6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2010 King Ranch 6,400 mi found on road dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wp6529
To the OP:

You are solely responsible for running your truck out of fuel.
Whoa up, now! I don't think anyone has proven that the OP ran his truck out of fuel. As a matter of fact, I'm betting that he did not!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
You are solely responsible for running your truck out of fuel. The fact that adding 5 gallons of fuel didn't let it start is not indicitive of any fault with the engine. Pretty much all diesel vehicles will require tedious priming if you run them dry, they are not at all like a gas vehicle where where an in tank fuel pump is all there is and can push air out of the system via the fuel pressure regulator and return line.

Bash yourself on this one, not the truck, and hope you didn't damage the HPFP trying to start the truck without properly purging the air out of the fuel system. Run a Dodge or GM diesel out of fuel and you'll have the same priming issues.
This reminds me of a recent thread of a broken t-case. A couple guys started throwing the same idea around, that the OP did it negligently by high-centering the truck. And then the dealer found the real cause, which was a chain in the T-case that came apart.

I don't know the exact details, but there is nothing posted as of yet leads me to believe that he ran the truck out of fuel. 26 miles to empty should have left at least 4 or 5 gallons in the tank. Both my '08 and my '11 have gotten t this point, and I ALWAYS had at least several gallons left in the tank.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Exclamation Off topic!

Ooookay. This thread is starting to get out of hand.

So far, in the 24 hours this thread has existed we've seen off topic arguing as well as personal attacks.

It doesn't matter who started it or why, this is NOT the place for it. This is a technical forum, for discussing issues related to the 6.4L Powerstroke engine.

PLEASE stop the off topic arguing.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 PM
itsabowtime2
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GreyRanch
I'm sorry guys but this is ridiculous. You are rattling off a whole list of things that go wrong every 10 or 20k mi and this is a great motor??? When I spend 60K plus on a diesel rig I expect no problems for at least over 100K mi. If you think that is a good motor we must have different standards.

Changing out three radiators is unsat. That equals piece of crap.....Breaking down in the middle of the freeway with less than 6,500mi and all maintenance done by Ford according to the service manual equals lemon

Put it this way this motor doesn't exactly have a good track record, it isn't exactly a Cummins 5.9l, If I could do it over I would have never bought this truck. Sorry to pee on the Ford parade, but this is just my experience/opinion. I think the only thing I like about this truck is the King Ranch leather.....

Grey
I have to agree with you. When you spend the kind of money you must spend to get a diesel powered truck you have a reasonable expectation not to have any major issues for atleast 50, if not 100k plus.

In boating circles (perhaps less knowledgeable, but perhaps also less bias) the general rule is only buy a Ford 7.3 diesel if you go diesel.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 PM
caycebugs
Junior User
GreyRanch, hope you get your truck back soon. If it is a major problem and it cannot be repaired before your trip, I would raise hell until the dealer or Ford found you a loner that will haul what you need to. I would not take no for an answer.Good Luck

Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Ooookay. This thread is starting to get out of hand.

So far, in the 24 hours this thread has existed we've seen off topic arguing as well as personal attacks.

It doesn't matter who started it or why, this is NOT the place for it. This is a technical forum, for discussing issues related to the 6.4L Powerstroke engine.

PLEASE stop the off topic arguing.

Thanks!
I agree guys, I HIGHLY doubt this was an issue caused by lack of fuel. I'll back up my truck and its motor every step of the way but let GreyRanch get his wheels back on the road and I'm sure his attitude will turn around. We've all been in his shoes so we can cut him some slack, plus he did apologize for his early 6.4 bashing. Just a simple case of a guy venting his frustrations. And the fact that he drives a 6.4 makes him a supporter like each one of us.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:13 AM
MD05
Senior User
Originally Posted by GreyRanch
Sorry guys, this is just a frustrating time right now. I know you are all Ford lovers and I also am too or I wouldn't have bought one. Hopefully this works out in the end. Apologies if I came off harsh in the posts. As I find out info I'll update and maybe we can learn something from the results.

And Mr. Larry I am not rich. I'm a military member. You don't get rich in the military. Also please spare me your preacher drugstore psychology. I know people are starving in this world, I used to be one of them.

REMOVED

Grey
Now that you have calmed down.... Maybe you can tell us what is broken in your new rig?

Feel your pain..... try fixing a 600hp Kenworth when it is broken down on the Alcan.... no profit that week (read no Money coming in to feed the bills and family) You are just missing out on a sand due vacation........ please. Rent a truck.

While we do love or Ford truck they are not without their own issues, niether are Dodge truck or Chevy trucks.... If you use dot be one of the Starving people of the world you shoudl have a slightly better attitude on life. Stuff happens even to New things, Ever have that happen in the Millitary, I have. Got over it and stop crying on our forum. We are here to support and if possible help.

