (or XLT) to have it timed 'cause time(no pun intended) seems to be tight nowadays. I really wish I had more time to play around with those kinda things but life gets busy, anyway.

On the sound mat thing, Oreo has one too, and for me - it didn't sound any different once I got it off the firewall. I did switch from n/a to turbo so I understand that the sound changed a little. But if you plan on turbo'ing soon, it's really nice to hear the turbo winding up upon acceleration anyway. The turbo isn't loud at all - just sounds like music to my ears.

Quick Reply: Proper timing