Sponsored by:

Steering gearbox debate... Again...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Steering gearbox debate... Again...

So after driving the work trucks all winter and our new to us 01 superduty I have found that even though I adjusted the box in my X and the steering feels tight at the steering wheel the box still allows wheel/tire movement which causes wander. I wasn't very aware of it before because I always had some trailer in tow and just thought the trailer was pushing the x around some. After pulling the X out of storage, having a fresh feel of it and driving it alone I instantly realized the box has slop.

So here comes the debate of boxes. I know it has been talked about, there has been group buys, and some problems and whatnot with the red heads.

I would like to have a fresh up to date discussion about redhead and other parts store boxes.

From what I remember reading many are happy with their redheads but a few had problems. What the ratio is I don't know but out of the amount bought I would only expect to maybe see one person have a problem with a box. But it seems there were more than that?

At the same time it seems more than a few people have gotten box store boxes and I can't recall any of these people complaining about a bad box?

I know redhead claims to replace a bushing with a bearing, but I also seem to remember that the newer 01+ boxes have bearings stock from the factory anyhow? If that is the case and the rest of the box is just a simple rebuild are they worth around double the cost of a box store box?

I would like to hear everyones experience with box store boxes.

What do oem ford rebuilt boxes cost and are they worth it?

The one benefit I can think of is if there is a problem with the box store box they are only two blocks away which would make an exchange easier than if there were a problem with a redhead.

You guys know how I am, I like to make very educated parts decisions.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:42 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
You are the Snowman, Build one!

No help here, still on my tight stock box.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:25 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had my Redhead box in for a couple of weeks. So far so good, nice and tight, responsive steering. No complaints from me, handles quite a bit better than with the stock box. I can't say the OEM ones are bad, I mean mine had 230k+ miles on it...Shop was going to charge near 500 bucks for OEM, came out about 100 bucks more for the Redhead, since I purchased. I can tell you they were impressed with the box and wanted to know where I got it..

-Art

Old 05-02-2015, 12:35 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a Redhead box after doing all the other crap....

It took 3/4 of the wander out....way better but not all.

I called Joel up there and had a good discussion. He said he wanted me to double check the ball joints for being sticky.

But I had just had am alignment done and they said everything was good and no slop. Joel said he'd be happy to send out another box if all else was good. But he wanted me to double check.

I didn't have an alignment rack to check the ball joints with the weight on them so I just said the hell with it and drilled them and hammered in zerks and greased them up.

And......kapow the last 25% is all but gone. It's so much better than when I first got it.

Obviously the joints where sticky but there was still a ton of slop in the original box.

If I were you I would see if you lower joints are greasable and if not make them that way....it took my 10 minutes. Because if yours only wanders a little...that may be why.

I only have about 3k miles on the new box but am happy at this point and the customer service "was on point"

Old 05-02-2015, 01:20 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 05-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by A Rodder
I bought a Redhead box after doing all the other crap....

It took 3/4 of the wander out....way better but not all.

I called Joel up there and had a good discussion. He said he wanted me to double check the ball joints for being sticky.

But I had just had am alignment done and they said everything was good and no slop. Joel said he'd be happy to send out another box if all else was good. But he wanted me to double check.

I didn't have an alignment rack to check the ball joints with the weight on them so I just said the hell with it and drilled them and hammered in zerks and greased them up.

And......kapow the last 25% is all but gone. It's so much better than when I first got it.

Obviously the joints where sticky but there was still a ton of slop in the original box.

If I were you I would see if you lower joints are greasable and if not make them that way....it took my 10 minutes. Because if yours only wanders a little...that may be why.

I only have about 3k miles on the new box but am happy at this point and the customer service "was on point"

All 4 of my ball joints are replaced and have zerks in them. I just greased them up about a week ago as well while doing the oil change.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:07 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
All 4 of my ball joints are replaced and have zerks in them. I just greased them up about a week ago as well while doing the oil change.
Well we can cross that one off!
Good luck on the research!

Old 05-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mecdac
This was an interesting discussion:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...iscussion.html

Yes it was and I followed it from start to finish as well as replied a few times in it.

I started this thread to get a fresh update hopefully of people that do have redheads and how they are holding up.

I am also very interested in what kind of luck people that got box store boxes are having.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a Redhead now but here is the result of my parts store box

Old 05-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I remember that pic! Did you shear the output shaft or something? Which box store?

Old 05-03-2015, 08:48 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Snow, after new ball joints, all tie rods, ps pump & hoses, my Red Head box has been trouble free and steers crisply. I returned to one damper.

Still thrilled with the now famous zerk fitting giving unit bearings nine lives.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I remember that pic! Did you shear the output shaft or something? Which box store?

Thought you might, The pitman shaft seal blew out after 50 miles and was pumping out fluid at a alarming rate. The box came from Rock auto, They were pretty good about returning it and I put the money toward a Redhead. I cant say that I really noticed much difference in the two as they both seamed to tighten up the play I had..

Old 05-03-2015, 03:17 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford replaced mine years ago under warranty at 26k miles due to leaking. At 110k with no problems with it at all(knocks on wood...lol).

Old 05-03-2015, 04:39 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
Thought you might, The pitman shaft seal blew out after 50 miles and was pumping out fluid at a alarming rate. The box came from Rock auto, They were pretty good about returning it and I put the money toward a Redhead. I cant say that I really noticed much difference in the two as they both seamed to tighten up the play I had..
What brand? I noticed that they have an AcDelco unit, which I recently put in my Jeep Wrangler TJ. The other brands I really wouldn't trust to hold up.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
What brand? I noticed that they have an AcDelco unit, which I recently put in my Jeep Wrangler TJ. The other brands I really wouldn't trust to hold up.
The brand was Lares which I found out later is rebuilt close to me in Cambridge MN...

Quick Reply: Steering gearbox debate... Again...