Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

WOW Tulsa is pretty much shut down!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Skid steer

Back a few years ago that would have been a Bobcat loader.

Today every equipment manufacturer out there has a skid steer loader.

Rain here, so I get a break from the snow this time out.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:29 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ADTMan
My lord you are SO RIGHT! I did venture out today. First time I ever put chains on the FRONT TIRES! WOW now that was cool! LOL I navigated quite well, just took it easy, about 15 mph, that was the lightening speed! LOL I so helped tons of people get unstuck! LOL I just used the front bumper with a pintle hitch in the receiver and a good tow rope! Yanked them all over the place. The best ones were the ambulances and fire trucks! That was cool! I did not ask for money but some people tipped anyway. I made 26 bux! HAHAHAHAHHA Have fun y'all! Be safe slow and steady.

Eaton, a skid steer is more commonly referred to as a Bobcat. However that is the "brand". A small wheel loader if you will. It is versatile enough to operate many, many different attachments. I just use my demolition bucket. It is wide and I can really dig in and get the ice up too. Plow trucks around here leave ice. That is why plow truck guys have to get out and ice melt everything. It is easier to ice melt everything now matter what is plowing it. But easier with a skid steer.

OK, a Bobcat. Now I know why it took so long. At least you can get the ice, which is the important part.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
We got about 6 inches of pure sleet. the damndest tring, its like plowin sand, and driveing in sand. then we got freezeing rain, almost a half inch. SR 501 was a compleat sheet of ice. second gear, 15 mph all the way home last night. it was so slick i stopped to check on someone that went in the ditch and my truck, while stopped, was slideing down the crown of the road.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well Tulsa broke records! We have officially gotten more than 13 inches of snow. I think 13.3 inches total, previous record was 12.8 inches back in '06. WOW and this is officially our second blizzard. The first one was Christmas Eve 2009. I so did not have any plow stuff going on. Couldn't. But people are paying up to 150 per driveway cleared with a skid steer! LOL DAMN! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Simple driveway takes less than 30 minutes! That includes loading and unloading the tractor. Hell most guys are just driving their skid steer from house to house! Most times they have the whole block lined up! LESS TIME = MORE MONEY! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh well que sera sera! It is going to be worse when this stuff freezes really hard tomorrow.
Wow, you must not get that much snow there. I think NYC's record was broken in 2006 when we got 27 inches. We almost broke it this winter right after christmas with 25 inches of snow.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
Skid steer

Back a few years ago that would have been a Bobcat loader.

Today every equipment manufacturer out there has a skid steer loader.

Rain here, so I get a break from the snow this time out.
Thats what I meant when I said skid steer. Its a 843 Bobcat, almost flipped in that thing yesterday.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Man there's GLOBAL WARMING stacking up all over the place.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:30 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its like 70 here in cali

Old 02-02-2011, 05:38 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turned out not as bad as they made it sound with all the hype up here. Or at least it's no match for my Ford powered snow removal task force

We had some nice snow drifts in front of the garage and I didn't want to hand shovel them out so they both had to start today w/o their block heaters - started good as usual!

I must say I'm extremely pleased with how my truck is set up for plowing now. The extra height gives me enough clearance that I haven't gotten stuck yet this year. Plus as a benefit I can push the snow piles quite a bit higher so I get more efficient use of my pile area before I have to haul it away. Yup, I can push the snow higher than a Chevy 2500!

The real kicker was the darn sidewalk - the thing had a huge drift down nearly the entire thing. No snow blower so I had to hand shovel it. The backhoe started to look pretty tempting part way through... For size reference the big dog is a full grown lab.

