Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift kit questions???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:50 AM
Kyle 4X4 4life
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift kit questions???

I know theres a ton of forums about lifts on here but i just wanna ask about a specific one that im looking to buy and wanna get some opinions on it. Im looking at getting either a 4 or 6 inch.
This is the 6 inch: 80-96 Ford F150 or Bronco 6" Suspension lift Kit - eBay (item 260728199030 end time Feb-05-11 16:04:09 PST)

This is the 4 inch: 80-96 Ford F150 or Bronco 4" lift Kit - eBay (item 330523884728 end time Feb-05-11 16:05:44 PST)

The only difference i see is that the four comes with a steering stabilizer and is $30 dollars cheaper, in my opinion i think the 6" would be worth spending the extra $30, what is your guys thoughts? I know im being cheap but i dont have the money for a good high quality lift, and dont do enough hard core off-roading that requires one. Just looking to sit a bit higher and not have my tires rub on my fenders when i hit a hard bump, plus i like driving by people and looking down on them

Old 02-05-2011, 03:19 AM
Gregallen
Junior User
If ur not looking for a lot of articulation of the axels and u want the stock ride granted they r not to smoth anyway.Sometimes the wrong aftermarket lift takes away from it id go cheap and do a simple body block lift or I would go with a 4 inch one if u dont like the block lift 6 inch is a lot just to have a big truck it can put a lot of stain on axels'tranfer case, and drive line angels.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:29 AM
Kyle 4X4 4life
Senior User
Ya i was thinking to 3" body myself, that gives me a 5" lift anyway. I just haven't heard a lot of good about body lifts. Dont know why, i had one on my 87 ranger and had no problems at all with it.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:40 AM
Gregallen
Junior User
Its a prfernc thing I had a 94 ranger for a trail truck 8 inch 3 inch body lift put some hard plastic inbetween the body and fram to hide the gap and an xtra plte on the block and body to give more support. I never had a problem either. I went threw extreame drive ine angels and blew 2 trans and a few differentials so I dont recamend to mutch lift but a moderate one is ok

Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 AM
Kyle 4X4 4life
Senior User
Ya i got what your saying. I'll look into it and see what i come up with. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:55 AM
93f250tn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kyle 4X4 4life
Ya i was thinking to 3" body myself, that gives me a 5" lift anyway. I just haven't heard a lot of good about body lifts. Dont know why, i had one on my 87 ranger and had no problems at all with it.
First thing you need to learn which everyone will agree, cheap and lift dos not go to together... Rough country isnt that bad but remember its just like everything else... you pay what you get for... As far as a body lift gos, there cheap, easy, but look like crap... a body lift should be your last resort, remember after you do any type of body lift you will have to make custom brackets for your front and rear bumper in order to get them to sit flush with the body or you will have a huge gap between your body and bumpers. If you ABSOLUTELY wanted a body lift i would do a 2", if you do a 3" you start running into problems which people with experience with doing 3" body lifts will chime in and tell you those problems. With running 35s, you really need a 6" lift kit... Depending on the condition of your leaf springs, if there fine you can do the kit with just add-a-leafs and blocks, if not then you'll need to order the kit with replacement leaf springs. If you plan on continuing to run 35s, do the 6" lift kit which with all the parts and steering stablizer should run you about $700 bucks. Just some FYI that 5.0 is a good motor but not exactly the best thing to be turning 35s... If i were you i would get rid of the 35s, do a 4" lift kit and just run 33s, your motor will love you for it and you will also be much happier. Remember lifting your truck and running 35s is going to put alot more strain on your parts... Also if you have not changed the gears out, you will also need to do that... Theres alot more to it then just slapping some big tires and a lift on a truck... The guys on here have drilled that into my head a year or so back when i first planned on lifting mine

Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 AM
93f250tn
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gregallen
Its a prfernc thing I had a 94 ranger for a trail truck 8 inch 3 inch body lift put some hard plastic inbetween the body and fram to hide the gap and an xtra plte on the block and body to give more support. I never had a problem either. I went threw extreame drive ine angels and blew 2 trans and a few differentials so I dont recamend to mutch lift but a moderate one is ok
The plastic inbetween the body is a good idea and what alot of folks do or they put plastic sheets over it so you cant see the gap. Your situation is completely different then his... You had a 8" suspension lift which is the most you can buy without making your own custom suspension lift so you wanted more lift and put a body lift on it which alot of folks because its only $250-$300 bucks vs replacing the whole suspension with a custom one, but like i said its a last resort....

Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Gregallen
Junior User
Yeah I was (am) young and dumb. Went big and went home I still have the truck it just sits for now but I found a kit that will alow me to drop the t case angel down to getthe angels better so I stop strping everything but my 150 inline six.swap out to a 351 stroked to a 408 is more important right now

Old 02-05-2011, 04:24 AM
93f250tn
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gregallen
Yeah I was (am) young and dumb. Went big and went home I still have the truck it just sits for now but I found a kit that will alow me to drop the t case angel down to getthe angels better so I stop strping everything but my 150 inline six.swap out to a 351 stroked to a 408 is more important right now
Anything over a 6" lift you will need a custom driveshaft... I am young as well (19 years old) you just gotta educate yourself before you go dumping money into something. I dont understand why he put 35s on a truck that isnt lifted, has the 5.0, and am also guessing has stock gears...

Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 AM
Gregallen
Junior User
Only my opinion not trying to step on toes hear.

Asuming thier 4.10 s keep the 35 s and get a decent 4 inch lift not a block lift a full lift. New leafs coils socks and duel steering stabilizer u need the duel not single.
Susspension parts ware out try to get a kit with everything. I understand the hole money thing but ur only as strong as ur weakest point.

Far as a body lift goes still a matter of opinon. My body lift came with the bumber kit to git ride of the gap in the front and I had a custom built rear one. If u do it right u wont be able to tell thats whats in thier.

Gearing is very im portant tho I ran 39 s and the last set I put in the truck was arb air lockers and a 5.38 gear set to handel the load. This still isnt good enouph beeing that its a ranger I have a set of solid axels I.wanna put in her and a 302 as well.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Bullfrog69z
New User
Like Gregallen said , a body lift on most models come with bumper lift. I put a 3" in mine in about a day. Had no trouble at all. You can look at my picture gallery and see how it looks. I'm running the 285/75/16 tires and like most said going to the 35 , you might want to look at gears to.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Gregallen
Junior User
Bullfrog I love ur truck ive been looking for one like it but live in ny thier hard to find in goodd shape or lower miles

Old 02-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Bullfrog69z
New User
Thanks!! 2002 with 162,000 miles and still strong. Soon to be sons truck. Time for a new 1 for me.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Gregallen
Junior User
Haha yeah good fer him and u I need a parts getter putting to many miles on my 06 powerstroke plus dad aint happy paying for mileage when go for deliver or pick up parts

Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Kyle 4X4 4life
Senior User
Alright guys i understand what your all saying, i have considered gears and i know my 5.0 isn't the best to puch 35's im not a complete idiot.lol But this is my point of view. I got the pickup for FREE, the motor runs like perfect so i dont want to waste my money on a bigger one i'd rather just run it till it blows then get a bigger one, same with my gears, yes they are stock gears and i was looking to put in higher one's but it runs down the highway and shifts through all gears perfectly fine. The ONLY thing i noticed with the 35's compared to the the 33's is i lost a little power pullling hills down the highway but its barely notacible. I know im breaking a lot of rules with what im doing. Trust me on this if i had the money and the truck was worth it i'd do the right lift, regear it, and build up the motor. But its strictly just a beat around pickup im trying to make look alright. But i do appreciate all the comments, and do consider them, just the pickup isn't worth putting a $1000 lift under it.

Quick Reply: Lift kit questions???