Retired Navy filght crew.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 PM
kjstanger
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bounds-Electric
109,000+ MILES NO MAJOR PROBLEMS!
+1
46,000+ and not even a hiccup. regularly towing 9000+lbs trailer and still no problem.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 PM
GreyRanch
Freshman User
The dealer called and told me the high pressure fuel pump failed and contaminated the entire fuel system with metal shavings. They got Ford's approval to take off the cab and replace the entire fuel system.

Right now the tank and lines are being cleaned, they have injectors but need to order some of the parts that should be here tomorrow. I asked if failure was due to lack of fuel and they said no....The high pressure fuel pump appears to have just failed. Where is the HPFP located?

Grey

Old 02-02-2011, 05:42 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
HPFP is located on top of the motor, in the back under the turbos.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Just started reading the thread today.
I had the same problem at 38k.
After much research with Ford and online and with the Ford mechs it breaks down to this.
The problem is a design flaw that involves mid case gasket sizing on the HPFP and the two regulators mounted on the pump shorting out and wreaking havoc with the pump.
Ford won't talk about it, but they will fix it. If your buying bad fuel and not changing filters regularly they will give you some grief.
The fix is a new thicker gasket and harnessing the wires to the regulators so they don't flail around.
Sounds like a prehistoric fix but I am assured by many sources that it works well.
Also, the gasket is in short supply as this is pretty big problem.
Mine took three plus weeks to get finished.
Still love my Ford, but understand why they designed their own engine.
Call Ford customer service and open a file on your problem. They really do try to help you.
No loaner but they can make sure you're in line to get a gasket.
There are also a couple of YouTube vids on fuel pump replacement.
Good luck

Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry NCKS
Whoa up, now! I don't think anyone has proven that the OP ran his truck out of fuel. As a matter of fact, I'm betting that he did not!
If we assume that the MTE indication was even within 10 miles of correct, there was so little fuel in the tank that the pickup would be sucking air under hard braking or acceleration. Low enough to be sucking air meets my definition of running the truck out of fuel.

It's fortunate that Ford is fixing the HPFP and downstream damage, which may or may not be related to sucking air into the fuel system. Certainly sucking air into a hydraulic pump operating at a measly 2,500 PSI is well known to damage them, the HPFP in these trucks operates up to 26,000 PSI so I have not doubt that sucking air into the HPFP has a good chance of damaging it. Hopefully the OP will ensure he doesn't run his fuel tank low enough again to ever test the theory.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Not saying all trucks are equal, but I've run my truck beyond zero miles to empty on two occasions and have not had problems but one time. That time the engine went into what I think was a computer forced surge mode to warn me I was pushing the limit. I still made it to the fuel station 2 or 3 miles down the road. That was miles ago and I've seen no adverse effects to my fuel system from doing so.

Mine is a long box too. It has a 39 gallon tank. That may or may not be different than the OPs truck. Even in this isolated instance where I really pushed it, I could only get 35 - 36 gallons in the tank.

In other words, I don't think one can run one of these out of fuel without really trying. The OP stated that he showed 35 miles to empty. While it isn't a good practice to get this close to empty on a regular basis, I do not believe he was negligent running his truck this close to empty. Neither do I believe it contributed in any way to his problem, nor apparently does his dealer.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
There is a power reduction mode if you get to low. There is also a code that is stored in the computer for low fuel/reduced power.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 PM
GreyRanch
Freshman User
If we assume that the MTE indication was even within 10 miles of correct, there was so little fuel in the tank that the pickup would be sucking air under hard braking or acceleration. Low enough to be sucking air meets my definition of running the truck out of fuel.

It's fortunate that Ford is fixing the HPFP and downstream damage, which may or may not be related to sucking air into the fuel system. Certainly sucking air into a hydraulic pump operating at a measly 2,500 PSI is well known to damage them, the HPFP in these trucks operates up to 26,000 PSI so I have not doubt that sucking air into the HPFP has a good chance of damaging it. Hopefully the OP will ensure he doesn't run his fuel tank low enough again to ever test the theory.
I think the last two posts pretty much debunked your theory. But let's say the MTE was incorrect by 9-10 miles...I only had 26 mi til empty. That's at least 2 gallons since I only get 13 mpg. The manual says the truck will start from empty with one gallon of fuel. I didn't brake, accelerate, swerve or hit any bumps for about 20 miles until it died. Pretty much smooth sailing. So your theory doesn't apply to this particular situation.

Quick Reply: 2010 King Ranch 6,400 mi found on road dead