Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now,I am REALLY stumped!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:43 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that is what i am thinking also,that is where i am going to start,maybe tomorrow,can't work on it today,other obligations.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:42 PM
deeznuts822
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You ever figure this out?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:40 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

no,replaced cap and rotor today,still not enough spark,I borrowed a noid light,going to check and see if the injectors are firing,if those prove out ok,then I guess I will replace the dizzy,not real sure what else to do right now.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

well,just did the noid light test,injectors are firing,so not really sure what is going on now,the spark is blue now since I replaced the dist cap and rotor,really at a loss at what to do next.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:46 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Don't really mean to nose in this late in the game...

As someone, and maybe the Poster did mention about the PIP, could the PCM not receive the PIP, and not fire the engine over? If you didn't have PIP, would you still have spark? I'm unsure, that's why I am asking too. If there is blue spark, could something else have gone awry in the time that has elasped since the beginning of the Post. Perhaps the neutral saftey switch is now causing problems? Would you have spark if the saftey switch was going bad? I'm just as curious about this problem and I hope with all our suggestions and ideas, hopefully somewhere down the road, his problem will get resolved.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

those are good questions,timbersteel. I am really starting to suspect internal engine failure,going to do a compression check tomorrow,then pull the dizzy and replace it with one a friend snuck out of a local parts store so i don't have to pay for it,to see if that is the problem,then I will buy it.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:23 PM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
I would throw in a new set of Autolite or Motorcraft spark plugs while you got them out doing a compression test. I would also get a can of starting fluid to help it out.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

plugs are cheap and it has been a couple years,wouldn't hurt to replace them.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:24 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I had originally written a reply concerning replacing the plugs, erased it, since another member posted it that before, but did not know that you hadn't since having all the issues. I would definately try that Cjben. That and with help from you local parts house friend, perhaps trying a diff. dizzy may help as well!

Good Luck! Will definately be around to see your progresss!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 AM
deeznuts822
Elder User
I would say that if the injectors are firing then the pip is doing something. When you change out the plugs id turn it over by the starter relay to clear any extra fuel from the motor. I would double check the rotor position on #1 compression stroke to verify that the timing chain didnt jump.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 AM
F-series Fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neutral safety switches only interrupt the starting circuit, they do not affect spark or timing in any way, also activates back-up lamps.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:52 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Well,Bad news on the compression test,numbers are very low. I am not sure if they are low enough to not have enough compression to start the engine,but they do tell me to start shopping for a new/used engine. Here they are:
FRONT OF ENGINE
1)110 5)70
2)90 6)95
3)100 7)65
4couldn't get the 8)85
tester hooked up
because of the firewall

tomorrow I am going to go ahead and put new plugs in and see if she will start,but my days of being a ford truck owner are most likely numbered. I do not have money for a new truck,can't get the truck in the garage when it's not running,and really don't have time to do an engine swap myself. sad day for me

Old 02-17-2011, 04:00 PM
deeznuts822
Elder User
Timing chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost bet that with new plugs it may start but It probably wont run for crap. You could try advancing the wires on the cap one terminal to see if it may start. I actually had this same problem a few years back,double and triple checked the timing at tdc and rotor. Seemed ok but with starting up with new plugs and the wires moved i didnt have to push it in the garage but it only went 2 ft at a time. Even with the new chain the truck was very hard to start,due to the amounts of fuel in the engine. I actually had half of the teeth gone but not at tdc so i didnt see a lot of movement in the chain by turning the pulley. I was ready to change out the engine so i pulled the timing cover and found my problem pretty fast.

Last edited by deeznuts822; 02-17-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Forgot something.....
Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 PM
drjoe171
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, sorry for your loss, hope it's not true and is something easier like t chain or gears. or better yet, a mouse / mud bees nest blocking the intake. or collapsed exhaust/coverter.

Did it ever run? Is it new to you?
what/how long did it take to go bad?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by deeznuts822
Timing chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost bet that with new plugs it may start but It probably wont run for crap. You could try advancing the wires on the cap one terminal to see if it may start. I actually had this same problem a few years back,double and triple checked the timing at tdc and rotor. Seemed ok but with starting up with new plugs and the wires moved i didnt have to push it in the garage but it only went 2 ft at a time. Even with the new chain the truck was very hard to start,due to the amounts of fuel in the engine. I actually had half of the teeth gone but not at tdc so i didnt see a lot of movement in the chain by turning the pulley. I was ready to change out the engine so i pulled the timing cover and found my problem pretty fast.
if it were the timinmg chain,wouldn't there be slack in it when I turned the motor backwards? I turned the motor backwards and watched the rotor,there wasn't a bit of slack. I do agree,it may be the timing chain because it did this all of a sudden,it was running GREAT before it died. Is there another way to check and see if it is the timing chain? Like i posted before,timing marks are dead on.

Originally Posted by drjoe171
First of all, sorry for your loss, hope it's not true and is something easier like t chain or gears. or better yet, a mouse / mud bees nest blocking the intake. or collapsed exhaust/coverter.

Did it ever run? Is it new to you?
what/how long did it take to go bad?
I have had the truck 3 years,was running GREAT before it died suddenly a month ago.

Quick Reply: Now,I am REALLY stumped!!