My Ford equipment worked so efficiently that I even made it out to the airport and plowed out the hangar before the city got done opening up the runways and taxiways!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM
38Chevy454
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty much slowed things to a crawl here in NM. The roads are not too bad, but being so cold, the roads are packed snow and ice for most part. Lots of accidents around the whole state due to the ice. The plow trucks have been out and doing OK trying to keep on top of it. The wind blows the snow all around, so hard to keep the roads clear. It is -7F right now at my house. Too cold to want to get out on my Ford 9N tractor to clear the driveway. About 12 inches here at 7100 ft, less down in Albuquerque like 4 inches range. My work had a burst pipe in the hot water heating system, it was down to 40 degrees inside, so no work today. They let us go home early yesterday since roads were bad. Wonder if I get tomorrow off due to no heat in bldg????

Old 02-02-2011, 06:58 PM
ADTMan
Elder User
Well Tulsa officially had 14 inches. We broke our previous record of 12.8. No we don't usually get that much snow here. It is kind of odd that the last two winters have given us a blizzard! So much for this year, I will be ready for next year. Knowing my luck we wont even get a dusting of snow! LMAO Damn Oklahoma weather!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well Tulsa officially had 14 inches. We broke our previous record of 12.8. No we don't usually get that much snow here. It is kind of odd that the last two winters have given us a blizzard! So much for this year, I will be ready for next year. Knowing my luck we wont even get a dusting of snow! LMAO Damn Oklahoma weather!
I'm over in Sapulpa, and we got about the same amount of snow. Managed to get my driveway cleared, along with the 2ft tall berm of packed snow left by the snowplows that made a late night pass down my street. Kinda odd to see snowplows here in the neighborhood, but very welcome sight.
Got the truck out of the backyard, up the alley, and into my driveway. Don't want to get out on the streets, as there's no sign of sand or salt anywhere, but at least I have the ability to go if needed. May only be 2wd, but BFG AT's dig thru snow pretty decent. Come spring, I'm going back on the hunt for a 4wd donor...... That oughta keep the snow away for a few years......

Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
45 and rain this morning.
38 with flurries by noon.
30 with light snow by 5 PM
16 with light snow now

The ice stayed up in PA for the most part with the snow north of that.

So we let our snow dollars head north for a change.

The last really nasty storm we had was Presidents Day 2003.
About 1/2" of ice first, the 30" of snow on top of that.

Chains on all 4 wheels, and glad I have positive traction in both axles.
Without all that, you dropped the blade and moved about 3 feet, then just sat there on the ice spinning.

So far this winter, no big snow amounts in any one storm, but they just keep coming every couple days.

I was ready for a break, and glad the warm temps did get to melt some of our piles down some.
I have a couple customers that another storm would have required hauling out some of what was piled up in my snow storage areas, they were all full.

843 is a tiny skid steer.
Lots better than a shovel though.

The closest thing in the Bobcat lineup to our 252 Cat would be an 873, but it won't pick up as much weight in the bucket.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:32 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Yep, I guess kinda tiny but much better that a shovel, true. I think the bucket is rated for 1,500 lbs and snow is all its really used for, so it serves its purpose.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:59 PM
ADTMan
Elder User
Guys with skid steers are getting lots done much much faster then guys with tractors that have a loader and a box blade. Obvious reasons there. My Bobcat is an 863, 75HP Duetz Diesel and a 2000 lb lift capacity. I have had no issues in the past with my little guy. A friend of mine has cleared......15000 grand in 3 days and 2 nights of work!!!!! SHEESH, I so wish my trucks were behaving. Mine would be out working too. The skid steers are even doing a better job than the plow trucks. It is amazing to see guys running around here in half ton 2wds plowing. They SURE DONT GET MUCH DONE! I have also seen mini-exs out pushing snow with their little bitty dozer blades. Now that is funny to watch. They only move like 3 feet before they are completely useless. LOL But guys are plowing in the bucks for sure!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:03 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Yeah, I think the 843 is like a 50 hp. It works hard enough for what I need it for. Almost flipped backwards in it 2 days ago - that was scary and kinda dumb on my part too.

Quick Reply: WOW Tulsa is pretty much shut down!