1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new tool to Grease Front 4x4 Hub Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by madscientist
OK... so i put the new grease in, but where did the old grease go? Or will it ooze out somewhere?

You know, I'm a stickler for those laws of thermodynamics...can't destroy matter an all...
I removed one of my hubs before I started this greasing operation. I found that some of the original grease was already outside of the bearings around the locking nut. I greased this hub on my bench to develop the process - some of the old grease came out of the ABS hole as the cavity became full - I continued pumping until only fresh grease came out. I am guessing half of the original grease came out - some evaporated and the remaining gets mixed with the new grease.

I think I have put about 3 to 4 times the grease in the cavity that was originally in the hub from the factory. The new grease will gradually push most of the rest of the old grease out of the bearings. Not a perfect situation but I believe a very acceptable way to keep the bearings in good condition.

By the way my Needle Bearings were like new with plenty of original grease. My 2003 Excursion has 74000 miles, Original Factory wheels/tires and maybe 100 miles in four wheel drive - this is just info. NOTE: Needle Bearings can only be greased by removing the Hub from the Vehicle!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:32 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by madscientist
OK... so i put the new grease in, but where did the old grease go? Or will it ooze out somewhere?

You know, I'm a stickler for those laws of thermodynamics...can't destroy matter an all...
Would you rather do A; nothing and let the bearing wear out or B; Put 90% new grease in there and keep your bearings? It's kind of like running into someone that has been stranded in the forest for a week and saying " I don't know if I should give you half my sandwich since you might have a little food in there still".

Old 02-05-2011, 11:23 AM
madscientist
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the fact that it needs new grease.... but my question was: what happens to the old grease? Does it ooze out all at once like a grease fitting or do you lose it gradually? I would like to avoid having dog-pile of grease inder the truck waiting to be stepped-in.

I wouldn't want to give the starving fellow half my sandwich and be surprised when he has explosive diarhea....

Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Greaser1
New User
I posted how to do this in the chevy forum. I use a different technique and I think the results are better. If you want to see pics and what I use go to Courtsara :: Tips This is free and will work on any hub that has an abs sensor. Each picture has explainations and can be enlarged so you can see what to look for. Another thing you can do is google "how to grease your sealed hubs". I am on many forums with that info. The pics can only be seen on my site.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't want to give the starving fellow half my sandwich and be surprised when he has explosive diarhea....[/quote]

Old 02-20-2013, 04:37 PM
MauleOne
Elder User
Grease Hubs

Check with Clay at RiffRaff Diesel

He makes a tool for this that bolts into the ABS hole and does a nice job

Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Anybody got a way of lubing the bearing while on the truck without a fitting? I was thinking of a flexible tube attached to a grease gun.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Greaser1
New User
Originally Posted by EXv10
Anybody got a way of lubing the bearing while on the truck without a fitting? I was thinking of a flexible tube attached to a grease gun.

I guess you didnt read my post a few posts before yours. I use a rubber tip. Read my post and it will direct you to pictures.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So whens the cutoff for this technique 05?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
So whens the cutoff for this technique 05?
Wondering this also ?
According to RiffRaff's web-site it looks like 2003 is cutoff

Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Greaser1
New User
If it has an abs sensor in the hub it can be greased. One of the things I got out of reading this thread is that none of the commenters have said anything about heat generated by the grease you put in the hub. In every hub, whether its sealed or tapered roller bearing, you have to have a certain amount of air in them for expansion and to keep the grease molecules from rubbing one another and producing heat. On my site, that I posted the hyperlink earlier, I rotated the hub one time and pushed some of the grease out and then took a screwdrive and inserted it to where it just touches the commutator for the abs. You hold the screwdriver stationary while rotating the hub. More grease will ride up the screwdriver. Now you clean the abs sensor hole out and you have created an air pocket within the hub. If you go to my site and expand on the pictures you can see what I am saying in the explanations for each picture. Kendall Super Blue 427 grease is what I see in almost all the bearings I have messed with so that is what I have been using. On a half ton hub, I have got it down to 26 to 28 pumps of grease. If you pump 36 to 40 you will see the seal do what is in the pictures where it sweats out a little grease. On a 3/4 ton hub this can vary a lot for some reason. Usually 60 to 80 pumps. I have 150k on my hubs right now with no sign of failing. I work in the mining industry and we were going through 120k worth of hubs a year. We have cut our hub use down to 5% of that so you judge for yourself.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by GUNNERDOG
I wish i kept that hub... When i replace the other one i'll take the angle-grinder to it and disect it with lots of pictures.
I just did mine a week or so ago. I still have my old ones. Would you like me to ship them to you? I can, no problem.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Well done "greaser 1" on write-up's (makes sense)...Rep's given

Note: the "generated heat" is exactly the problem i had w/using the Auto Hub's as Manual
(think i got it cured now)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...05-trucks.html

Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Greaser1
Kendall Super Blue 427 grease is what I see in almost all the bearings I have messed with so that is what I have been using.
That's not what Timken used from the factory, and they are the primary vendor to Ford for my years' Superduty.

Exxon/Mobil Infinitec 152 if you can get it, otherwise a very-commonly-available grease woulde be Mobil 1 red grease, available most everywhere.

I personally use Delo Grease EP.

All these greases are a lithium-complex thickener, NLGI#2.

In any case, a moly-fortified grease is not advised.

Pop

Quick Reply: A new tool to Grease Front 4x4 Hub Bearings