Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning our Ford OBDI EEC IV - QH/Tweecer/Others

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Krisverde
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gasquatch
I know absolutely nothing absolutely nothing about DIY tuning. I've always been able to bolt in my own powermakers then take my cars/trucks to a dyno and have a pro make them all work together for more ponies/efficiency.

Since getting into this bloody EEC-4 speed density stuff, I've found it impossible to get anyone to tune my truck. As mentioned in this thread, they all tell me to convert to MAF and come back. Just seems silly and unnecessary. So, knowing full well I'll be completely lost and likely break my beloved F250 if I tune it myself, are there folks out there the provide/sell "off the shelf" tunes to be punched into a tweecer or quarter horse, based on provided engine and upgrade specs? Sort of like PCM for less does with LT1 OBD1 and ALDL cars.

I'm savvy enough to install all the hardware, and run the programs, I just wouldn't know what to change, what to look for after, and why.

OR if anyone knows of a local EEC-4 speed density tuner in the greater Phoenix area, that would be fantastic!
I heard good things about AZ Dyno Chip in chandler. Ill probably be taking my truck to them soon.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:32 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by frederic
You don't have to, but it's probably the path of least resistance for you considering all the info and help you'll have access to once you do it. I personally think the big benefit is you can play with lumpy cams and the MAF system is very tolerant. Speed density, because it measures vacuum, won't be very happy.

If you don't want to weld a sensor bung onto your exhaust system, there are no-weld o2 sensor bung kits available. Basically, it's a wide exhaust clamp that goes between two sections of pipe and has a bung centered in between. That might make this part of the job easier for you.

I've seen them in 2.5" and 3.0" sizes and because they're adjustable downwards, that covers 2.25-3.0" diameter pipes well.

Hope that helps.
I had my local (in Newport News) exhaust shop stick them on, 15 min, $25 for bungs and plugs until I installed the EEC-V system.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:34 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Originally Posted by Krisverde
I heard good things about AZ Dyno Chip in chandler. Ill probably be taking my truck to them soon.
At least you have someone, my nearest shop that speaks Ford is clear up in Northern Delaware, about a 6 hour round trip.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:37 PM
Krisverde
Elder User
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
At least you have someone, my nearest shop that speaks Ford is clear up in Northern Delaware, about a 6 hour round trip.
Damn. Yea there are multiple people who speak Ford around Phoenix. Mostly MAF though.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:32 PM
Jim Bruns
New User
Originally Posted by 73FOMO
For now I only know of Conanski (Paul) and I with onboard tuning devices, but hoping to find other users. I am sure there are others with custom tuned chips. I have started this thread with hopes of encouraging some discussions around the "mythical black art" tuning on OUR trucks eec (electronic engine control & in some cases transmission controls) and maybe just to help others learn a little bit more about tuning and fyi info on our trucks. I am no expert but I will layout what I know. The great thing about eec tuning is that is a whole lot like tuning in the old days, except it is much, much more precise and flexible and you don't even get your hands dirty. Some spend days figuring out the right jettings, accelerator pumps for carbs and then even more time playing with base timing and figuring out the timing advance, but with electronic tuning all of this is magically contolled by a little box and can be altered with some keystrokes from your laptop sitting in the cab of you truck and many, many combinations can be tried quickly with the correct devices. It doesn't have to be intimidating!

I will be adding to this thread as I can but here are some basics definitions to begin with.

EEC - Ford Electronic Engine Control a.k.a (PCM). Consist of the computer, but also important are all the sensors that report back to the EEC. I.E. Maf sensor, ECT sensor, ACT sensor, TPS sensor, Knock Sensor among others.

J3 Port - An unused port that can be found on the side of your eec (pcm) box. Usually has a plastic plug covering the opening.

Strategy - Definition that the truck operates on. Just think operating system. a.k.a. (box code, catch code). You can cross reference from your Binary Code to find what strategy operates your particular truck.

Binary - Calibrations that are assigned in the strategy (definition). These are the actual numbers that will be adjusted during tuning. This will include fuel tables, spark tables, maf flow transfer flow numbers, injector sizing, idle settings, and even transmission shift pressures and shift points on eec controlled trannies. a.k.a (calibration, tune file)

Custom Chip - Computer chip that is plugged into factory J3 port. Tune cannot be calibrated real time. Requires removing to write the tune. Several different mfg's of chips available.

Tweecer - Device that plugs into factory J3 port used to make calibration adjustments and data log vehicle performance. Can be made in real time on the fly. Comes with own editing software. Data log requires wideband o2 sensor and controller.

