1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Headlight swap (retro)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:06 AM
LSxEconoline
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight swap (retro)

So on a complete impulse i saw these headlights and trim at the auto store and said why not. Well in the end it really did turn out nice but wow that took way more work than i was planning.

I didn't know about Ford inherently weak headlight system so after plugging the headlights up i blew the system and had to follow this thread...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-for-30-a.html

...to make a new one. And lucky me it worked perfectly the first time. Now if i can just get the guy who said he had the 75-79 grill in this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-78-grill.html
to show back up i might actually see this completely finished.

What y'all think?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I was grinning and struggling to remember the last vehicle I owned with those round H/L's------the only one coming to mind is a '69 Chevy one-ton van, late 70's IIRC.

Its certainly a unique look for that body style-----for some reason it might look "better" with the chrome grill though. That's very subjective and its not a horrible look at all.

The linked thread is quite good for a lot of reasons as it offers a few improvements over the older H/L wiring harnesses. Mostly I liked the idea of relays triggered by the main H/L switch which has to be easier on it over time.

One thing in that thread probably not a good idea is the "forced low beams", IMHO anyway---might be something you like.

If you change out the grill with the chrome version share with us---love to see it!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:35 AM
LSxEconoline
Cross-Country
By forced low beams do you mean like DTL? As in always on? I used the same dash switch and floor H/L switcher and everything works just like stock.

Since the body color is white and since I don't have the shroud from the older style grill trim I decided to paint it all matte black so you wouldn't see anything past the grill. Otherwise you would have the white background with the old 2 rectangle light configuration.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:36 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Very cool look. I still own my '91 BMW 318is that uses quad round sealed beam headlights. Their light output sucks, but the car is primarily a garage queen that I'd just as soon keep stock.

I love the classic long nose Ford van look with the beveled edge on the front of the hood.

George

Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
In the linked thread forced low beams is mentioned and the answer being its wiring the H/L's to power the low AND high beam filaments simultaneously, the thought being it gives more usable light.

For your application it wouldn't be useful at all, just a way to burn through lamps more quickly!

Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Cobra-Kai
Senior User
Looks good - but where are your turn signal lights?

Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Very cool look. I still own my '91 BMW 318is that uses quad round sealed beam headlights. Their light output sucks, but the car is primarily a garage queen that I'd just as soon keep stock.
Sealed beams on an E30?
Usually they have H1-Headlights.
Or is it usual for the US-Version?

Old 09-17-2013, 05:19 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Cobra-Kai

Sealed beams on an E30?
I have seen a lot of E30's with H1 headlights but I believe all of the OEM US cars had quad halogen sealed beams. Mine was the last year of 3 series coupe/sedan production (convertible went thru 92 or 93) and certainly the E36 went to plastic housings with separate bulbs.

Mine is the "budget" hotrod--for 1991 they did a 318i sedan (hubcap car) loss leader, and my 318is coupe with sport suspension, Recaro seats (in leatherette), BBS cross spoke wheels. Kind of a poor man's M3 and a riot to drive and own (same drivetrain as a Z3, same 2600 lb weight, 50/50 weight distribution).

I just looked at the Rock Auto listings and even the E30 M3 headlight listings are all for plain old sealed beams...if any E30 was gonna have high end lights it would have been the M3.

George

Old 09-17-2013, 07:13 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Now you have me wondering how my '88 e250 would look with a black grill like yours and some black rims.......

Match my track cars black cowl hood and rims.

If only time and money were no object!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Vanaddiction
Senior User
Until about 10 years ago I had a '78 which had those round lights. With halogen sealed beams I thought the lights were plenty bright. Funny though, I used to imagine going to square lights for the "modern" look. It's cool you went for the round retro look! What do you say about adding port-holes and ****?

Old 09-18-2013, 04:48 AM
Cobra-Kai
Senior User
I have seen a lot of E30's with H1 headlights but I believe all of the OEM US cars had quad halogen sealed beams. Mine was the last year of 3 series coupe/sedan production (convertible went thru 92 or 93) and certainly the E36 went to plastic housings with separate bulbs.
Thats what I ment with "US-Version".
Here in Germany all E30 have the H1 headlights.

Some rumors say they're the same as the one in E34 (5-Series) and E32 (7-Series).
Not quite true - the Headlights are the same, but the Bracket is different.

The Reason for this conversion is that in America is only symmetrical light allowed, while in Europe only asymmetrical light is allowed.

Means: The american low beams only shine down and the european low beams shine down and go up to the right side (to the left in the UK).
The reason of this asymmetrical light is to see pedestrians on the sidewalk better

Old 09-18-2013, 12:01 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Thats what I ment with "US-Version".
Here in Germany all E30 have the H1 headlights.
Oops...did not notice you were in Germany. The US had some pretty antiquated headlight laws for years; we are now catching up with the rest of the world.

Man, your gasoline bills have to be pretty crazy to operate an E van over there, to say nothing of the narrow streets.

Take care,
George

Old 09-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Cobra-Kai
Senior User
Man, your gasoline bills have to be pretty crazy to operate an E van over there, to say nothing of the narrow streets.
Maybe that's why the Econoline never were official on the European Market.
We have the Transit instead for decades

With an gasprice of about 8$ per gallon, the Van is just a "Fun-Vehicle" for me.
My everyday car is a '91 BMW E34 525i (M50) - with an mileage of 25mpg.

The narrow streets can be kind of funny when someone approaches

Old 09-18-2013, 03:02 PM
LSxEconoline
Cross-Country

Sealed beams on an E30?
lol well they are there underneath dangling by the headlights... but i dropped a wrench finishing these up and dinked a pinhole leak in the rad so i got sidetracked ONCE AGAIN haha.

i literally just finished replacing the rad because i couldn't get it to seal and im in the middle of a move so i said F it and just got a new rad.

i plan on taking out the lower part and cutting spaces for the stock retro location.

Originally Posted by jayro88
Now you have me wondering how my '88 e250 would look with a black grill like yours and some black rims.......

Match my track cars black cowl hood and rims.

If only time and money were no object!!!
I literally used only one can on all of this...

i also painted a lot under the hood and behind the lights. I like it cuz its different for now but the end goal would be the old style grill. i say DO ET BRO!

Originally Posted by Vanaddiction
Until about 10 years ago I had a '78 which had those round lights. With halogen sealed beams I thought the lights were plenty bright. Funny though, I used to imagine going to square lights for the "modern" look. It's cool you went for the round retro look! What do you say about adding port-holes and ****?
dont temp me with the **** man...

Old 09-19-2013, 06:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Vanaddiction
What do you say about adding port-holes and ****?
Nawh---need this stuff for a real *******' Wagon: Omega Pattern Works - Fluorescent Carpet - Neon Carpet - Glow Carpet - Black Light Carpet

I can hear the sitar music and smell the incense even now............

Keep the portholes though----no substitute for those!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hope it was all worth it?

Originally Posted by LSxEconoline
lol well they are there underneath dangling by the headlights... but i dropped a wrench finishing these up and dinked a pinhole leak in the rad so i got sidetracked ONCE AGAIN haha.
IMO your entire ordeal seems like a sidetrack.

Quick Reply: Headlight swap (retro)