1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

a real econoline steering fix!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by rebar13
I'm guessing this is due to the time and parts it takes.. When the alignment machine says its within ford specs, why mess with it? Right?
Yes to an extent but since most alignment techs aren't really all that skilled these days mucking about with something other than what the book calls for is beyond them. Liability surely figures into it all as well---most don't want to do something on their own for hire.

The alignment folks I've approached had NO interest at all in working with replacement bushings like those from Aligncraft. Whether they were a bit scared to dig into something unfamiliar or a money issue anything past a DIY install didn't seem possible here locally.

Ideally finding that one shop already experienced in this and access to or owning an alignment rack would be perfect. That's truly the elusive part of this, at least for me here in Columbus, Ohio.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Harvard
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
Yes to an extent but since most alignment techs aren't really all that skilled these days mucking about with something other than what the book calls for is beyond them. Liability surely figures into it all as well---most don't want to do something on their own for hire.

The alignment folks I've approached had NO interest at all in working with replacement bushings like those from Aligncraft. Whether they were a bit scared to dig into something unfamiliar or a money issue anything past a DIY install didn't seem possible here locally.

Ideally finding that one shop already experienced in this and access to or owning an alignment rack would be perfect. That's truly the elusive part of this, at least for me here in Columbus, Ohio.

On the topic of a DIY install, here is the procedure that worked for me using Ingalls 594 Sleeves:

1. Remove the front wheel.
2. Loosen Pinch Bolt and Remove installed sleeve(s).
3. Install 594 (M over G for Drivers side, M over S for Passengers side)
4. Torque Pinch Bolt as per (Ingalls) 59400.pdf Instructions
5. Reinstall wheel.
6. Align Toe to specified Toe and "you are good to go".

The M/G and the M/S will set your sleeves to be Caster +2.00 from neutral and Camber 0.00 from neutral.

I do not have the data to be sure BUT my guess is:

Neutral Caster is +4.5 minus Nose down attitude OR add Nose up attitude.

Neutral Camber is 0.0 +/- angular rotation due to amount of spring deflection.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:24 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Harvard the process of fitting the bushings is relatively easy and uncomplicated but were I to do this myself I'd much prefer having the work verified by an alignment bench or system.

The before and after readings would make me more comfortable and save the aggravation of not knowing how close the finished settings were relative to near ideal.

That's just me though and its great you shared your experience with this modification. In fact it was through one of your posts I first looked into adding + Caster a few years back.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:40 PM
Harvard
Senior User
JWA, I agree as I have had to wait out some 6 years and 30,000 miles to be confident the exercise was a total all around success.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:53 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Harvard
JWA, I agree as I have had to wait out some 6 years and 30,000 miles to be confident the exercise was a total all around success.
Unfortunately Harvard I'm far far too **** and anxious for resolution quicker than that!

I've become better acquainted with a customer's shop mechanic who works on E-Series on a regular basis. I'll run some of this past him, I'm sure he'll know someone willing to do a bit of experimentation. Even if this sort of installation runs $200 (less parts of course) it would be worth it.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:18 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Great to see you pop by JWA!

Old 07-14-2017, 06:34 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by annaleigh
Hey Woman---how ya be? Still wrestling with that van under the carport down in HotLanta?

Old 07-14-2017, 07:00 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
I am dong great and hope you are too! Oh, you know me and that van...I'll have the whole van rebuilt soon! Over 15k miles since I bought it and it hasn't quit on me yet!

How is the glass business going?

Old 07-14-2017, 11:58 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rebar13
I'm guessing this is due to the time and parts it takes.. When the alignment machine says its within ford specs, why mess with it? Right?

All I can say is that 5 degrees made a huge difference in the way my van keeps a straight line.. When I replaced my damper because it had leaked all its oil I couldn't tell any difference On or Off, other than it was harder to turn the wheel with a new damper back on.
rules are made to be broken
Originally Posted by JWA
Harvard the process of fitting the bushings is relatively easy and uncomplicated but were I to do this myself I'd much prefer having the work verified by an alignment bench or system.

The before and after readings would make me more comfortable and save the aggravation of not knowing how close the finished settings were relative to near ideal.

That's just me though and its great you shared your experience with this modification. In fact it was through one of your posts I first looked into adding + Caster a few years back.
One way or another whether it DIY or a shop, it should be checked
Ditto

Old 07-15-2017, 12:03 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Old 07-15-2017, 12:05 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
nuts...what is going on?

Old 07-15-2017, 05:25 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by vettex2
nuts...what is going on?
I find myself asking the same question minute-by-minute sometimes!

I am dong great and hope you are too! Oh, you know me and that van...I'll have the whole van rebuilt soon! Over 15k miles since I bought it and it hasn't quit on me yet!

How is the glass business going?
Glass is a bit slow at the moment, about once a year I hit a lull that can last a few weeks but it'll bounce back soon enough. As much as I complain about working I miss it sometimes. Another downside is it gives me too much time to think what else I can do to my van---working on modifying the coolant flow through the front heater core for the "cold air mod".

rules are made to be broken
I think that's what we're all doing here so yeah can't disagree.

One way or another whether it DIY or a shop, it should be checked
Agreed, 100%. With Harvard's more practical in-hand how-to on establishing the initial off-set using the Ingalls et al bushings this might be easier to do with an outfit who'd co-operate with this type of swap.

I do wonder if +5 Caster is "good" why don't we push that to +6? What would that yield?

Old 07-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Harvard
Senior User
Quote from JWA:
"I do wonder if +5 Caster is "good" why don't we push that to +6? What would that yield?"

Some have ended up at 6+ if they used the available +2 degrees AND their nose up OR nose down is either 0.0 degrees or towards nose up (very rare IMO)

Here is my theory, in the context that a theory may easily be proven wrong but never proven right (if it were right".

Take a 2011 for example:

The caster spec is:
RH 3.90 +/- 2.90
LH 4.30 +/- 2.90

My theory says that Ford manufactures the parts such that if the top of the upper ball joint is centered perfectly then the resulting runtime caster is going to be at spec +/- nose attitude (minus for nose down, plus for nose up).

AND

The resulting camber will be 0.0 +/- angular effect of spring loading (compression).

This is just a theory, please help to prove it wrong.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:05 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JWA
I do wonder if +5 Caster is "good" why don't we push that to +6? What would that yield?
I don't know specifically about vans but on cars you can get something called caster shock and can affect your scrub radius

Old 07-15-2017, 01:01 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner

I don't know specifically about vans but on cars you can get something called caster shock and can affect your scrub radius
Do NOT want that affected---Michelin LTX's are expensive enough with their already long life.

Originally Posted by Harvard

This is just a theory, please help to prove it wrong.
How are we inducing nose attitude changes---is that a function of changing caster from +3 to +5?

Quick Reply: a real econoline steering fix!