Quarterhorse - Device that plugs into factory J3 port used in conjuction with Binary Editor software to calibrate changes on the fly and datalog vehicle performance. Data log requires wideband o2 sensor and controller.

Data Log - Basically a recording of actual readings from your vehicle while running. Data is used to fine tune your calibrations. Without a data log, it's just guessing. Requires wideband o2 sensor and controller.

Wideband o2 - Device that is capable of reading a wide spectrum of exhaust gases to determine air/fuel ratio. (in my own uncomplicated terms).

Hopefully this will help "break the ice" for those looking to Tweak their trucks performance!

More to come!
Time to bring back this post I've got a 95 f150 5.0 E303 cam gt40p heads and the 4r70w Trans with 373 gears

Old 03-27-2016, 07:25 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Bruns
Time to bring back this post I've got a 95 f150 5.0 E303 cam gt40p heads and the 4r70w Trans with 373 gears
Do you have a question, or something to add... Why not start a new thread?

Old 03-27-2016, 09:09 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

He did, here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tle-money.html
But it doesn't really ask a clear question really either.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Wildrebel69xxxx
New User
Hello I have a question for you.I have a 95 F150 which I swapped out the 4.9 for a 5.8. Unfortunately the 5.8 come out of a 97 f250 4x4. I thought we fried the original computer to the 97 so we bought a new one only to have the same problem of no start primarily no injector signal. Further investigation I find out the ecm is not compatible with the 95 body. What can I do to find the right ecm or reprogram the original ecm for the 4.9 to work.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 967 Likes on 765 Posts
You can't reprogram the 4.9 PCM or any PCM of this vintage so you will need a 5.8 PCM to match whatever trans the truck has. Is your truck MAF? When you did the V8 swap did you perhaps use the engine wiring portion that came with the 5.8? If so that won't work with the chassis wiring currently in your truck, the F250 had an SD system in it with batch fired injectors and your F150 should have been MAF with sequential injection, so the injector wiring doesn't match up at all. And on top of that the chassis portion of the wiring harness in your truck is missing 2 injector wires so they will have to be added and you need to source a MAF V8 engine harness. It would also be a good idea to dig up the PCM pinouts for an I6 and V8 truck, there may be wires that need to be moved to make it compatible with a V8 PCM.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:53 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

First question, was the 1997 a mass air flow system or a speed density system, quick check is the number of pins on the computer. Speed density will be an EEC-IV and have 60 pins, mass air will be an EEC-V and have 104 pins. The problem is the front harnesses in addition to the engine harness are quite different in the connections. You can correct the injector part fairly easily by moving some pins, the O2 sensors, MAF vs MAP becomes more difficult.

In looking further, the 1995 4.9L came either bank fired or sequential. Bank fired was 49 state, sequential was California emissions, however both were mass air systems. The problem is still changing from a 6 cyl engine to a V8, and converting to speed density unless the donor F250 was a California specification vehicle. The 42 pin plug for the engine changed a few times and is wired differently between a 6 and V8 and MAF vs SD also BF vs SEFI. The pins can probably be moved if you are comfortable playing with wiring.

Last edited by 85lebaront2; 04-03-2016 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added lines.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 967 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
First question, was the 1997 a mass air flow system or a speed density system,.
'96 and '97 F series trucks over 8500lb GVWR(basically everything F250 and up) were hold over models unchanged from '95 and used the OBD1 SD EFI system. Ford got an exemption for these vehicles form the OBD2 mandate because they had the all new Superduty series in development with all new powertrains scheduled for release in model year '98.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:21 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Not all were SD OBD-I, CA spec vehicles in 1996 went to OBD-II unless over 14000 GVWR. How else could I find factory information on MAF/SEFI 7.5L systems?

Old 04-03-2016, 07:36 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The easiest thing for you to do is find a 95 harness that is sd or maf (depending on what your 300-6 had when you started ) and just plug it in and hook it up... Done.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:38 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

If he needs a V8 SD harness, or a pre-OBD-II MAF V8 harness I have one of each as I started with mine being an SD 7.5L w/E4OD, built an MAF/SEFI harness to use a TwEECer and WAY1 EEC with. Ended up using an EEC-V MAF/SEFI system so I am not using either of them.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Wildrebel69xxxx
New User
Ok I'm not sure what either one is but the o5 f150 is not California emission ed nor is the o7 f250 4x4. I have found a 95 fet0 with the 5.8 do I need the chassis harness since the engine harness look identical. I see no sense changing the engine harness since both the o75.8 and the 95 are identical with all emissions and accessories

Quick Reply: Tuning our Ford OBDI EEC IV - QH/Tweecer/Others