1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my truck got broken into.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my truck got broken into.

just to let yall who dont know.... these trucks are extremely easy to get broken into. they are even easier to get stolen. i will get pictures of the door handle later today or tomorrow. i dont drive my truck everyday anymore since im typically in my work truck during the week. i noticed friday that my door handle was sticking out a bit further than it should. i dissmissed it because i am **** about things and figured i just never noticed it. further into the weekend yesterday my wife asked me about a 20 pack of beer that had been in the back seat since new years (got it really cheap) that was missing. i didnt remember bringing it in so i wasnt alarmed. the more i thought about it i started looking thru the truck. yep missing 5-8 cds/ cd cases. missing my fm transmiter for my black berry....yup my truck was broken into. im not as mad as i was yesterday but i still peaved.

looking at the truck it is very hard to tell it was broken into but now the key cylinder does not work. they punched the key and cracked the handle. i plan to install a alarm in the next few weeks and am seriously looking at train horns to further deter people from getting very far with the truck. i also plan to put a door handle with no key cylinder and try to disable the locks as much as i can to prevent a break in. i know the glass will get broken if they really want in but i want to reduce my risks as much as i can.

so basically just a fyi. if the handle looks weird look closer. dont leave anything in the truck you dont want to loose. i am lucky i lost a cheap $20 transmitter and $50 woth of cds. it could have been way worse. hopefully this is a wake up call to people like my wife that want to leave a purse or something of value in the truck at the bar or even at your freaking house in the drive way. dont do it.
our options at theft deterent are very limited since we were not as lucky as the excursions which got pats a factory theft deterent which from what i hear is pretty good. out trucks can be broken into and have the ignition cylinder pullted and be driven on 20-30 seconds. this is alot of the reason they are so high on stolen t=vehicle lists. i am not a car theif but i could have any 99-07 truck with a very small amount of tools in 5 mins. again im not a theif but if a common guys can do this then just imagine what a pro can do.
a good alarm will go a ways but other items like jimi jammers which are designed to protect the door handles from entry help. a antitheft deveice like the ravelco is also a great theft deterent as well. ravelco is not a alarm but ignition imobilser.
the alarm i plan to use has a pager feature so hopefully it will be enough. i hope none of you guys have this happen to you it is verry irritating. i might luck out with the cameras that are on the property i live on we might be able to find the guys that did this and get some sort of justice out of this.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:48 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
i am lucky i lost a cheap $20 transmitter and $50 woth of cds.
Don't forget the 20 pack of beer!!

Old 02-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Braxas
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like some kids looking for an opportunity and some free beer. I hope you catch them.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
Don't forget the 20 pack of beer!!
lol well im kinda finiky and the beer got hot and cold a few times so im guessing by my standarts it was skunky. i sure hope it was at least. got the 20pk of coors light for like 8 bucks on new years so it wasnt a big loss. i would have brought it in but im currently living in a hotel and dont have a big enough fridge for a 6 pack. can you ever pass up cheap beer though

Last edited by Lubbockguy1979; 02-06-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Future_LEO
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And my family and g/f think I'm paranoid just b/c I bought a Ravelco and I want a 2-way page alarm, jimmi jammers...oh and the CHL coming in a couple months!

I say I'm just taking precautions, they say I'm crazy. But I'd rather be prepared then kick myself in the *** later when something does happen because I was naive.

Also Lubbock, they make a clear lament that you put on windows (first saw it on home windows on It Takes a Theif) but you can use it for cars too.

SKIP TO 40 seconds
YouTube - It Takes A Thief features ACE Security Laminates

Only concern is if you get in an accident and they cant bust in to get you out or takes them a little longer. Or if you drive into water and cant get yourself out...

Old 02-06-2011, 03:15 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have JimmiJammers installed due to all the reports here of hacked handles. I removed the rod for the keylock on the drivers side as well.

Sam

Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
I plan to do that. The glass thing looks like a great idea to. I pay for insurance. So that is my lowest deductable anyway... What is the chl? Hand gun license? If that is what your refering to you are way better off not having a chl in texas. Basically you can shoot some one easier with out a chl then with one. The chl makes you surrender a lot of your rights.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:23 PM
robd928
Junior User
Some POS tried to break in but my truck has both a Viper and a hidden kill switch.
When I replaced the door handle I ordered two new handles without the lock hole and completely eliminated the door lock cylinders and rods.
I keep new batteries in my alarm remotes just in case on dies and have another way in if need be.....

Old 02-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
I almost want the alarm to just notify me and not the theif. A car theif after dark could be shot no questions asked. If he was in the truck just start shooting. Ask questions later.....

Old 02-06-2011, 10:00 PM
ol'yeller
Senior User
When they broke into my F250 they left all of my CDs. I guess they didn't appreciate Lee Greenwood or Johnny Rivers.... go figure.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Lol that is funny. They took mostly my wife's cd and a the great divide cd that is out of print... ***** heads

Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 AM
TheKid1
Senior User
Maybe that POS took some Christina Aguilera's CDs....That'll fix him good...

Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 AM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jimmi-Jammers will just about stop the easy 5 second entry without JJ's. On my 2002, I got hit in the middle of the day in a parking lot. They took all my tools and camera. The JJ's have a steel plate plus a hose clamp around the lock mechanism. Instead of just sticking a scredriver in the lock and twisting, the thief will have to use a hammer to pound out the entire lock mechanism. If you have an alarm, then that alone should make the thief go to another vehicle. Removing the lock altogether will work as long as you don't have a battery problem, but they can still get in under the plastic plate and pop the door lock bar. The JJ's stop that as well. The JJ's are about $40 and worth the effort to install.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 AM
MC9
Junior User
Set my key and remote (aftermarket) on the armrest and got out of my 250 to take a picture. The door locked? called the local fix-it guy. He came and took a screwdriver and pried the top of the door a little, put in a little wood wedge and shoved a stiff wire down onto the lock button and I was in. Took seconds. I never get out now without my keys in hand. Electronics are scary.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MC9
Set my key and remote (aftermarket) on the armrest and got out of my 250 to take a picture. The door locked? called the local fix-it guy. He came and took a screwdriver and pried the top of the door a little, put in a little wood wedge and shoved a stiff wire down onto the lock button and I was in. Took seconds. I never get out now without my keys in hand. Electronics are scary.
yeh, I have keyless entry pad on the drivers door. tested it when I bought the truck, left the stock code in the glovebox... didn't put it where I would remember..

we stopped on the side of the road to switch drivers, and the dogs stepped on the door lock.. phones, keys, info INSIDE the truck.. trailer locked (keys IN the truck)..

finally waved someone down and they had a phonebook for the area (75miles away town), and called a pop-a-lock.. took less than 5 seconds for him once he got there 2 hours later. down thru the window slot.

all kinds of fun... they keyless code is now burned onto my eyelids.. and I'll probably never need it.. but now I use it once a month.. get out, lock car, come back, unlock..

sam

Quick Reply: my truck got broken into.