6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

With all the technology available

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 AM
W7PSK
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
With all the technology available

I just wonder why the company didn't include EGT/pyrometer in the gauge cluster? It would be nice to keep an eye on it. I know the computer does, but would be nice to monitor. Would prefer it over oil temp especially since we have an oil temp gauge up on the cluster already.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe to help the aftermarket and to part you from your money?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:04 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggziff
Maybe to help the aftermarket and to part you from your money?
Good point. Apple follows this model "were not good at cases...we're good at what goes inside them". Ford probably figures they've given everything one would "need" to function, it's up to the aftermarket to "accessorize".

My $.02

Thanks

Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
To each his own but I had EGT's available on my Edge Insight for my 04 6.0. It was running a tuner so I thought it was prudent. I have to be honest. I never watched it much after I had it a while. High EGT's only came with high throttle settings and after a short while I knew where the EGT's would be while running the truck hard. The stock computer and programming are far more capable of monitoring EGT's 100% of the time than me. Ford trusts them to do their job. I will let them.

Now if I ever went with a tuner...

Regards

Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
So do you think that the computer will defuel this engine if the EGT raise too high?

I had an Edge Evolution on my 6.0L. Ran it in stock mode all the time. In fact I never once even tried the upper settings. But I would frequently hit EGT temps in stock mode that I didn't want to run at. 1300+

This most often happened when I was grinding up a steep grade pulling my horsetrailer. It seemed the hottest temps I ever encountered where when I was in cruise control and trying to hold the speedlimit and the engine was in low to mid 2000 RPMS. With the EGT display, I would either take my foot out of it and drive slower, or force a down shift and run the engine at higher RPM. Which seemed to push more air thru the engine and the EGTs would drop.

The 6.0L engines didn't seem to have the inteligence to defuel

Old 02-06-2011, 02:43 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
It has been posted here by our resident Ford engineer that the 6.7 has sophisticated defueling programming and excessive EGT's are included in the strategy. He also commented on a tuner thread that there is considerable performance control programming in place to save critical drive line components from self destruction. He wondered what would break first.

My brother in law is a high ranking manager at the Ford axle manufacturing plant here in SE Michigan. He is a metallurgical engineer. We have had discussions about the traction control sensitivity. He assured me it was necessary. With 400/800 power, things will break. This coincides with the others opinion.

I would say the 6.7 is smart enough to defuel

Regards