General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

whats the coolest project you have built? ( not car related)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:36 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man great work everyone!! now i have a few ideas of my own lol

Old 02-14-2011, 01:43 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Originally Posted by lariat97
He had ruined 400 ft of mold trying to do it himself.
I think I might have only ruined 50 feet. Then I got help.

I started out fixing my wife's ambitious half bath project. We had cedar paneling (if you could call it that) in our townhouse in the half bath, and spare bedroom. She didn't like it, and started ripping it down. I get home, took one look and shook my head. Now, I had to learn how to plumb, wallpaper, and do finish carpentry. In a hurry too, as she was planning a party shortly afterwards.

Ripped out the vanity, toilet, pulled up the floor and put in some laminate. Put in a pedestal sink. Toilet froze to the ground outside, almost broke it.

So I got to clean all the glue off the walls in prep for my mother in law to hang some wallpaper. I hate that stuff. Then I installed some wainscotting. Painted burgundy and white. Then, the crown. That was where I learned how to do crown. I did it twice.

After that, the upstairs was relatively easy. Wife ripped the cedar off the wall in the spare bedroom about a year later, and I just left it that way. She wanted to redo the other room up for a baby. 5 years early at any rate, but what the hell. Wainscotting and chair rail in that room, white. Painted the rest of the wall Disney Winnie the Pooh yellow. Wire closet shelves. Crowned that room too.

And the upstairs hallway.

And the downstairs hallway.

Refloored the main floor, all new door surround moldings, with rosettes (I guess you call them?) for corners and plinth blocks.

I learned quite a bit about finish carpentry in that house. Still got a lot to learn, but it's not my bread and butter. Maybe when I finish my basement...

And, those pictures you guys posted look great. Awesome job doodz.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I repaired a crown mold job for a guy I have been working for since he bought a house I trimmed. I moved so he had a so called carpenter put crown in the last 2 rooms he needed it in his house. I don't know who this carpenter was but he cut his corner cuts with the crown laying flat on a 45 degree. He ran the other piece to the wall. He had a over 1 inch of caulk at each joint. His runs were way off from where the crown should bed & no 2 walls were the same. The flat ceiling was bad but you should have seen the bath with 8/12 pitch ceilings. He bought corner blocks & used them on his outside corners cause he didn't know how to miter the crown around a corner. This homeowner has taken a plain 3000 sq ft house & decked it out over the last 6 yrs.He was sick when he came home & found the crown this guy put in. I pulled it down & used what I could. I added crown to every room. Built ins in the master closets. Extra cabinets to finish the kitchen right where the cheap builder used about half what the walls could carry. I put roll out shelves in his base cabinets. The builder wanted almost 50k to do the stuff I did. I did it for 10k & made good money doing it. The homeowner bought the materials but I installed it. I'd guess it cost him 20k total.It really makes a home to have good closet shelving & storage. I can at usually double the hanging space in most closets by using pull down rods

Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well that is a beautiful job. I was going to boast about me building a shed but this beats the heck out of that.

Back a few years I built a wooden 10x12 shed with the help of my wife's uncle. He was a professional carpenter(even was part of the SeaBees) before he retired. He taught me so much about building that I will never be able to repay him.

We dug foundations, poured concrete, framed it, roofed it etc. He even taught me trivial stuff like how to clean off the head of a hammer so it doesn't slip on nails from zinc buildup. Never knew that and never heard of it before him.

He has since passed on but the skills he taught are still there and I hope to pass them on to my boys.

Again, beautiful job.

Jim Henderson

Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Kalahnikid
Junior User
Right wing rebuild on a Citabria:

It was kind of cool to fly the plane for the first time after getting done with the project.

Currently in the middle of a firewall forward rebuild on my Pietenpol. Got a Continental A-65 to overhaul and then hang.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Originally Posted by lariat97
I can at usually double the hanging space in most closets by using pull down rods
What are those? I really need to do something like that. Tough to install?

Originally Posted by Kalahnikid
Right wing rebuild on a Citabria:

That definitely qualifies as cool!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:38 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Check this out Dave. There's quite a few versions out there.

Pull Down Closet Rod - Chrome | Closet Rods & Brackets | Closet

Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That definitely qualifies as cool!
Agreed!!!!!!

Hey Jim Henderson...Let's see some pictures of the shed!!
I

Old 02-16-2011, 09:28 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Dave the rods Ed posted are a brand I've used. They work good & I haven't had any problems with them. They are easy to install.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Thanks Ed & Howard! I appreciate the info!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Built this while working for the State me and one other guy lived in tents for the summer and built this. The beams are 8x16 and the logs are 8x8 really miss that kind of work.

Had better pictures lost them on old computer.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I always wanted to do this , waited 25 years Took 3 years . I designed,engineered & built the entire house by myself.. (if that is anything )Name:  House Front.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  249.6 KB

Name:  House Rear 1.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  293.8 KB

Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Good looking place Rick! And taking a dream and acting upon it is everything! Congratulations. Well done!

Like to see a different angle of the deck. Looks inviting.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks ,,, I can take more pics of the deck ..

Old 02-18-2011, 11:01 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Originally Posted by Action4478
I designed,engineered & built the entire house by myself.. (if that is anything)
Mmmm... yeah... that would qualify as a little something.

Very impressive and wish I could do it.

Quick Reply: whats the coolest project you have built? ( not car related)