1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

a real econoline steering fix!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 PM
ziobro
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may fit, but compare to the OEM bracket that mounts to the frame. Four holes on one surface versus two on this same plane plus the 90^ bend to catch and locate on the bottom of the frame. Fords is also twice as thick. You could get the lower cost one and figure which of the two positions to use, drill and mount, and wonder if the attachment diameter is in the right place. It will work, but you will spend time drilling out the frame. Either way I hope your satisfied. I added to a 1999 e350 and am very pleased. Best of success.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I think I will get the OEM brackets-the higher cost seems to be worth it. I will buy the Monroe stabilizer since it seems to be the same as the OEM.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ziobro
The somewhat critical bracket that mounts to the frame is different than the one I ordered through ford. The four bolt backing plate looks like it is designed to overlay the frame on the outside, associated bracket on inside. I figure you would then drill through the frame. For $100 more it would be worth it to me to get the correct ford bracket that lined up with pre-existing holes in my chassis. I know it is in the right horizontal plane as the L shape cradles the frame and the holes lined up. Amazing difference in the elimination of drift at speed. Fairly easy do it yourself task with correct parts.
Good luck

No holes in pre-91 Vans

Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 AM
andrewzx92000
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried the other kits over the years and they don't work any where near as good as the Ford set up I used
Andrew.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:53 AM
cherokeexj32
Senior User
steering stabilizer

I installed the stabilizer on my 05 E350 and the steering is now much better. Thanks for sharing this info!!!!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Old Man Bo
New User
I an new to this forum, first post, and came here specifically to look for a fix for the horrible steering on my wife's 2001 E350 based Dynamax Starflyte motor home. My wife bought this MH with 9000 miles on the odo and it now has slightly over 50k miles. I have been driving and cussing it for all of those miles. The chassis is a dual wheel model and came with a factory steering stabilizer. It has all the bad characteristics I've seen described in the posts in this thread and I have added a Hellwig rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein shocks, Michelin tires and Firestone Ride Right air bags in attempts to solve the unsafe handling. I also had it in a truck alignment shop twice to check all steering components and adjust tow-in and Caster for optimum steering. Everything I did helped a little but not enough to make me comfortable driving it. BTW: I also had a 97 F250 with large slide-in camper that I loved to drive. The difference between the F and E driving was like night and day so I concluded something must be wrong with the E350 and was looking for an improved after market steering box, the next thing to try on my list. This thread really caught my attention. I guess it will be worth trying an after market stabilizer in place of the original stock stabilizer since I already have the brackets. If that fixes the problem I will be ecstatic. But then one post did state that the dead center and steering slop was inherent in the stock gearbox. So, maybe I will still be looking for an improved gearbox. Does anyone know of such an after market box?

Hope I didn't sound too negative. I was a real fan of my Ford trucks and like the V10 and transmission in the MH but steering in the MH just doesn't seem like something that would be found in a Ford.

Larry

Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Larry you might try this outfit: Red-Head Steering Gears - Custom Rebuilt Steering Gear Boxes in USA as they're very well respected by past users.

Keep in mind they simply rebuild stock boxes which may not fix or lessen your center-point slop issue. I can't hurt to call and talk with them though if you're serious about replacing your existing steering gear or box.

HTH

Old 08-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Old Man Bo
New User
Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of contacting Red Head before posting here but think I will first try the steering dampener upgrade. I like to start with the low cost and easy solutions first. Changing the steering gear looks like a pain.

Larry

Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Vanaddiction
Senior User
Old Man Bo, you might want to give this thread a read.
Steering gear adjustment...done right

Keep in mind this pertains to steering gears that are in good condition, but may not yet be set up to perform at their best.

My van has 38k on it now and does have a new steering stabilizer which I installed after reading this thread. I like the effect of the stabilizer, but after a while felt there was still room for improvement. I have driven about 4000 mi since doing the steering gear adjustment this way and I feel I have the best control ever in a van. If you need more info or have questions about the adjustment, please post in that thread.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:44 AM
snoopykissedlucy
New User
Super long thread but GREAT info!
I'm too cheap to buy the Ford Brackets but feel I can make them out of plate and boxed steel tubing.
Someone on here earlier said they made them from scrap. Does anyone have the dimensions of the large bracket?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 AM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by snoopykissedlucy
Super long thread but GREAT info!
I'm too cheap to buy the Ford Brackets but feel I can make them out of plate and boxed steel tubing.
Someone on here earlier said they made them from scrap. Does anyone have the dimensions of the large bracket?

Thanks a bunch!
I can measure the bracket this weekend.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:41 AM
econolinemanor
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get a kick out of this tread, or maybe it's bump steer......LOL,

Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
I installed the OEM steering stabilizer and put about 4000 miles on it so far. It was a relief driving in the mountains and windy areas. Around town, I did not notice any difference.

Some people say that their vans handle like a mini van after installing the OEM stabilizer. Even my lightweight E150 is a heavy weight compared to a mini van. Additionally, most mini vans are front wheel drive. It drives like pick up truck.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:27 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 93 Likes on 87 Posts
I find it amazing that I've driven my van for 12 years without one, an extended 99 E-350, one hand, my right, my left operates the gas and brake, drives like a dream, I never noticed how good until I bought the 73 E-100. In all my years of owning 4x4 trucks, with oversize tires, I learned when there are issues, it's due to worn parts, a stabilizer will cover it up, but does not fix what is broken, usually it's a bad tie rod end, poorly adjusted steering box, or worn out steering gears, you're better off fixing the problem first.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:25 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by econolinemanor
I get a kick out of this tread, or maybe it's bump steer......LOL,
Okay now you've done it---add one more thing to the mix huh?

I think (<<highly subject to being massively incorrect!) bump steer shouldn't be an issue with any stock E-Series front end assuming its in good working order.

Theoretically bump steer is induced mostly when/if suspension geometry has been altered from stock.

Quick Reply: a real econoline steering fix!